WORKDAYS @ HORSEPOWER PARK (NEW PARK)

I don't see anything wrong with asking public for help with getting a place ready to wheel/make trails/clean up, etc. etc. In my view, and as Jason stated, for those who love something and are so passionate about it, putting in some "free" "voluntary" time into that said hobby/sport/activity/place is nothing short of what I personally see as "the thing to do" and forget about the money and politics and all that nonsense. Why everything always got to be about money??? I don't make a lot of money but I gladly paid for membership at the flats even though I might have only gone like few times...it's the fact of supporting an awesome local place for me to go when I can and know I'm contributing to the availability of it's operation. Yeah it might have closed for now or forever but at least I know I contributed to the help of it remaining for the years that I did.
We all know the "Off Road scene" is already looked down upon by "organizations" and always looking for reasons to shut us down, so parks are more limited than ever these days. A new or existing place looking for volunteers is an awesome way for them and the public/lovers of the sport to connect and work together to build/maintain such place. So what if somewhere in the process things get hazy or drama or even don't work out...that's life. Work, life, family, hobbies everything has problems and drama and issues but we all deal with them everyday and we all have a choice of how we deal with them. For years of attending the Flats and several times at the Shop, it mind boggled me of how much "drama" talking I always overheard ...I just turned the other way and kept going. I'm not there to gossip and get into the "drama"...I'm there to do my passion and have fun doing it and not let anyone take it away from me!!
And a New Park or Existing Park asking for help is not benefiting them, it benefits the users more than anything which is us!! Again, if you love something you make time for it and put time into it no matter who or what circumstances might try and stop/prevent you and you love that sport/hobby so much, you leave the drama at the door and focus on your passion (unless of course something really crazy or must deal with occurs). I'm sure there is "favoritism", "partiality" and whatever other "nonsense" involved with past/present/future Off Road Parks just as you would have with anything else in life but this is supposed to be our thing....our getaway place to escape the world, escape reality, escape stress and burdens and be just you-the woods-and your rig having an all out blast. Life is full of so much crap already so why let that stuff enter in the place where it's supposed to be free from that just for that moment. This should be a time with our rigs and friends/family to enjoy each other and the sport!!! (I will add should not be a time to get drunk at night and act a fool either or drinking during the day wheeling too as I've seen so many do. That's disrespectful to the owner of the Park, and disrespectful to everyone there because if the person drinking did something stupid, got hurt, required medical attention and ambulance/police were called to the place, then since alcohol/whatever was involved would again give the park and community more bad image as it already has, just sayin).

A7B50EFE-BA11-47E2-BC84-71A71504DB5F.gif

I don't see anything wrong with asking public for help with getting a place ready to wheel/make trails/clean up, etc. etc. In my view, and as Jason stated, for those who love something and are so passionate about it, putting in some "free" "voluntary" time into that said hobby/sport/activity/place is nothing short of what I personally see as "the thing to do" and forget about the money and politics and all that nonsense. Why everything always got to be about money??? I don't make a lot of money but I gladly paid for membership at the flats even though I might have only gone like few times...it's the fact of supporting an awesome local place for me to go when I can and know I'm contributing to the availability of it's operation. Yeah it might have closed for now or forever but at least I know I contributed to the help of it remaining for the years that I did.
We all know the "Off Road scene" is already looked down upon by "organizations" and always looking for reasons to shut us down, so parks are more limited than ever these days. A new or existing place looking for volunteers is an awesome way for them and the public/lovers of the sport to connect and work together to build/maintain such place. So what if somewhere in the process things get hazy or drama or even don't work out...that's life. Work, life, family, hobbies everything has problems and drama and issues but we all deal with them everyday and we all have a choice of how we deal with them. For years of attending the Flats and several times at the Shop, it mind boggled me of how much "drama" talking I always overheard ...I just turned the other way and kept going. I'm not there to gossip and get into the "drama"...I'm there to do my passion and have fun doing it and not let anyone take it away from me!!
And a New Park or Existing Park asking for help is not benefiting them, it benefits the users more than anything which is us!! Again, if you love something you make time for it and put time into it no matter who or what circumstances might try and stop/prevent you and you love that sport/hobby so much, you leave the drama at the door and focus on your passion (unless of course something really crazy or must deal with occurs). I'm sure there is "favoritism", "partiality" and whatever other "nonsense" involved with past/present/future Off Road Parks just as you would have with anything else in life but this is supposed to be our thing....our getaway place to escape the world, escape reality, escape stress and burdens and be just you-the woods-and your rig having an all out blast. Life is full of so much crap already so why let that stuff enter in the place where it's supposed to be free from that just for that moment. This should be a time with our rigs and friends/family to enjoy each other and the sport!!! (I will add should not be a time to get drunk at night and act a fool either or drinking during the day wheeling too as I've seen so many do. That's disrespectful to the owner of the Park, and disrespectful to everyone there because if the person drinking did something stupid, got hurt, required medical attention and ambulance/police were called to the place, then since alcohol/whatever was involved would again give the park and community more bad image as it already has, just sayin).
Business, revenue, recreation.
Hobby, donation, comradery.

You can blend them but it will always separate like oil and water.

I've been watching and reading this thread. There is a lot I could say about all the situations. But, to not dive into the drama, or create more. I won't
If you will read back in the first thread about this new park, I suggested that the park get in touch with a club to help support it. to be honest, I was referring to Rock Corps 4X4.
RC had the flats and lost it, mainly due to not protecting it's self with the legalities of a lease and so on. They then found the SHOP, and DID do everything they could to protect themselves.
But from the start, the land owners were an issue. Unreasonable requests, well, there were many. Eventually, it was just too much and RC took their out, that was written within the lease.
They reconnected to the Flats, membership dues were increased, but they could ride there when they wanted to. They were not asked to be involved at all in the upkeep of The Flats at all, but, they were only going to be able to have one event a year. That event would be the annual toy run. They never got to have that ride, due to The Flats closing. Due to all the membership money going to The Flats, there was no more treasury. No money to pay the insurance the club had secured, to protect the club and it's members. No money to pay for their PO box, no monies to help out small needs with arose from time to time. So, Basically, RC was in limbo as far as an actual club.At least, that is how I saw it. And, BTW, I have not been a member for several years. I separated from RC way before they cancelled the lease on The SHOP.

Now if you look back at the local places and who run them,
The Farm, in Pumpkin center. Ran by The BDB, non profit, all profits went to different needs. No member gained a single dime.
The Flats, and the SHOP, when ran by RC, non profit, all revenues, went into the property or a need within the community, and there were MANY!
The Flats when run by Jason, was a for profit adventure. He and a very select others, maintained and ran the property. He didn't make a call out for free labor.

Now this new place, which is a for profit park, was bought by the new owners to do something they love and to cater to different groups, which has to be for profit, to be able to run.

Is there anything wrong to ask for help? IMO no. Should there be some benefit for those who do come help? IMO yes, sure, award good actions. But if it is not agreed on, then it shouldn't be expected.
But, IMO if the new owners did offer, or even give of something even after the fact, would put a nice feather in their cap showing their appreciation for peoples time and efforts.

There is no need to find or look for the good, bad, right or wrong of it. It is what it is. If you don't agree, simply do not go.

I do wish this new park great success!

I don’t have a dog in the fight...I don’t know all the details that have gone down, but I do understand the saltiness. I do understand it’s poor optics a for profit asking for volunteers. However, when it’s come to off-roading and racing, I’ve always looked at it as a greater good scenario and leaned more towards fullers viewpoint...all for one, one for all, to do what has to be done to jump start venues and to keep them open. Always thought that was one of the best traits of the community, know we’re a target, know venues are shutting down, set the egos and butthurt aside and help to get the job done, maybe it lasts, maybe it doesn’t...or don’t and complain the closest place to go is 6 hours away or too easy. One of the greatest tragedies is doing something and expecting something in return.

Well said Mr. Fuller!

Thank you to all who came out today and helped! We got a lot done w/ several trails cleaned out and a few new cut. After the second workday we will be ready to put some traffic on it and hopefully get to play some so come help If you choose & bring ya rig! November 16th 9am. Thanks again!

Any progress pics? Are you working out there this weekend?

so is this place like available to go play around? like any weekend?

This was a fun Sunday night read. Last post was December 8th. Leaves me wondering.

@jaybird1ton what is the current situation to your knowledge? I understand we are still working through the holidays and we’re busy. But very curious on obtaining more information on the park. Where can I see pictures? website? You may not know since you are not directly responsible, but would love to know where to look or who to contact.

Thanks.

This was a fun Sunday night read. Last post was December 8th. Leaves me wondering.

@jaybird1ton what is the current situation to your knowledge? I understand we are still working through the holidays and we’re busy. But very curious on obtaining more information on the park. Where can I see pictures? website? You may not know since you are not directly responsible, but would love to know where to look or who to contact.

Thanks.
you can contact me if you'd like, 828-284-1302. I sought out the owners and have made good friends with them and have been going out for a while for workdays with little play every week. It's gonna be a great place with lots of potential for every kind of wheeling, including some pretty crazy hill climbs but will generally for a while be more of a Uwharrie type of place until obstacle courses are made, rock gardens, walls,, etc..,but as any new park it requires much time and work to get things there. Currently has only been just a friend and me going but didn't want or feel the need to post on here trying to round up more since well,...I've seen where everyone stands on that topic and could care less. I am dedicated to this place, it's close to home, owners are awesome family friendly people with great vision for the park, and I'm not interested in any of the bs drama or politics or money aspect of all of this. I'm doing this because I want a new place to wheel since we lost the flats, and it feels great knowing I'm getting to cut trails and help make the place great by putting in my time for me to have a place to wheel. We are actually going out today, 12-30 for another work day. I'll try to answer if you call but with chainsaws running bare with me. Thanks, John Fuller

Pictures don't do it justice but here's some of the hill climbs. They're steep, a few we cut (not pictured) are stupid steep with ledges up top. We cut those for the crazy high hp buggies. We have a whole mountain of trails wide enough for everyone to ride without any body damage, and roughly 9 really good hill climbs, 3 crazy steep ones. Some would be yellow rated...will get better pictures next round out.
IMG_20191230_135424.jpg
IMG_20191230_135400.jpg
IMG_20191224_150641.jpg
IMG_20191224_134336.jpg
IMG_20191224_134322.jpg

Please name at least one obstacle Fuller Pass.

Thanks for your work there John.
Hey never thought of that, probably will now that you mention it. Does that mean it has to be something that I'm able to do LOL

Soon we will try and plan a ride to get some buggies to test these trails out and get some traffic on em

Hey never thought of that, probably will now that you mention it. Does that mean it has to be something that I'm able to do LOL
The trail should not be 1 continuous trail, just change names in the middle then another name!

Looks like a swamp at the bottom of some of those. If that is the case they will be rutted and impassable very quick.... Just my humble opinion....

Looks like a swamp at the bottom of some of those. If that is the case they will be rutted and impassable very quick.... Just my humble opinion....
It's not, hard bottom with standing water. but we made a trail that goes all along the bottom of that mountain for access to each Hill climb

Those look like the existing Hill climbs that mid East uses for their races . They'd be dumb to go in and ruin the one thing that brings thousands of people to Antioch each year, hopefully not messing the hare scramble course up too much.
There would definitely have to be separate trails for dirt bikes. They bring in big money.

Back