Would you rather? (Financial Question)

Would You Rather?

• Total voters
We're both in our mid 20's. We have a little over $20k in our checking account with $3,000 in a safe at our house. Our highest debt is 3.25% which is the mortgage. Like I said, both vehicles are 1.9% interest rate and we have a paid for Jeep. I believe I'm going to try the "pay off smallest debt owed" as quick as possible while paying minimums on the other and then move on to the next one. Never had a credit card in my life lol
but what about retirement or other investment funds? 401k, IRA etc?
at the ratest he market is going now that's a much better use of your $$ than paying down a 1.9% loan.

Also - at least move a chunk of that 20k in your checking into a savings account so you can get interest on the $$. It won't be much annually but its better than nothing (what you're getting now)

SO Much Good info here, & I ride the middle of the fence. One reason I can't make a choice on the vote. I will add one thing. You Do need to keep some credit, as in Credit cards, & loans.
For some reason Nobody ever explained to me, when I bought my new truck, the Dealership "Claimed" I didn't have enough Credit. I Think they were just trying for a higher rate, even though I ended up with a low rate. I have a High credit score, & a Low mortgage. Before buying the Truck, everything else was paid off. I do carry 4 credit cards, but if I use one, I always pay it off before the interest begins. I use a Lowe's card for the 5% off, & a bank card for gas & sometimes groceries. I get rewards on any card I use, & I Never Pay to have a card. It just feel crazy for Bankers to Want you to be In-Debt, to give you More Debt!

Being debt free is more than maximizing returns along the way. Being debt free represents freedom and safety. I'm in the camp of first maximizing your 401k because those contributions reduce your taxable income and create future income. Then throw the extra money at principal each month.
At 27, you are on track to owe only a mortgage at 30 and then nothing at 35...

If you are good at excel, enter all of your data into a spreadsheet and calculate multiple options to see which way works out the best for your scenario. With the limited debts and savings options, the spreadsheet should be pretty easy to create.

My wife and I both have a 401k and our employers match what goes into them. We do not have an investment account. I do have sources of cash income. I've always been into buying and flipping vehicles, auto detailing side work, landscaping etc but that's all cash and goes in the safe.

IMO people get all hung up on "debt free" and paying off mortgages etc.
I'd be perfectly happy to have debt at 3% for 40 years if I can take that same money and invest it at 7% for the same time. That's 40 years of making 4% interest for FREE.

You just have to look out for cash flow - don't want to be at a point where so much $$ it tied up that when you need it in emergency or big life changes, you can't get it or have to assume a whopping loss/debt to get it.

This is exactly right. People get too hung up on the Dave Ramsay zero debt bs. That approach is ( for the most part) meant for people that are or were unable to control spending and you don't sound like that person. At 1.9% interest your car loan is virtually the rate of inflation, you would be silly to try and pay it down early. It sounds like you also already have a healthy savings account too. Start putting the extra money towards real estate or if you aren't comfortable with that go talk with a financial advisor. Anyways, my point is the wealthy get wealthier using leverage daily, people are too afraid of debt when it isn't misused.

Time Value of Money. Read up on it. You can always earn more money, you can't get the time back. Forget about being debt free right now. Invest heavily, keep some set aside for emergencies. Your interest rates on your loans are so low that you can earn more interest on investing. Also, if you have the cash flow look for something that you can invest in that will pay for itself over time or even pay you back (rental property, a business, etc). Make sure you are setting aside enough for retirement. Look at the 401k and IRA maximums and strive to pay those things up as much as possible. You'll be glad you did later.

I started off trying to pay things down and quickly wised up. Do set up automatic payments for the things you are investing and saving in. That way discipline is not in the mix as an "X factor". Read a few books: "The Automatic Millionaire", "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", "The Richest Man in Babylon" are on my recommended list.

Dave Ramsey gets mentioned all the time. He's good and his methods are sound. But he is really for people that have no monetary discipline or knowledge whatsoever. Once you get your spending under control I question what he does because it is soooooooo conservative that I do not believe it will get anyone ahead much.

Also, write a budget, then track your spending and figure out where all your money goes. Typically younger folks (myself included) spend far too much on eating out. Enjoy yourself but do it in moderation. Every dollar spent is a dollar you don't have later.

With regard to cars new is rarely better unless the depreciation on what you are buying is less than normal. Usually vehicles that are one or two years old will have substantially lower purchase prices so even if the rate is not rock-bottom on a loan your total cash outlay is lower and they are generally reliable enough nowadays to far outlast the loan. I bought my Nissan brand new in 2001 and later vowed to never buy another fresh off the lot.

In all this do not forget to save money for things in the mid-term future. Lots of people have some emergency cash and retirement savings. But what about things in the middle? What if you don't want to work until 67 or whenever the heck the government allows you to draw social security and your IRA/401k savings? I like what I do but working full time for another 30 years is not really what I would like to do. If I want to retire in my late 50s then I need non-retirement investments to carry me through those years. I started working on that a few years back.

We have a new kid working for us, started this summer fresh out of school. Between myself and my boss we are trying to teach him all about time value of money and how to make smart investments to beat the system. He's 23, he has his whole life ahead of him. He has a decent job starting out and was going to start ramming money into his student loans. I showed him with some fairly easy TMV calculations that paying his student loans off early was going to cost him over a third of a million dollars in his retirement years, all while ham-stringing his finances for the next five years he was planning to pay his loans off. We worked on him for about two weeks and blew his mind. He gets it now (I think) and is starting to draw up how he wants to run his finances.

Either way, good luck and don't stress too much about it. Read, learn, ask. Lots of people are willing to give advice; just do your own research to make sure you can determine what is good and what is bad advice for your situation.

Somebody mentioned earlier...you definitely need a revolving source of credit. Get a cash or points back credit card and use it to pay all your bills and regular monthly expenses that you were going to spend money on anyway, at least you'll get something back for spending your money and it looks good on you. Just pay it off every month.

I swore I'd never have one and have never NEEDED one, but I'm glad I have it now. It was also nice to not have any foreign transaction fees when I was in Okinawa last month.

Maybe I missed it...but everyone is telling you what they'd do (always easier handling other people's money...haha), and not really answered your question. It's all been great advice, so I have to ask...what exactly is it that has you hell bent on either paying off all debt early (and with rates like yours, it's basically free money), or putting it in a low yield savings account??? Any particular reason you hate money...kidding...but seriously.

Maybe I missed it...but everyone is telling you what they'd do (always easier handling other people's money...haha), and not really answered your question. It's all been great advice, so I have to ask...what exactly is it that has you hell bent on either paying off all debt early (and with rates like yours, it's basically free money), or putting it in a low yield savings account??? Any particular reason you hate money...kidding...but seriously.

Honestly, I hate owing anyone anything. I've paid cash for every vehicle I've ever owned up until my recent daily driver purchase. I didn't exactly have $120k cash laying around to pay for my house in full or I would have :p

Back