Wrangler camber issues

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
A friend of mine is having issues with his wrangler. I will do my best to describe the problem.
Late 80's early 90's Wrangler
SOA with stock springs and a full length BDS 1 1/2 add eaf
Dana 30 axle
trailmaster shocks
DD, no off roading
AMC 360
35 BFG AT's
No winch but gonna add one soon

Issue is camber. He has had it lined up and it's still like it was. On flat pavement you can see the tops of the tires are leaned in. Berings are good.
Alignment guy told him a lot of them are like that from the factory. Ball Joints are new.
ANy help or good places to take it to would be helpful. ANyone else had these issues??
Thanks

how much camber does it have? is it out of specs?

there are adjustment shims that go between spindle and knuckle (non-unit bearing) and adjustable ball joints.

bent housing?

No, I don't think so, but sure seems like it, but both sides look the same. Both tires are tilted in at the top. Not as bad a s VW bug, but like that.

Chip,
Sounds like he needs to shim the front end doiwn so that the pinion angle is lower, the castor is set at approx 6*, and that should get the amber in the right range. Sounds like the front end is shimmed incorrectly. That is the only way to adjust the camber on a solid front axle Jeep.

Andy

I second bent axle. Could be bent on the long side after the pumpkin, but that is the only way you are going to affect camber on a solid axle rig. We had a toyota front axle that was bent long side, camber problem was the same on each side.

You can spin a 30 around if it is mounted to tires on the shop floor without affecting a camber change. The shimming of the axle should not matter.

I had a 91 XJ that I got for free from a guy who wrecked it in the front. It had thinner axle tubes than normal. I knew this because the passenger side one piece axle (eliminate vacuum stuff) seal fit like loosely inside the tube. When I went to replace the ball joints the bend was very visible looking down the inside of the tube. The hit in the front wasn't that bad judging from the body damage.

grapehead said:
how much camber does it have? is it out of specs?

there are adjustment shims that go between spindle and knuckle (non-unit bearing) and adjustable ball joints.

Do you know part numbers and sources for these?
Thanks

Back