Wrangler TJ contol arm lengths?

Chris06TJ

Can anyone share with me the length they used (center-center) on thier adjustable lower control arms (front and rear) on a 4" Lift Jeep Wrangler TJ. Also, I have seen some fixed length contol arms advertised for use with a 4" lift if anyone has used them do you know what length they were. Thanks

Last edited:
Google is your friend.

awww.jeepforum.com_forum_attachments_f9_280096d1316357547_control_arm_length_chart_calength.jpg

Google can be a confusing friend. some people say shorten the rear lengthen the front others say make them all the same. I am looking for who can say this is what i had to do... or this setup worked for me... or in my kit they were all...but thanks i havent seen this chart

When I had a RE 3.5 on my TJ seems like I had the lowers about 5/8"-3/4" longer than stock, which jives with the chart.
Use the chart as a guide but fine tune the lowers to get the wheels centered back in the wheel well, in the stock location. Use the front UCA's to get the caster set correctly once the LCA's are fixed and use the rear UCA's to get the pinion angle set correctly once the LCA's are fixed.

When I had a RE 3.5 on my TJ seems like I had the lowers about 5/8"-3/4" longer than stock, which jives with the chart.
Use the chart as a guide but fine tune the lowers to get the wheels centered back in the wheel well, in the stock location. Use the front UCA's to get the caster set correctly once the LCA's are fixed and use the rear UCA's to get the pinion angle set correctly once the LCA's are fixed.

Yep
The most important thing is to learn why they need to be the length they need to be. That chart is a good way to get started but thats it. Do a little reading on caster angles and alignment in general. IMO the worst thing you can do is go on a board like Jeepforum or the like and read all the crap guys who really know nothing preach.

Like Foreman said, set the length of the lowers where you like how the wheel is centered in the fenderwells. Take into account the steering from lock to lock to make sure the tires dont rub on the quarter panels or bumpers. Get the lowers set how you like the tire placement then measure from front to rear axle on both sides to make sure they are parallel with each other. Then diagonally from front to rear axle. This measurement may differ some from side to side depending on how well the trac bars are matched to the ammount of lift. There isn't a whole lot you can do to fix it unless you have adj. trac bars.
Do yourself a favor and buy one of these
angle finder.jpghttp://www.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html

Now that you have those 2 measurements right you're readyt to adj. the uppers to set caster on the front wheels. Clean the top of the upper ball joint so the angle finder will sit nice and flat on it. adjust the upper arms in or out to get the angle finder to read 5, 6, or even 7 deg. positive castor meaning the upper BJ joint sits to the rear of the lower BJ or the axle is tilted back. Caster angle is what makes the jeep track straight down the road and brings the steering wheel back to center as you complete a turn. The wider the wheel and the less backspacing the better it is to have more caster to counteract the leverage they put on the steering. "Scrub radius" is a good term to Google that will help explain why the taller wider tires/wheels put more leverage on steering components.

In the rear the uppers will determine pinion angle. If you DO NOT have a SYE and no CV rear shaft installed in the transfercase hopefully you have t-case drop brackets. Take the angle finder and figure out what angle the output shaft points down at. Once you have that put the angle finder on the pinion yoke and adjust the uppers in or out until the pinion points up at the same angle the output points down. If the case is down 5* then the pinion should be up 5* This is usually hard to make work on a TJ due to the short rear d-shaft and the steep angle it sits at with a 4" lift. If set up correctly the shaft will pretty much bind with any ammount of rear droop.

If you have a SYE with a CV rear shaft (which I strongly recommend) adjust the uppers to get the rear pinion to point directly inline with the driveshaft.

After you've done all of this you need to go back and take the two initial measurements again to be sure that both axles are still square under the jeep. If not adjust accordingly. It may take a few tries to get it all right. It's best to have a buddy who can help with the tape measurement. Oh and most importantly do this all on flat ground with the jeep sitting level front to back and left to right or you'll get false measurements with the angle finder.

bought me an angle finder going to look at pinion angles this evening, thanks for advice will let you know how it turns out

HELP!!! I purchased an angle finder as suggested. I removed the drivshaft checked the angle directly off the splined shaft coming from the transfer case, i also checked the angle with guage mounted to the end of the pinion shaft. I adjusted the lower contol arms so that the pinion matched the same angle as the transfer case. I even replaced both U-joints while i had the drive shaft removed. Jeep was on the ground and i had it parked on the levelest spot i have in the driveway. Reinstalled everything and went for a test drive drove around for about 20 minutes, the Jeep never offered to vibrate even once. Went to work the next morning and the vibration reappeared!!! Any suggestions? On a side note, with 3" of lift how much drop should i have on the transfercase. I have 1-1/4 of drop now, is this too much or not enough.

The amount of transfer case drop needed is really Jeep specific. I've seen people use everything from a half inch to over 1.5" like I did. I was able to drop mine to about a half inch when I got a motor Mount lift but I had vibrations with all combinations until I got a cv driveshaft. What was the angle when you measured?

Transfer case was at ~8* i adjusted the pinion to match, since i wasnt exactly on level ground i was thinking that as long as i got the 2 to match it would be ok

I adjusted the lower contol arms so that the pinion matched the same angle as the transfer case. On a side note, with 3" of lift how much drop should i have on the transfercase. I have 1-1/4 of drop now, is this too much or not enough.
Should adjust the rear Uppers to change the pinion angle. 1-1/4 drop should be enough , might want to add a motor mount lift or seriously consider a SYE and CV shaft.

Yes 1.25 should be plenty and yes you should definitely plan an sye. It sounds to me like you fixed the vibes with new u joints and after a short drive may have loosened it up again. But first I have to ask... Did you also install new tires and or wheels with this lift? Are the vibes at a certain speed or under acceleration/deceleration? Typically driveshaft vibes are at higher speeds. Tire balance vibes can be at more specific speeds

Im still running my stock wheels and tires. Drivability was ok until i installed the lift. Tires are Michellin LTX with good thread, was going to go with some 31's or 32's with a 15x8 once i got some more wear out of the tires. The vibration begins at around 45-50mph accel or decel doesnt seem to make a difference. Now if i am trying to go from 0-70 like going on the interstate i can eliminate the vibration but at 70mph im a nervous wreck because it still isnt quite smooth. I dont have adjustable upper control arms. I guess i may fork over some more $$$.

You don't need adj uppers. Don't spend the money. Order an SYE and go to the junk yard and get a Cherokee front shaft.

Sent from the MarsFab Off Road mobile response unit.

As far as I know any Cherokee with a cv front shaft will work. You will need to have the shaft shortened to fit. I have a shop local to me that can do it for less than a hundred dollars. Your other option would be to order a sye from someone like advance adapters. You'd be looking at roughly 500 for the kit and rear shaft minus installation.

We have the SYE in stock if you need one. You may need adjustable rear upper control arms to dial in the pinion angle. Any front XJ shaft will work, like Chris said, it just needs to have the length adjusted to fit. Universal Service is the local shop that does ours.

If I can help let me know.

Back