XJ 6 spd swap

GotWood

Sayer of Fact
I think I think I want to do this. Anyone have any experience?

I have heard bits and pieces that the location of the crank sensor is different than on the earlier 4.0. @Blaze may be able to confirm this. I think that is an 05-06 thing but I could be wrong. You may be able to still get everything to work if you use the correct flywheel. Crank sensor will have to be wired to your original pigtail.

It will physically bolt in. Trans mount will probably have to be fabbed. I’d throw an ax15 or nv3550 in there before the 6 speed. They are better transmissions. The 6 speed nsg370 has a few common problems with synchros and popping out of gear. The short first gear is nice though.

The NVG360 has the crank sensor in a different location than the AX series did. I venture to say you will need the matching flywheel ASSuming the balance is the same (cannot see for the life of me why it would be different)

Pretty sure they have differences in the years. 91-92 are different than 93-95 and then 96+ I think. Might be a little difference i 00+ too but can't remember. But yes, Jody is right on the crank sensor being different in the NVG360.

A buddy of mine did an NSG370 swap in an 04 TJ...not sure if any of that info would help with swapping it in an XJ though.

Would the Hesco crank kit make it any easier? Also isn't the wrangler transfer case clocked differently than an xj?

The hesco crank kit has issues with losing signal at higher rpm and causes a misfire and check engine light. It’s not the best solution.

The clocking can be fixed, you can redrill the pattern with a jig you can buy from a few companies. Next Venture Motorsports is one of them.

Back