XJ back half into a camping trailer

Metal Man

Has anyone here turned the back half of an XJ into a trailer? If so is there a build thread or some pix? Something I'm looking into cuz a friend just totaled his XJ and I think it would be cool to have a matching trailer.

I've built a couple truck bed trailers (still have one) where I just notched the frame, heated it and bent it in. Takes for some careful measurements and thinking about descent turning radius, tongue weight and such. It was like 1.5' forward from the bed where I notched and bent in like 30-35 degrees for plenty of turning radius. Then used a section of the old frame I cut off to cap it off in front. Then had to use like 4" of spacer to weld on the tongue (Standard 2" from Northern Tool). Pretty simple really. And efficient. Think that's probably what most people do???
I know mine's a cool trailer designated just to haul off trash. I put a camper top on it and I just sling my cans in and go without worrying about it blowing out. And then use it to store the trash as I go so no critters can get to it.

11174471_659628854170870_8141680471382300176_o.jpg

Too bad they fell off the map on that one Ghost, I would have liked to see how it turned out. I found one using from the back of the front door back but I kinda like the Idea of using from the fire wall back, thanks for the link.

That is the one I was talking about. Did you find his build thread? He is from the Midwest IIRC and on NAXJA.

Yea, I found the thread...finally LOL. I may do the end cap differently but I'll tie the hitch in the same. Now, who knows of an XJ that's about to get junked? LOL

Yea, I found the thread...finally LOL. I may do the end cap differently but I'll tie the hitch in the same. Now, who knows of an XJ that's about to get junked? LOL

You should post it up to add to this thread. Plus my lazy ass wants to see it. :)

O I will do a build thread on it when it comes time, first I have to get some things done on the XJ that will be towing it. When you get a 99 2 door with 141K on it for $1000, bet you have some things to sort out LOL. I will be starting a build thread on the Jeep soon as well, going expedition style now that I have 3 kids. Far cry from the old YJ with me, the wife, a fifth of Captin and a $20 tent LOL.

O I will do a build thread on it when it comes time, first I have to get some things done on the XJ that will be towing it. When you get a 99 2 door with 141K on it for $1000, bet you have some things to sort out LOL. I will be starting a build thread on the Jeep soon as well, going expedition style now that I have 3 kids. Far cry from the old YJ with me, the wife, a fifth of Captin and a $20 tent LOL.

And that is one of the reasons I love XJ's.... family capable.

Yea, when the wife got prego with kid number 3 the JY had to go. My first Jeep was an XJ...by the way don't drink and drive...but the YJ was a locked up crawler with 4.56s that could only do about 60 on the street LOL. This XJ is not going to be as extreme, on 31x10.50s now but I may go 33s later. It will end up with lockers either way and if I can find a deal some TJ Rubi 44s. First I have to sort out the common XJ things and I want to find the TJ Rubi 6 speed and T-case. They are the key to getting this thing to be good on the street and have the gearing for the rocks, and well...any reason to dump the auto trans is a good one to me LOL.

Back