XS Power batteries

Hokie_YJ

Anybody using and having good luck with XS Power batteries? My buggy has dual Odyssey PC925s. It has sat a few years without being used. I’m an idiot and didn’t keep a tender on it. The batteries were deeply discharged, down to 5-6V. I’m trying all the tricks to bring them back but I’m not having any luck yet.

I know it’s not the battery’s fault. I’m not looking to get away from Odyssey. I just found the same battery from XS power with a little better specs on CCA and reserve time and they’re a little bit cheaper than Odyssey. Just looking for some real world experience with them.

IMG_0277.png

IMG_0276.png

Oddly enough, I've been looking to replace the cheap, Walmart lead acid battery that somebody stuck in my RZR years ago before I got it. The one that fits is an Odyssey OD-AGM42A (PC1200L in the old part numbers). One step up from the PC925.

I've seen the XS batteries and read a lot about them, but haven't decided what I'm going to do. I read some stuff on RZR forum and one guy make a very detailed and in-depth post. What I gathered was...much like muscle cars in the 70s, Odyssey tends to under rate their batteries. Not saying the XS Power ones don't actually have better specs though.

Odyssey says made in US.
XS says US and Japan.

I don't see how you could go wrong either way. I may wind up going with an XS myself.

As far as bringing the current batteries back, I've got an Optima AGM charger. It's probably the best thing made with their name on it in the past 6 to 8 years. I've brought several AGMs back with it and it has a maintainer setting and even comes with a wiring setup you can leave on the batteries and just plug in to the charger. A tender/maintainer is key to an AGM battery surviving if it sits for a while!

Oddly enough, I've been looking to replace the cheap, Walmart lead acid battery that somebody stuck in my RZR years ago before I got it. The one that fits is an Odyssey OD-AGM42A (PC1200L in the old part numbers). One step up from the PC925.

I've seen the XS batteries and read a lot about them, but haven't decided what I'm going to do. I read some stuff on RZR forum and one guy make a very detailed and in-depth post. What I gathered was...much like muscle cars in the 70s, Odyssey tends to under rate their batteries. Not saying the XS Power ones don't actually have better specs though.

Odyssey says made in US.
XS says US and Japan.

I don't see how you could go wrong either way. I may wind up going with an XS myself.

As far as bringing the current batteries back, I've got an Optima AGM charger. It's probably the best thing made with their name on it in the past 6 to 8 years. I've brought several AGMs back with it and it has a maintainer setting and even comes with a wiring setup you can leave on the batteries and just plug in to the charger. A tender/maintainer is key to an AGM battery surviving if it sits for a while!

Not keeping a tender on them definitely goes on my long list of stupid things I’ve done. :shaking: I ruined $500 worth if batteries by not doing it.

My buddy has an Optima charger, but another friend is using it right now. I’m going to try it as a last ditch effort. I might just buy one myself. I gave a Schumacher that has a AGM setting, and a Ctek that was recommended in some AGM restoration videos on YouTube. What model charger do you have?

It's the Optima Digital 1200. I picked it up at Advance Auto for 200 bucks. They're like 250 in the stores now, but still 200 on Amazon. It doesn't have the fast charge or jump start features, but it'll vary voltage and amperage by itself and then go in to top off/maintain mode if you let it do its thing overnight or something.

They're 200 right from Optima also!

It has a setting for Optima Red/Blue "starting", Blue/Yellow "deep cycle", then small batteries, and auto/marine. Plus the battery pre-charge status, maintainer with the clamps, and the auxiliary maintainer with the included wiring. Hell, it even has temperature compensation.

Last edited:
It's the Optima Digital 1200. I picked it up at Advance Auto for 200 bucks. They're like 250 in the stores now, but still 200 on Amazon. It doesn't have the fast charge or jump start features, but it'll vary voltage and amperage by itself and then go in to top off/maintain mode if you let it do its thing overnight or something.

They're 200 right from Optima also!

It has a setting for Optima Red/Blue "starting", Blue/Yellow "deep cycle", then small batteries, and auto/marine. Plus the battery pre-charge status, maintainer with the clamps, and the auxiliary maintainer with the included wiring. Hell, it even has temperature compensation.
Thanks!

XS are good stuff.
I am just a believer in optimas.
I’ve had a few Optimas over the years. Never had a problem with any of them. I just went with dual Odyssey 925s mainly for the size.

I’m going to break down and order this Optima charger right now and give it a try. If it doesn’t work I’ll order the XS batteries. Several people in the Rock Buggies group on FB speak highly of them.

XS are good stuff.
I am just a believer in optimas.

I was until they started making them in Mexico. The first pair of 34/78 Red Tops I had were...umm..."military surplus" :D I think they were 11 years old when they finally gave up.

The replacement pair didn't last two years. I was sorely disappointed in that.

That last pair of batteries was the reason I bought the Optima charger and their own charger wouldn't even keep them going. I may have gotten a bad pair, but decided to cut my losses and not mess with them anymore.

Johnson Controls batteries (Optima) got bought/absorbed in to Clarios recently, as best I can tell. I'm not sure if that makes things better, worse, or changes nothing.

@Hokie_YJ I may wind up getting an XS 1200. I just need to see if I can get my cables to the opposite sides or just turn the battery around. It's tight under the seat of my RZR. On paper, they're damn impressive! I wouldn't be mad about saving 70 bucks either vs the Odyssey.

I saw they make 34/78s too, but damn, they're pricey once they get to that size! Very impressive specs on them though.

Last edited:
I was until they started making them in Mexico. The first pair of 34/78 Red Tops I had were...umm..."military surplus" :D I think they were 11 years old when they finally gave up.

The replacement pair didn't last two years. I was sorely disappointed in that.

That last pair of batteries was the reason I bought the Optima charger and their own charger wouldn't even keep them going. I may have gotten a bad pair, but decided to cut my losses and not mess with them anymore.

Johnson Controls batteries (Optima) got bought/absorbed in to Clarios recently, as best I can tell. I'm not sure if that makes things better, worse, or changes nothing.

@Hokie_YJ I may wind up getting an XS 1200. I just need to see if I can get my cables to the opposite sides or just turn the battery around. It's tight under the seat of my RZR. On paper, they're damn impressive! I wouldn't be mad about saving 70 bucks either vs the Odyssey.

I saw they make 34/78s too, but damn, they're pricey once they get to that size! Very impressive specs on them though.
I just took my yellow top out at good evening ranch because I assumed it was finally done. Then realized it was the new alternator. It’s 13 years old and currently using it for the winch on the trailer. But my red top that’s 1 year old in my turbo car is dead. Gonna swap it for a yellow anyways. I have them in almost everything. Because of “surplus” things too lol 😂

I just took my yellow top out at good evening ranch because I assumed it was finally done. Then realized it was the new alternator. It’s 13 years old and currently using it for the winch on the trailer. But my red top that’s 1 year old in my turbo car is dead. Gonna swap it for a yellow anyways. I have them in almost everything. Because of “surplus” things too lol 😂

I couldn't pass up 40 bucks for a pair of them!

I have heard of several people having problems with reds and going to yellows. I wouldn't think there'd be that much difference, but apparently there is.

My 2001 Optima Redtop lasted for almost 20 years. Every one I’ve owned since 2010 hasn’t made it past 2 years, and that’s about a half a dozen of them.

My 2001 Optima Redtop lasted for almost 20 years. Every one I’ve owned since 2010 hasn’t made it past 2 years, and that’s about a half a dozen of them.
For what it’s worth no battery does anymore. And all the parts store batteries are the same. The economy, premium labels are just a name. Same battery different warranty. Paying for the second battery upfront.

That's why I've been rocking Walmart batteries in a lot of stuff for a few years. 120 bucks and a 3 year warranty? Yeah, I can roll with that.

I've gotten better about charging/topping batteries off from time to time too. If I'm messing with something and I'll be there a couple of hours, I'll put the charger on the battery of whatever vehicle I'm driving at the time. I've been getting 6 to 7 years out of lawnmower batteries, so it definitely helps.

FWIW, I did just order an Odyssey AGM42A for my RZR. I went with the Odyssey because they offered a left side positive terminal and I didn't want to have to mess with any of the wiring. I found them for 290 vs 267 for the XS, so I don't feel too bad about it.

They moved to Mexico in 07
They might have had some growing pains but they are more than vetted right now.

The last pair I got were in September of 2018.

Same on Walmart, except for the stuff that gets an Odyssey.

Fancy battery charger goes a long way, too.

i figure this thread is as good a place as any to ask. After adding the coilovers in my XJ, the stock battery is just BARELY too big to fit back in a stock-ish location. one of these small AGM batteries could definitely work. Would they be OK/ appropriate for starting the 4.0 and occasional winch duty? Any recommendations in sizing? looks like the factory lead acid battery is around 10x7x7ish

i figure this thread is as good a place as any to ask. After adding the coilovers in my XJ, the stock battery is just BARELY too big to fit back in a stock-ish location. one of these small AGM batteries could definitely work. Would they be OK/ appropriate for starting the 4.0 and occasional winch duty? Any recommendations in sizing? looks like the factory lead acid battery is around 10x7x7ish
I run the 925s in a dual setup with a selector switch to select single batteries, or both. I’ve started the 6.0 in the buggy several times on just one. Not sure I’d want to run just one in a rig though.

I had a large UTV battery in my stroker TJ and it started it just fine. Even after sitting for months. I don't remember the exact size and think it went back in the RZR when I sold it, but it was about 20% smaller than a typical group 34/78.

I've had a Duracell(Deka) AGM in my jeep for 6 years. It is still good, but I can tell it's slowing down. I'm going to swap it to the new wrangler and buy a new one for my jeep. Not sure what I'll end up with.

@Spence
You can always look through at the specs and compare sizes vs electrical performance to see what would work best for you.

Probably? I don't think anyone could go wrong with either one though.

Well I hooked the Optima charger up to one of them this morning and it immediately went in to re-conditioning mode. I was just getting off work so I went to bed and let it charge. I checked it about 4:30 this evening and it was showing full charge and had switched into maintain mode. I hooked my battery tester up to it and it may have taken a charge, but I think it’s toast. I guess I can’t expect too much from a 8+ year old battery that has sat without a charger for 6 years. Being stupid tends to get expensive. :laughing:

IMG_0300.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg

I hooked the charger back up and left for work. I’ll check it again in the morning, but I don’t have much hope for it.

Well I hooked the Optima charger up to one of them this morning and it immediately went in to re-conditioning mode. I was just getting off work so I went to bed and let it charge. I checked it about 4:30 this evening and it was showing full charge and had switched into maintain mode. I hooked my battery tester up to it and it may have taken a charge, but I think it’s toast. I guess I can’t expect too much from a 8+ year old battery that has sat without a charger for 6 years. Being stupid tends to get expensive. :laughing:

View attachment 426793
View attachment 426794

I hooked the charger back up and left for work. I’ll check it again in the morning, but I don’t have much hope for it.
I got a bunch here to try lol imma be stupid too

Back