SDIVER2006

44C82B9E-F27C-4C03-96BC-6AE662D3B3F8.png
Is this the correct setup?
It’s a summit cart
Tell me if this is the right set up
87 yj

Last edited:
2hats your budget and what's your intended use

Been around 2 FiTech systems with @Noel and they’re awesome! Stupid easy to install, self learning and reliable.

You change a cam or something later, just let it relearn, you build a stroker later, just let it relearn. For a little bit more you can upgrade to the one with an electronic distributor and get even more advanced.

Of course this is a YJ so not your intended use. But if your Jeep was totaled or a rust bucket one day you can take the FiTech system off and put it in something else. It’s not vehicle specific.

What everyone else said. Spend the extra dollars get self learning efi. It's getting harder to keep carburetors running right with the crappy stuff they pass off as gasoline these days.

I'll buck the trend....not knowing how you intend to use your vehicle efi adds complexity with minimal return for a street cruiser.

My experience with FiTeh was vastly different than what you are hearing in this thread. Now I was trying to use it in a higher flow application than an I6...they may work fine for that. Their tech support was less than useless. It was a bad experience. In the end I gave the (2nd) unit they sent me for replacement to a friend for free. I couldnt take money from anyone for the junk I was giving.

If I just wanted a stockish YJ running, Id be spending sub $300 on Rockauto for
Carb (MC2100) C877 - More Information for AUTOLINE C877
Distributor DST4691- More Information for WORLD POWER SYSTEMS DST4691

Can get it under $200 if you have a core for the carb...

I'll buck the trend....not knowing how you intend to use your vehicle efi adds complexity with minimal return for a street cruiser.

My experience with FiTeh was vastly different than what you are hearing in this thread. Now I was trying to use it in a higher flow application than an I6...they may work fine for that.

Self learning efi systems work less effectively the less vacuum for engine produces. May have been your issue, maybe not but its worth mentioning for information. Starting withno issues in the cold automatic adjustment for elevation changes and better on extreme angles all would be worth the minimally higher expense.

My experience with FiTeh was vastly different than what you are hearing in this thread. Now I was trying to use it in a higher flow application than an I6...they may work fine for that. Their tech support was less than useless. It was a bad experience. In the end I gave the (2nd) unit they sent me for replacement to a friend for free. I couldnt take money from anyone for the junk I was giving.

Hate you had that experience!

It’s a whole lot easier swap if the vehicle is already running great and timing is on point right from the start. Not sure why or what went wrong with yours but I hate to hear it. When my buddy put it on his YJ with a Chevy 350, I was amazed at how it needed only a few wires and minimal adjustments and he was good to go.

The 2 largest enemies of microprocessors and printed circuit boards are Heat and Vibration.
I hate the design. There is a reason OEMS dont put the "brains" on top of the engine.....

I'll hush after this because I dont want to totally derail his thread.

Id either go cheap and OEM style replacement or Id go full out and true tuneable efi.
A properly set up carb starts as easy as EFI and the elevation concern is pretty overstated.

Id go full on Holley Terminator Stealth or stay carb. The Holley Sniper is no better than FiTech in my opinion.

I didn't want to be the guy...but that's been my experience with FiTech as well. We sell about 2 dozen efi kits/month. FiTech is by far cheaper, but there's usually a reason for that. Install is easy, but tuning/self-learning has been shit. Majority of our customers have either gone back carb or Holley Sniper like we recommend in the first place. In my groups, I'd say there's only about a 50% satisfaction rate with FiTech as well. And I'll echo the useless tech support from FiTech too.

@SDIVER2006 as to your shopping cart that is what I ran on my ‘85 CJ-7. Took a bit to get it right but once it was tuned it it was smooth easy to start no issues. I did spend the money and had an electric choke though. Only thing was I had to change the advance springs in the dizzy to get the advance right but DUI was easy to work with and they helped out really well.

View attachment 296725 Is this the correct setup?
It’s a summit cart
Tell me if this is the right set up
87 yj
1) To answer your original question, I ran that same set up on my 89 YJ and it worked great. I did the nutter bypass on the wiring, set of headers and with the carb set up the jeep ran better than ever.
2) If this is just a weekend driver, I would do what @Ron suggest and go with the Rock Auto parts and enjoy good results.
3) You are getting close to the FI range in cost with you parts. I have had great success with the Howell TBI set ups and would be hard to go back to a carb on anything. if this is a daily driver, I would save up some mo money and go fuel injection knowing what I know now.

Thanks for info guys
I placed the order from JEGS
should be here Friday..

This weekend I’ll finish dash to tail light gettin stuff secured..

It’s been a fun learning experience that’s fo sho!...

What I have learned is it’s a lot like guns and beer lots of different opinions..lol

I would go .40 on the gap with the new DUI.

Back