YJ 4.0 swap, little help

marty79

I cannot figure out why I have no power to the starter wire...the signal wire that is.
Everything else got working, jeep runs great using a starter button but feel like there's something (probably simple) that I'm overlooking.
I've done so much wiring for this whole job that I'm tapped out and at wits end lol. Any help would be great.
Old: 87 YJ 4.2 5spd
New: 95 YJ 4.0, 95 YJ 4.0 engine harness, dash harness, AX15 from 95
Everything works as it should mechanically speaking but not getting signal to starter wire (having to use button) thank you very much

Why not just run a wire from the ignition switch output terminal to the solenoid like the factory did?
Would be simple and clean.

Why not just run a wire from the ignition switch output terminal to the solenoid like the factory did?
Would be simple and clean.
would I run it straight to solenoid or run it to the relay so the relay gets energized and sends the signal itself? or am I again overthinking it. thank you

would I run it straight to solenoid or run it to the relay so the relay gets energized and sends the signal itself? or am I again overthinking it. thank you

Since it's an engine and harness swap, I'd wire in a dedicated starter relay.
Switch to relay to solenoid

Since it's an engine and harness swap, I'd wire in a dedicated starter relay.
Switch to relay to solenoid
dang it, should've thought about this yesterday, thanks for the idea, sounds simple enough.

You can use the starter wire that goes to the relay in the harness..

terminal g5 on the 95 bulkhead, yellow wire. You can ohm it/continuity test to either 85/86 on the starter relay. If the donor harness was manual, the other terminal is grounded.

Green-tan wire originally ran to the solenoid (on firewall). Was also terminal g5 at bulkhead. You could also connect at the green wire at the ignition switch. (My preferred connection would be at the bulkhead)

terminal g5 on the 95 bulkhead, yellow wire. You can ohm it/continuity test to either 85/86 on the starter relay. If the donor harness was manual, the other terminal is grounded.
This is what I was trying to do but I think I'm overwhelmed lol from all other wiring.
Since both harness are from same Jeep all should be good but it's not.
on engine side bulkheak there is no yellow. All my diagram shows it but I don't have it. I know it's just one wire that I'm needing to find...

Terminal g5 on the bulk head. I can pull the diagram tomorrow. Did you swap the interior harness also?
yeah engine harness is 95 YJ manual trans, dash harness is 95 YJ manual trans

I got it bro, I just ran new wires all good now. Onto finishing it. Thanks for help

Back