YJ REAR LEAF SPRINGS

WhiteYj

Ok i got in a wreck about a yr ago and busted one of my leaf springs and i am just now getting around to replaceing it. Well i got the back shackle bolt out and undid all the u bolts, well the nut on the front frame mount came off but the bolt wont slide out of the brakcet any tips or suggestions?

It is a huge pita to get some of those bolts out, you can try heating with a torch or soaking some pb blaster on them. You must be the guy that i sold the springs to. I hope they work out for ya.

Lots of PB balster, then try an air chisel with a blunt end on it. The last resort before the torch wrench.

Steve

I had to cut the head off and pry the spring out on my yj

If you cut the head off, pry out the spring. you can take it to someone with a press and press it out.

Air chisel. With a "Punch" type bit in it.
Already been suggested, but I want to second it.

I have one ground down for exactly this job.

Put the nut back on a few threads to help keep the bit centred on the end of the bolt and to prevent peening the threads and/or restore the threads if it mushrooms the end of the bolt slightly.

The reason this works when the BFH doesn't -

The bolt is frozen in the steel sleeve inside the rubber bushing.
When you hit it with a hammer, the bushing absorbs the impact and you aren't getting any real force on it. The vibration of the air chisel pushes it out bit by bit, because it is hitting at so many blows per second, it moves the bolt faster than the bushing can rebound.

Make sense?

I have watched people beat the beejeezuz out of a spring bolt and get nowhere. Then come over with my air chisel and push it right out.

This info - 2¢

Getting the bolt out when the BFH won't - $39.95 (The price of a cheap AC)

The look on peoples faces when it comes right out after they have beat on it for 20 minutes ---- Priceless.

:D

I used a pickle fork I bought from autozone. $7

similar to this one...just wedge it under the bolt head...then beat on it with a BFH
awww.minimania.com_imagesbig_660490.jpg

Thnxs alot the air chiself worked thanks to a few friends i managed to find one. It came out after a few minutes of sitting there with it on it .Thnxs again

On mine i was able to get part of the rubber bushing out since it's in two pieces. Then i was able to wiggle the bolt out between the gas tank and the skid plate. You've probably got the bolt out by now but if not i hope it helps.

Back