Yota 3.4 stock fuel tank vs fuel cell debacle

frankenyoter

No Rain, No Rainbow
About to do some work to the truck and the stock fuel tank or a fuel cell will be fitted into a tube bed.

I had originally planned to simply rotate the fuel tank and build an enclosure around it, keep the filler neck etc. But a fuel cell would package better.

So many options online that it's overwhelming. Anyone have solid advice on the matter?

Last edited:
Mine has the stock tank turned sideways because I'm a cheap ass and it was easy. Gauge still works, all the wiring worked, just had to extend the fuel lines a little. I vote for the stock tank cause it's easy.

On another note, with the tank sideways, be sure you have more than a half tank when wheeling. I once ran out of gas with a half tank on a-piller at the shop. It's kinda embarrassing to have to winch your truck flat to get the motor started....

Post up a picno
Mine has the stock tank turned sideways because I'm a cheap ass and it was easy. Gauge still works, all the wiring worked, just had to extend the fuel lines a little. I vote for the stock tank cause it's easy.

On another note, with the tank sideways, be sure you have more than a half tank when wheeling. I once ran out of gas with a half tank on a-piller at the shop. It's kinda embarrassing to have to winch your truck flat to get the motor started....

Post up a pic or two. Short bed tank?

I'd run a Motobilt cell in the back, cut it out so you can run the stock sending unit and pump assembly then add walboro pickups for each end. It's been awhile since I was up to date on my Toyota stuff so this could not be possible.

You are the second person to suggest a motobilt tank . I like the dimensions of the 15 gal tank.

I don't mind running an external pump but I definitely want the stock sending unit so I can have an accurate fuel reading.

You are the second person to suggest a motobilt tank . I like the dimensions of the 15 gal tank.

I don't mind running an external pump but I definitely want the stock sending unit so I can have an accurate fuel reading.

I really like mine, I have the 15 gallon TJ one. Really wish I could've fit the 19 gallon one, never had fueling issues but never hurts to have more fuel.

@hurt4x4 is running a stock tank in the bed on his Taco, may have some other insight.

I have my factory tank relocated to the bed for now. I've been working on an aluminum cell with internal baffles that is going to reuse the factory sending unit and pump, but haven't got around to finishing it. I don't think it would be hard to modify an aftermarket tank to accept the factory stuff. I've got a lazer program of the flange pattern if you ever need it.

I mounted the RCI 19 gallon in the bed with Artec bracket system I haven't hooked the sending unit up yet, running an external pump. I haven't run it off road much so I don't know how well the pickup works off camber.
IMG_1802.jpg

I mounted the RCI 19 gallon in the bed with Artec bracket system I haven't hooked the sending unit up yet, running an external pump. I haven't run it off road much so I don't know how well the pickup works off camber. View attachment 290876

Very similar to how I ran the cell in my XCab when it had the stock carb and it idled on the waterfall at Mtn City. No issues. Same thing when I put a cell in the 4Runner with a 22RE. Both ran on just about any dumb angle my drive by braille skills got me into.

Back