Your less mechanically inclined random-internet-stranger needs input on buying a 94 Tacoma

loki_racer

Some of you already know, I'm not the most knowledgeable mechanic. I'm cool with it though because I have an army of NC4x4's that collectively know enough about mechanical stuff that we could probably put a man on the moon.

I'm back in the land of 'Merica and feel that my manhood is challenged because I don't have something with 4x4 written on the side.

I've found a 1994 Tacoma, 260,000 miles, 4wd, that looks like ISIS probably had it before the current owner. Seller wants $2500 (about $500 over KBB). It cranked fine, shifts fine, goes in and out of 4wd fine. It has a little shimmy (almost like the beginnings of death wobble) at around 45mph. The tires are really old and are a bit oversized. The owner says it needs a muffler to pass inspection and that's all. The frame and drivetrain look to be rust free.

So, my mechanically inclined brethren. Short of taking it to an inspection station and having them do an inspection, what type of things can I check to make sure this beater will beat away for me for the next couple years?

I don't plan on wheeling it or doing anything crazy. I just need something that can haul my mountain bikes to the trails and that my wife can drive to rescue me when my dual sport motorcycle gets stuck in a rut.

Last edited:
Is it a Tacoma or is it a Pickup? The Tacoma didn't come out until 95.5

Does it say "TOYOTA" on the side?

It looks like it's probably a Toyota.

It looks like it's probably a Toyota.
No nameplates, grill might be swapped in, could be a Nissan. Doesn't seem overpriced enough to be a Toyota.

vin

Just needs coilovers, bypasses, ls swap, beadlocks, cage, fuel system, and links and it will be perfect for what you described.

I wouldn't pay over kbb, maybe have someone check out the shimmy first too?

Just needs coilovers, bypasses, ls swap, beadlocks, cage, fuel system, and links and it will be perfect for what you described.

I wouldn't pay over kbb, maybe have someone check out the shimmy first too?
The spousal unit already said no truck mods until her Trailhawk gets a winch. I'll be lucky to get the truck and a working muffler.

I wouldn't pay $2500! 2k tops! You will have to put money for tires and a muffler. Otherwise that truck will last forever!

No nameplates, grill might be swapped in, could be a Nissan. Doesn't seem overpriced enough to be a Toyota.

I'm 90% sure it's a Toyota. Definitely not a Ford. But you might be on to something with the Nissan. Did they make an extended cab Mighty Max? If so, better make sure it's not a Mitsubishi.

So where do I look for blinker fluid?

The blinker fluid resevoir is behind the muffler bearing.

I might would get it at $2500. Do a compression test on it. If the frame looks good and it starts easily and runs thru all the gears smoothly, jump on it. The extra cabs with a 4cyl are not as common as the v6 extra cabs.

The blinker fluid resevoir is behind the muffler bearing.

I might would get it at $2500. Do a compression test on it. If the frame looks good and it starts easily and runs thru all the gears smoothly, jump on it. The extra cabs with a 4cyl are not as common as the v6 extra cabs.

I'm pretty sure the muffler bearings are shot. The muffler sounds really bad. I assume it's the bearings.

Seriously though, thanks for the input.

Make sure the glow plugs are OK.

He said those are good because the heat works fine.

Thanks everyone for the feed back. Unfortunately, I can't really get it to a shop to have them run any tests. It's a ways out in the country and I just don't have the time to run it to a shop. I guess I'll hope he's being truthful with me. He worked with my uncle for a couple years, so hopeful there's some sense of honor there. Guess I'll pick it up tonight. I'll be back on here tomorrow complaining about all broken stuff on it.

Back