Zero turn advice

snappy

YHDG's adopted son!!!
What does everyone have and what do I need to stay away from?
Have has giving the ok to get one so it just got serious on the shopping here!

I've had a 48in Lesco(Bobcat), 60in Lesco, Exmark and I loved all of them. They were commercial mowers though. Jumped on my neighbors cub cadet zero (same kinds at every lowes, home depot, sears) and it sucks balls. Go to a place that has commercial stuff and test mow those suckers.

If you're talking about mowing your new yard and not commercial landscaping...I'd look at a small tractor with a belly mower before spending the kind of money mentioned here on a zero turn. Sure it won't mow as well, but it will do everything else better.

I bought a used scag for 2,500.

Had a bunch of hours on it but itll last forever me forever in a yard.

I'm looking around too. I borrowed my uncles Bob-Cat and it's pretty nice. It's in my shed right now. I just can't decide on a zero turn or a nice belly mower, because it's pretty sketchy with the hills on my property with the zero turn.

ZTRs can't tow anything, and they're not too hot with hills.

You can buy a brand new Hustler at Lowe's for $3500, though.

I've got a toro z-master. Picked it up cheap from a friend. It's old and worn out, but has been very reliable and cuts great. My only complaint is it has a 44" wide deck, and my yard would easily accomodate a 60" or larger deck. I love cutting with it though. It's fun because it's quick.

Stay away from any brand marketed towards a homeowner. They're just cheap. If you really want a zero turn, pony up and buy a used commercial unit or a new one. I've worked on most everything, and as far as the drivetrain goes, they're all sourced from the same manufacturers. It's the chassis, wiring, and deck design that are the difference. Whatever you buy, the selling point should be serviceability and ease of parts sourcing. Look for grease fittings. If I could afford one, my first choice would be Scag. The ranked list after that would be John Deere, Hustler, Dixie Chopper, Gravely, Exmark, and Toro. Towing capacity for most all of the zero turn mowers is 500 lbs. Side hills can be sketchy on some, but I feel it's more about the tires on the machine and the track width over the brand. Whatever you do, make sure it's a twin-lever design. Don't get fooled into buying one with a steering wheel or a single joystick control. That's a headache you don't want!

Stay away from any brand marketed towards a homeowner. They're just cheap. If you really want a zero turn, pony up and buy a used commercial unit or a new one. I've worked on most everything, and as far as the drivetrain goes, they're all sourced from the same manufacturers. It's the chassis, wiring, and deck design that are the difference. Whatever you buy, the selling point should be serviceability and ease of parts sourcing. Look for grease fittings. If I could afford one, my first choice would be Scag. The ranked list after that would be John Deere, Hustler, Dixie Chopper, Gravely, Exmark, and Toro. Towing capacity for most all of the zero turn mowers is 500 lbs. Side hills can be sketchy on some, but I feel it's more about the tires on the machine and the track width over the brand. Whatever you do, make sure it's a twin-lever design. Don't get fooled into buying one with a steering wheel or a single joystick control. That's a headache you don't want!

But I cant drink a beer AND work 2 levers....
Thats makes yard work like...work.

Scags are $$$ but I love my wildcat 52" but I'm a little bias I worked at a Scag dealer for 3 yrs. look for a tiger cub older model or tiger cat newer model.. can be had for a decent deal used and will last a homeowner for ever.

I have a 60" Exmark and it's great. Stay away from the homeowner models as said before. If you buy used, don't get a worn out one. You don't want to have to start replacing pumps and wheel motors $$$$$!

No zero turn advice, but I can't imagine not being able to tow my yard trailer around. I use it all the time.

Whether your supposed to or not, my uncle pulls a leaf vac with his in the fall. I know the lower end units say not to tow, but the nicer ones say you can. Obviously the front end could get a little light. I don't know that I would pull one up a hill without weights on the front.

How about anther option? This is what I'm looking into. An articulating mower. I have an acre lot so I dont need a huge mower but need something that will get into tight places. They're kinda the best of both worlds and have multiple attachements (snow plow, broom etc). You get near the maneuverability of a zero turn with alot better stability. Easily serviceable deck and they can tow a trailer. I test rode one at a dealer and liked it.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riders/r-220t/

Have 2 60" Husqvarnas and a Mahindra 4550 tractor for the side lawn care/landscaping business. The tractor just sits, not very practical for anything but grading and tilling, so I wouldn't go anything that big.One of those things that's nice to have when you need it, but not really worth it IMO. Obviously, cheaper tractors out there than what I bought, but still don't think I'd do it for personal use for anything over 10k. The two husky's I've had for 3 seasons now, servicing 100+ yards weekly. Blew an engine in one, covered by warranty...replaced belt system in the other. Between the two and the trailer I bought for them, it was about 4-5k/ea mower. In reality...I think that's pretty cheap considering the 28" Cub Cadet at Lowe's can run you $2k.

You get near the maneuverability of a zero turn with alot better stability.

For all the talk about the maneuverability of a ZTR.... you can go buy a regular old Husqvarna lawn mower at Lowes for $1500 that has a 16" turning radius and heel/toe forward/reverse hydro drive. And it's got a warranty.

Or you could go pick up a used commercial-grade Scag with 2500 hours on it, use it for a couple months, have a drive go out, and blow $1500 getting it going again.

But I cant drink a beer AND work 2 levers....
Thats makes yard work like...work.

Easily solved
awww_mytractorforum_com_attachment_php_cd8d6a1eca1b10de7e6acb5c84ab76be._.jpg

No zero turn advice, but I can't imagine not being able to tow my yard trailer around. I use it all the time.
Valid point... but if you dig around on CL, you could surely get an old riding mower w/ a busted or no deck at all for $150 or so, and just that for "tractor" work.
Or just use an ATV.

For all the talk about the maneuverability of a ZTR.... you can go buy a regular old Husqvarna lawn mower at Lowes for $1500 that has a 16" turning radius and heel/toe forward/reverse hydro drive. And it's got a warranty.

Or you could go pick up a used commercial-grade Scag with 2500 hours on it, use it for a couple months, have a drive go out, and blow $1500 getting it going again.

Agree

I'm still mowing with the same Craftsman 42" cut hydrostatic drive riding mower I bought used in 2006 for $800. The only money I've spent on it so far was a new battery in 2013, and a tube for one of the tires.

I don't really get the whole zero/sharp turning thing. I don't have any trouble mowing with my current rider.

I don't really get the whole zero/sharp turning thing. I don't have any trouble mowing with my current rider.

For the general consumer I don't either. Started my bidness with a couple small Craftsman ride on mowers. Not as quick, but can lay the same patterns. Most folks I've seen with zero turns, all they end up doing is gouging and scorching their yard at every turn. But they have some pretty stripes, by God.

this is true, but I like having the blades out in front. Being able to mow up to, and under some things is worth it IMO.

LOL I'm currently looking at the one I mentioned above, but dont get me wrong, Im still riding my 33" HiVac Snapper. Yes I look like a fat Forrest Gump but I bought it used for $250 back in '08 and it's still running. Only reason Im looking to upgrade is I bent the deck on it and the turntable drive is shot. Helluva good running 12hp Briggs on it though.

Wife told me if I'm gonna get something to get something new and thats gonna last.

Last edited:
Back