ZJ radiator upgrade help

98zjstroker

needing to replace the old radiator and looking to upgrade to better cooling. Possible all aluminum, and/or two row. Saw some info about upgrading to the zj with towing package that comes in a two row. the review was for one on rockauto.com but I could not find it. I did find an HD with two row at

Radiator, Heavy Duty | Morris 4x4

It appears to have plastic tanks. which I am not against but all aluminum I heard is better.

radiatorexpress has an all aluminum for $240

Radiator 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.0 Liter L6 242Cid Radiator All Aluminum 2 Row | Radiator Express

not sure why but it shows the earlier zj model radiators that are cheaper wont work. either way I am not particular on which ever way I go. Just looking for ideas and opinions. I found a lot of aftermarket all aluminum ones on radiator express. I like the idea of the all aluminum with two rows but want to know what anyone else is running or has experience in. My stroker build was bored out .040 so I dont want any cooling issues and I feel upgrading here is worth the investment.

I will be running a separate trans cooler.

I had 3 all aluminum radiators fail in my YJ before going back to a stock type (with plastic tanks).

What I found is, if you aren't shelling out the big bucks for a name brand (like griffin), then they are all the same chinessium junk. Mine came from a guy on ebay that sold through 9 different shell companies.

The factory plastic tank unit has lasted in most vehicles I have owned well into the 200k range, and often needs replacement due to blockage/scale....most of which I blame on PO's and leak stop additives.

So I am leaning towards the HD radiator from morris 4x4. even though it has the plastic tank. I does have the two rows which I want and assume its for jeeps with towing packages since it is more of an OEM style. My next question with that is it says it does not work with the 98, only 93 and 94. I am curious as to why that is. If the motor and mounting points are the same, maybe something to due with the transmission cooling lines? Since I am going with a separate transmission cooler would there be a reason this one wouldn't work?

So I am leaning towards the HD radiator from morris 4x4. even though it has the plastic tank. I does have the two rows which I want and assume its for jeeps with towing packages since it is more of an OEM style. My next question with that is it says it does not work with the 98, only 93 and 94. I am curious as to why that is. If the motor and mounting points are the same, maybe something to due with the transmission cooling lines? Since I am going with a separate transmission cooler would there be a reason this one wouldn't work?

Interestingly, Summit lists that radiator (17101.23) as being 93-97, and Quadratec as 93-98. There is a 98-only radiator though (17101.25), so that's a good question about compatibility.

Hmmm. Maybe they're just different OMIX product lines and Omix changed the design for the later models.
Griffin lists the 94 and 98 with the exact same Griffin part number for their Performance Fit line.

In '98 the 5.9L was an option. Could be the '98 only is for the 5.9.

I've had 3 ZJ's and every one has had cooling problems. I've tried several different radiator brands/styles, high flow water pumps, etc. To date I haven't found a solution that works 100% while on the trail, around town I've never had an issue. As for all aluminium I haven't seen any noticeable difference over stock plastic tanks.

I've had 3 ZJ's and every one has had cooling problems. I've tried several different radiator brands/styles, high flow water pumps, etc. To date I haven't found a solution that works 100% while on the trail, around town I've never had an issue. As for all aluminium I haven't seen any noticeable difference over stock plastic tanks.

It's been hard finding anything regarding an actual fix to this issue. And because I'm running a stroker now that's been bored. 040 I am worried this will be an issue I'm going to deal with. The best thing I have found was a video on YouTube.

It makes sense so me. He talks about using the towing package version which is a two row. But the place he ordered from I couldn't find it. The one I found on Morris is the closest.

In '98 the 5.9L was an option. Could be the '98 only is for the 5.9.

The one they have listed for 98 is for the 4.0 but does not have the two core option. Maybe the towing package option was only for the 5.9 in 98 so it used a totally different one. And that the 4.0 didnt come with a towing package?

Hmmm. Maybe they're just different OMIX product lines and Omix changed the design for the later models.
Griffin lists the 94 and 98 with the exact same Griffin part number for their Performance Fit line.

I cant think of a logical explanation as to why it wouldn't work if it does for the 97. To my knowledge which is limited the 97 and 98 are identical. Now I noticed looking at my old one and comparing the adapters/fittings for the transmission cooler look different. Which is why I think that is the only issue. Dimensions wise and hose inlet/outlet I beleive are the exact same along with the mounting points.

Maybe they changed the size of those in 98 to try and improve flow volume to keep the transmission cooler? I feel like I might end up ordering it and trying since I cant figure out why it wouldn't work.

The one they have listed for 98 is for the 4.0 but does not have the two core option. Maybe the towing package option was only for the 5.9 in 98 so it used a totally different one. And that the 4.0 didnt come with a towing package?

ZJs with 4.0, 5.2 and 5.9 all could have had the OEM tow package. I cannot recall ever seeing any difference in 98 vs 96 and 97 era radiators.

ZJs with 4.0, 5.2 and 5.9 all could have had the OEM tow package. I cannot recall ever seeing any difference in 98 vs 96 and 97 era radiators.
Then its settled. I will order, cross my fingers, and hope it works! And if it doesn't enough duck tape and jb weld can make anything happen

Back