ZJ vs WJ and others....

shelby27604

I have been roped into helping someone buy 4wd SUV "beater".....but they want something nice and the budget is north of $4k (not really beater territory). I know I will probably get stuck fixing said vehicle, so I would like to start with something reliable and simple (I hate working on IFS vehicles).

I am leaning towards a grand cherokee, I know the 4.0l had head issues in 99? when they went to cast manifolds and dual cats, did the GC get the same treatment? Did Jeep resolve these issues by the end of the the WJ run (03-04?). Any advantage in the V8?

For added simplicity, I think something with a 242 case would be preferable vs. the quadradrive setup.

Any other recommendations? The jeep isn't set in stone, any other recommendations are appreciated.

The 4.0 head issues were '00 and '01 mainly. Then they came with a Tuppy head. Every Grand with a 4.7 I have seen for parts has engine issues. I look for parts jeeps all the time. The sweet jeep is the 5.9 Magnum IMHO. Only made in 98. There are a couple for sale on FB Marketplace right now.

Bang for your buck I would say ZJ. The 5.2s were nice and like said above the unicorn is the 98 5.9 model. WJ 4.7s have pretty much been deemed junk. The rear suspension on the WJ is also a little unique.

I heard the transmissions behind the V8's failed quite a bit. No real world experience but someone did tell me that can't remember who.

Toyota, then sas.....

NOPE.....not a personal vehicle....this is a vehicle that will be someone else' daily and likely driving around a 20 acre property. It doesn't need to be a hard wheeler....just something I hopefully won't have to work on regularly.

All auto trans from dodge/chrysler/jeep/fiat or what ever the heck they were called at the time suck. But i still vote ZJ

NOPE.....not a personal vehicle....this is a vehicle that will be someone else' daily and likely driving around a 20 acre property. It doesn't need to be a hard wheeler....just something I hopefully won't have to work on regularly.
Then Toyota

because...reliability

I got a 2000 WJ 4.0 4WD with the 242 case. Replaced the motor with a reman last year. When is this person looking to purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will also add that ZJ and WJ platform are dirt cheap to repair. You could rebuild a 4.0 on the side of the interstate in the pouring rain and be good to go. For what it’s worth my WJ 4.0 gets 15-16 MPGs on a tank of gas 50/50 split highway/city miles.

If wj, find a 4.7 if you can. Already has 242HD and ujoint front drive shaft. And it’s a V8. :driver:

I'd stick with an XJ. 4.0/aw4/231, hp d30 and 8.25 is all pretty much bullet proof. But that's just my opinion.

I agree. Bullet proof but they ride like dog shit compared to a ZJ/WJ.

That could be a fun fab project putting coils on the rear of a somewhat stock XJ.

I agree. Bullet proof but they ride like dog shit compared to a ZJ/WJ.

That could be a fun fab project putting coils on the rear of a somewhat stock XJ.

My XJ rode pretty good. If rides like a caddi is part of the criteria don't buy a jeep.

5.0 2nd gen explorer / mountaineer comes to mind.

As an XJ owner.....I would neither classify the stock ride as good.....nor bad....acceptable? I have replaced every single piece of the suspension, including a set of bilsteins front and rear.....leaf springs and a unibody will only ride so well.

It's a solid axle Jeep, it's not going to ride great. If ride comfort is a major priority, IFS should be a requirement. The wife has an 06 WK and it rides good but it's IFS.

none of it really matters, the list of requirements got thrown out the window when the wife "raised safety concerns" about a ZJ or WJ.

This whole thing has been an ordeal, the vehicle requirements and prices have swung so wildly during this whole time, no one knows what they want, and when we get close to a resolution it all went off the rails.

This whole thing did make me want a ZJ with an AX15 swap.......so I got that going for me!

none of it really matters, the list of requirements got thrown out the window when the wife "raised safety concerns" about a ZJ or WJ.

This whole thing has been an ordeal, the vehicle requirements and prices have swung so wildly during this whole time, no one knows what they want, and when we get close to a resolution it all went off the rails.

This whole thing did make me want a ZJ with an AX15 swap.......so I got that going for me!

In 93 the ZJ had a AX15 option...

Good luck finding one......I remember someone on here was selling one, but IIRC the interior was roached, and the engine was smoked.

they are certainly a unicorn, even more rare than the 98 5.9

Back