ZJ vs WJ and others....

I have a 97 zj with the 4.0 and selec trac tcase. 4 in long arm. I've been entertaining the idea of selling it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hear me out....

WK.

either the grand or the commander. in 5.7 liter flavor. dont mess with anything else. 545rfe transmission is pretty hassle free. might have to change the solenoid pack, but thats about $50 if you do it yourself.

prices are starting to get to the "north of 4k" point.

No... its not a Solid axle rig. and the 5.7s are awd instead of 4wd.

Cant do much (easily) about the IFS but the e-locker system that kicks in with 4-lo is amazing. Theres a wiring mod where you can add a dash switch to turn this on or off.

the 330 horsepower means not having to regear up to 33" and 35s if youve can cut enough of the body away to stuff them in the wheel wells.

dont wanna cut the body....lift kits via Old Man Emu are cheap. $800ish. those 31" take offs everyone tosses off their rubicons bolt right on and work great with that lift. there are options to lift 6 or 8"s on factory IFS, skyjacker or a "frankenstein" lift..google it. and swapping in a Dodge Dana 44 (tone ring. you can swap in an XJ Tcase and use what ever front axle you want if you dont like Dodge Dana 44s) isnt unheard of. or a rubicon 44 if you have the cash and want bling and narrow track width.

ive been pleased with mine. finances have keep mine tame with just an OME lift and 31s but it gets the job done for me.

Personally, I like the commander, it seems like most with the 5.7l have smoked engines....I am not sure if they get swallowed up by people who don't maintain them or what the issue is.

I might snap one up as a personal vehicle at some point.

Personally, I like the commander, it seems like most with the 5.7l have smoked engines....I am not sure if they get swallowed up by people who don't maintain them or what the issue is.
f
I might snap one up as a personal vehicle at some point.
From what I have heard and read it seems the Hemi is a decent engine but early years had issues with dropped valve seats and poor maintenance kills them. Cam issues is one thing I have read about too. Seems to me like the modern engine is not like the ole 4.0.

If you are patient you can find a WK with the 3.0 CRD diesel. Those hold a better reputation than the 2.8s in the liberties.
I just touched 200k on my 5.7 with only regular maintenance and a set of coil packs.

did just start to see drops of oil on the driveway. But that’s been my only issue.

hear me out....

WK.

either the grand or the commander. in 5.7 liter flavor. dont mess with anything else. 545rfe transmission is pretty hassle free. might have to change the solenoid pack, but thats about $50 if you do it yourself.

prices are starting to get to the "north of 4k" point.

No... its not a Solid axle rig. and the 5.7s are awd instead of 4wd.

Cant do much (easily) about the IFS but the e-locker system that kicks in with 4-lo is amazing. Theres a wiring mod where you can add a dash switch to turn this on or off.

the 330 horsepower means not having to regear up to 33" and 35s if youve can cut enough of the body away to stuff them in the wheel wells.

dont wanna cut the body....lift kits via Old Man Emu are cheap. $800ish. those 31" take offs everyone tosses off their rubicons bolt right on and work great with that lift. there are options to lift 6 or 8"s on factory IFS, skyjacker or a "frankenstein" lift..google it. and swapping in a Dodge Dana 44 (tone ring. you can swap in an XJ Tcase and use what ever front axle you want if you dont like Dodge Dana 44s) isnt unheard of. or a rubicon 44 if you have the cash and want bling and narrow track width.

ive been pleased with mine. finances have keep mine tame with just an OME lift and 31s but it gets the job done for me.

I was going to say that the Commanders have gotten cheap, I have noticed. Almost cheap enough to buy just for a hemi swap.

Back