Clear coating over multiple and layered vinyl stickers

Darkbloodmon

Don't have any experience painting much and wanted to get some advice.

I have a project im working on : I want to clear coat over a tailgate with multiple and layered vinyl stickers to preserve the stickers and protect it from UV, and the environment. Initially I wanted to do an xpel clear PPF over it but after talking to a Sun Stoppers installer they were certain it wouldn't work and weren't sure how to get the results I wanted, so they referred me to one of the best vinyl wrap shops in my area and they were stumped on how to go about it with conventional products.

Clear coating it with multiple layers of clear came up as a potential option, I need maximum adhesion, clarity, and UV/environmental protection. The clear coat needs to be chemically compatible with the vinyl material im using alot of stickers with different grades of vinyl in terms of its properties.

Anyone have any recommendations how to go about the process or what products I could use?

I can post a picture of what im working with but its a bit of an attack on the senses.

I used vice grip garage wipe on clear on my old cj7. Couldn't believe how good it looks. Went on over a few decals too and shined those up to. You can spray it on also.

Call up an Automotive Vinyl wrap company and see if they have a Clear UV resistant vinyl wrap. I don't see the clear coat lasting to be honest. I see it cracking at the edges of the vinyl stickers and splitting, or reacting with the clear coat differently. But a vinyl wrap might be the ticket.

I used vice grip garage wipe on clear on my old cj7. Couldn't believe how good it looks. Went on over a few decals too and shined those up to. You can spray it on also.
did it make it shiny or is a matte clear?

did it make it shiny or is a matte clear?
I used the high gloss mix from vgg. And it's shiny. You can order the matte or satin as well.

How well does it stack? I'd need to do several passes to build up over the stickers.

Call up an Automotive Vinyl wrap company and see if they have a Clear UV resistant vinyl wrap. I don't see the clear coat lasting to be honest. I see it cracking at the edges of the vinyl stickers and splitting, or reacting with the clear coat differently. But a vinyl wrap might be the ticket.
Called one last friday and still waiting to hear back from them, I was thinking along the lines of a clear dry adhesive vinyl then a UV laminate layer on top if of it once the surface is evened out.

The shops i've talked to said that a liquid application vinyl or PPF wouldn't work because of the height differences between the stickers and spaces in between they wouldn't be able to remove all the moisture and the heat from the sun would start to lift it.

How well does it stack? I'd need to do several passes to build up over the stickers.
Seemed to stack pretty well. I wiped it on and was amazed at how well it self leveled. 3-4 layers and it has a high gloss depth to it I wasn't expecting.

Just got a call back from a wrap shop, The only option they had to suggest was a liquid spray overlaminate.

Looks like its exactly what I need but the shop doesn't have an experience with the product and they've never run into a request like mine so its a grey area for them.

Sounds like they wrote the description exactly for your needs. Nice find.

Seems like the best product for my application, Wish I could take credit for finding it but the wrap shop put me on to it which im grateful for. Not sure what the shops markup or dealer supply rate is but they wanted $80 for the product and 1-2hrs labor (didn't say their rate).

Found it on a printing and graphics site for $16 per 12oz can and free shipping. Thankfully I purchased a spare tailgate to do some testing on before I lay it down over $450 worth of stickers.

I'll report back with pictures when I figure it out, hopefully someone else can find this information useful. Thanks for the feedback in this thread.

Clear jet was a bust, tested it out on a spare tailgate with stickers and it leaves a textured matte instead of a gloss. Tried a 7 coat then a 5 on different tailgates same results even after them getting a couple hours of direct sunlight after the coats.
20240528_115730.jpg
20240528_115740.jpg
20240528_115851.jpg
20240528_115903.jpg
20240528_115929.jpg

Gonna try a 2k clear coat next and then the VGG patina protector clear. After using it I think the clear jet is better on larger surfaces, it's seems more like a chemical application than a paint. It's better at dusting the surface /get it on there and go.

Back