Wrap it or Plasi Dip it ?

Blkvoodoo

professionally useless
paint is dead, has a lot of hail damage and other dents, residual adhesive from its former life ( fleet truck ) don't really feel like trying to buff that shit out, looks like ass, Don't really care what it looks like, just thinking of doing something different.

Either way would probably be a color you don't normally see in this body style ( or many Toyotas for that matter.

no intention of really sinking any real money into it, just a beater with a heater and AC. keep it running for awhile, see how far it can go 255k miles on it presently
IMG_3218.JPG
What would you do ?

4x2 auto V6

Leave it alone. Neither of those options are cheap or permanent. Waste of money and looks dumb IMHO. If you did it, it might win you a spot on the douche mobile thread though! Maybe throw a stack, some duallies, and fabrimicate some flip out mirrors as well

Last edited:
Wraps aren't cheap, figure $2-2.5k for something that size normally, depending on the vinyl quality... Cheaper than a paint job from someplace other than maaco though.

Leave it alone. Neither of those options are cheap or permanent. Waste of money and looks dumb IMHO. If you did it, it might win you a spot on the douche mobile thread though! Maybe throw a stack, some duallies, and fabrimicate some flip out mirrors as well

I'd do either myself, as far as the mirrors, no need to fab, they're available and not all that expensive, and has been considered for hauling camper, need to go with stock stuff first though.

Wraps aren't cheap, figure $2-2.5k for something that size normally, depending on the vinyl quality... Cheaper than a paint job from someplace other than maaco though.

can get a roll of wrap $200-400 color and length dependent, haven't looked into plasti-dip yet

there are countless hundreds of white double cabs, just want something a little different.

Either way would probably be a color you don't normally see in this body style ( or many Toyotas for that matter.

4x2 auto V6

4x2 auto? Sounds like it should be purple.

4x2 auto? Sounds like it should be purple.

It might

You'd be surprised how many are 2wd, I lot more than I expected. it might get converted to SAS one day, I dunno yet.

I would do nothing and just drive it. At the most I would maybe drop $200 on it having a detail shop buff out the paint and remove the adhesive you mentioned is still on there.

I think wraps, bedliner, plastidip and all that other stuff look like complete shit on a vehicle.

I would do nothing and just drive it. At the most I would maybe drop $200 on it having a detail shop buff out the paint and remove the adhesive you mentioned is still on there.

I think wraps, bedliner, plastidip and all that other stuff look like complete shit on a vehicle.

X2....

Drive it , it's a beater. My Benz beater just turned 475k still looks decent but every now and then I get the urge to doll it up, then I remind myself it's a beater. Get satisfaction out of driving it as far and as long as you can while putting the least amount of cash put into it. I drive to work and laugh as I'm surrounded by people driving a car payment that is depreciating every day they drive to work.
A wrap is douchey....plasti dip is great if you're 23 and own a eclipse.

Last edited:
I tried plasti dip and it worked but it sucked getting it off. I won't do it again
I was actually going to ask you about it as I knew you had done the YJ, and also noticed that most of it is now gone.

Drive it , it's a beater. My Benz beater just turned 475k still looks decent but every now and then I get the urge to doll it up, then I remind myself it's a beater. Get satisfaction out of driving it as far and as long as you can while putting the least amount of cash put into it. I drive to work and laugh as I'm surrounded by people driving a car payment that is depreciating every day they drive to work.
A wrap is douchey....plasti dip is great if you're 23 and own a eclipse.
This is replacing a much newer much nicer vehicle that has pretty much sat in the driveway the last 4 years. (Driven 4000 miles in the last year) Yes, it was being paid for the whole time. Pretty expensive yard art.
This can sit in the driveway just as well and be more useful to boot.
Brain storming ideas, there are a few spots on this truck that need some paint attention to stave off rust, couple of the hail dents are on body seams and the paint is cracked and slightly rusted now.
As for a wrap, it will be one color, it might be eye searing bright, it might be satin finish. But it will be monochromatic what ever it may end up. Just cover up the existing ugly for something maybe not so much. I may just leave it alone. I haven't had a toy to play with for awhile. We will see what happens

Another vote for drive it. Response will be the same as about everyone else that has said the same thing. My 99 dodge is a 20footer in my opinion and I've considered re-painting it. But the cost of doing it well will not increase the value of a depreciating asset.

My step brother has been plasi dipping his rims since the stuff has came out. He seems to love the stuff. They also make a spray that takes it off really easy. But both options is pricey. But if you plan on driving it till it dies then could be worth it. Changes the whole appearance of a vehicle. Hell for fourth of July he sprayed them red white and blue and then the next day they was green. He changes it up alot.

My step brother has been plasi dipping his rims since the stuff has came out. He seems to love the stuff. They also make a spray that takes it off really easy. But both options is pricey. But if you plan on driving it till it dies then could be worth it. Changes the whole appearance of a vehicle. Hell for fourth of July he sprayed them red white and blue and then the next day they was green. He changes it up alot.

Rims are easy with plasti dip. Doing an entire car is a different story and not worth it.

Watch out leaving the plasti dip on wheels for too long. The brake heat can bake the plastic on, and then is a pain to get off.

Wraps done right are great if it is the 3M vinyl with the air channels. I like it with the different color and mattes available. But typically can cost the same as paint. I have looked at some of the charcoal/graphite colors, and considered it for the reduction of prep work over paint.

Iirc it's priced by yard, in either 3ft or 5ft wide rolls. I think it was $90/yard.

My vote is to drive it and minimize $$ spent on it. Maybe just a quick buff and wax on the hood, as that's what you see while driving.

Maybe use plastidip on the wheels to simulate desired look of paint, remove the plastidip and then paint them.

I cringed the other week when I saw a newer m3 that the owners son obviously went crazy with plastidip on different parts of the entire car.

If I was just dying to do something to it, I'd call Maaco, Earl Scheib, and Peach and pick the cheapest and let them paint it, or I would scuff it up and paint it myself. Personally, I'd drive it just like it sits.

Duane

Back