40 closed in Haywood county

Conspiracy! It's the environmentalists trying to close hurricane creek!

They are estimating about 2000 dump truck loads of debris will have to be removed. That’s going to take a while to get cleaned up for sure. Looking like I’ll be taking the Nantahala gorge to AOP.

I wonder who came up with “closed for a week”? I’ll bet money it’s longer.
From what I’m hearing from a buddy that works for the state they are planning on having 1 lane in each direction over on the east bound lanes in about a week. They already have contractors on site cutting trees and hauling logs out of the way.

They are estimating about 2000 dump truck loads of debris will have to be removed. That’s going to take a while to get cleaned up for sure. Looking like I’ll be taking the Nantahala gorge to AOP.

200 wlos miss reported. Got a buddy who’s been out there all night turning people around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like some of us from the triad area may be going up 77/81 to AOP if it’s not open in 2 weeks.
That 1 lane deal around Harmon Den Rd wasn’t bad, but we drove thru late Friday night and came back Sunday morning when traffic wasn’t bad. Not sure how it would be with this closure.
Guess we will wait and see what you local guys report...

During the previous slides we went through Hot Springs, is that not shorter and quicker than the 81 route?

441 is closed due to a slide. Also there is a slide in Jackson county at the top of balsam that is causing traffic to alternate back and forth on one lane.

We are in Chattanooga and going to chance it and go through Nanthahala valley and hope the road isn’t closed due to high water or a slide

441 is closed due to a slide. Also there is a slide in Jackson county at the top of balsam that is causing traffic to alternate back and forth on one lane.

We are in Chattanooga and going to chance it and go through Nanthahala valley and hope the road isn’t closed due to high water or a slide

Just stay and go to AOP with us in a couple weeks.

Just stay and go to AOP with us in a couple weeks.

The weekend y’all are going to AOP we are going on a trip to. Boss is already pissed cause I asked off that Friday before he scheduled a budget proposal with a owner for a job that’s about 12 million dollars.

The weekend y’all are going to AOP we are going on a trip to. Boss is already pissed cause I asked off that Friday before he scheduled a budget proposal with a owner for a job that’s about 12 million dollars.

Just take that Thursday off also just to top it off.

What do you mean by “get stuck”?

Transfer trucks can’t make all the switch backs and there is no where to turn one around. There is a sign that says no trucks past this point but they still try. Then you have to wait for a couple rotator trucks to come pick and swing the trailer around the corner and then fallow the truck and do it again.

A person could pull a 30’ goose through it if they were careful but it could be touch and go in a couple spots.

For reference it’s turns and elevation change are similar to the tail of the dragon. It just doesn’t have the name or publicity that road has.

During the previous slides we went through Hot Springs, is that not shorter and quicker than the 81 route?

Depends on where you're coming from. Winston-Salem and points east, the difference between going I-40 through the gorge vs Wytheville to Knoxville is all but a toss-up.

Transfer trucks can’t make all the switch backs and there is no where to turn one around. There is a sign that says no trucks past this point but they still try. Then you have to wait for a couple rotator trucks to come pick and swing the trailer around the corner and then fallow the truck and do it again.

A person could pull a 30’ goose through it if they were careful but it could be touch and go in a couple spots.

For reference it’s turns and elevation change are similar to the tail of the dragon. It just doesn’t have the name or publicity that road has.

Gotcha. I’ve been that way with a trailer probably 6x or more. One of our guys did take a 26 or 28’ goose through that route but it’s been a long time for me.

Depends on where you're coming from. Winston-Salem and points east, the difference between going I-40 through the gorge vs Wytheville to Knoxville is all but a toss-up.
77/81 is generally 10 minutes longer. Negligible in a 5 hr trip for sure

40 is more entertaining (for me) because I love to speed thru the gorge and give Jason heartburn :cool:

Back