“E’s” get degrees

skyhighZJ

Thanks for your taxes
saw on the news tonight that NC is considering moving the level of “failing” to a 39%. First of all, who the hell would think this is acceptable. Secondly, as a perspective employer, would you hire someone who has a “passing” grade then you find out they achieved a 39% ?!

I have been out of school for a number of years and graduated HS with a 3.7 and was ridiculed over it. Graduated College with a 3.6 and was told basically the same thing in my degree field.
How have things fallen so far that this can even be considered acceptable?!

Letting people be stupid and happy makes them easier to control....duh.

I'm curious to know which degrees. Regardless, it's bullshit. Colleges in general are way to relaxed as it is. I washed my hands of that crap early in the game and opted for trade school instead. So glad I did. I went from being surrounded by a bunch of frou-frou faggets to being amongst adult men and women fresh out of the military that are driven to actually be something in life and saved money doing it.

I'm curious to know which degrees. Regardless, it's bullshit. Colleges in general are way to relaxed as it is. I washed my hands of that crap early in the game and opted for trade school instead. So glad I did. I went from being surrounded by a bunch of frou-frou faggets to being amongst adult men and women fresh out of the military that are driven to actually be something in life and saved money doing it.

I agree and wish I would have had this knowledge earlier in my life. I was in the era of if you don’t go to college you’ll be a “nothing”. Graduated and couldn’t get a job to save my ass. Joined the army as a way to get away and pay some debt. 17 years later and a HUGE eye opening later I realize I messed up.

I agree and wish I would have had this knowledge earlier in my life. I was in the era of if you don’t go to college you’ll be a “nothing”. Graduated and couldn’t get a job to save my ass. Joined the army as a way to get away and pay some debt. 17 years later and a HUGE eye opening later I realize I messed up.
Look hard into welding schools especially. Where I went was vet founded and caters heavily to ex-servicemen that seek vocational rehab and job placement. 19 out of 20 students in my class were from all branches and were signed up for higher end classes (10-15k) completely free of charge to them. One of the coolest classmates I had was a guy named Josh Reagen who had just retired after 22 years in the army. He's now on a pipe welder union in San Antonio making stupid money sending me pics of pics of him and his wife drinking a cold one on the back porch of his log cabin. I've turned a good many people on to that field since I was there. An ex-marine friend of mine just recently got on with a company in Missouri before he even graduated. It's a focused study but for a very wide open field.

The least amount of education needed the easier to control the $, jobs and power of the country. I feel like that’s their foot hold its ridiculous, but people need to educate themselves past the book smart aspect of life bc that shit only gets you so far if anywhere besides in debt in a lot of cases, 75% of things I’ve learned and actually made a living off of we’re far from anything taught in public schooling. Hey more money for us folks that do trades tho bc god knows most wont get their hands dirty this day and age!

As asinine of a concept as I think this is...this should at least appeal to the crowd that says standardized testing isn’t a good measure of student performance or intelligence...now those innovators won’t be held down by the man.

Here in MD, the letter grades don't include F, the lowest letter is an E. They specifically changed it to not be discouraging. This was a shock to me, I told my kids, I don't care what the letter is, if you get less than a C you failed at whatever it was you were trying to do.

*summons gruff old-timer voice* "back in my day...." :lol:

When I was in high school, there were no such thing as D's (grades, that is...otherwise -- nevermind. Wrong subject :lol:). The grade scale was A, B, C, F. No D. No E. No "good try, Brad, but do better next time." It was (A) great job, (B) you did alright, (C) try harder, or (F) you F*cking suck, dumbass!

Fast forward to college after the service time and a decade of being disconnected from academia, and suddenly I learn that D is a grade. WTF?? At least my major would allow no grade lower than a C on anything. Not even a C-. And you needed minimum 3.25 GPA to stay in the program. At least it felt like they were trying to not breed idiocracy right from the start...I guess.

But THIS bullsquirt? Damn. :shaking::rolleyes::lol:

Our government trying to fix something that isn't broken. Idiots.

As long as you remember that some of those "frou-frou faggets" design and engineer the stuff you are building and without them you wouldn't have a job.:flipoff2:

And I know know some of the "frou-frou faggets" can not design or engineer their way out of a wet paper bag, but some trades people suck at their job too.

All joking aside, lowering the passing requirement, and changing "F" to "E" is terrible for everyone.

I fully believe in trade school as the best and lucrative (have friends making $80k-$100k repairing and installing HVAC) carrier path for some, and we need more people taking that path, and more people walking the engineering path...why is anthropology a 4 year degree...good way to separate a fool from their money...in my opinion.

As long as you remember that some of those "frou-frou faggets" design and engineer the stuff you are building and without them you wouldn't have a job.:flipoff2:

And I know know some of the "frou-frou faggets" can not design or engineer their way out of a wet paper bag, but some trades people suck at their job too.

All joking aside, lowering the passing requirement, and changing "F" to "E" is terrible for everyone.

I fully believe in trade school as the best and lucrative (have friends making $80k-$100k repairing and installing HVAC) carrier path for some, and we need more people taking that path, and more people walking the engineering path...why is anthropology a 4 year degree...good way to separate a fool from their money...in my opinion.
And more than likely they were grads from engineering school 20 to 30+ years ago. I fully believe that it was a lot different back then and a lot more of a challenge to become anything.
The quality of people in higher-end fields over the next few years & beyond is going to suck. I just hope they don't loosen up on anyting medical related. Holy shit.

More "every kid gets a trophy" thinking.
I work with these useless, rewarded for nothing pieces of crap that got those trophies and I have to do half their job every freakin' night.

They failed then, they fail now.

Anybody have a link?

I'm not happy with things at my kids 'C' school, so I can't imagine anything that was an 'E'.

And more than likely they were grads from engineering school 20 to 30+ years ago. I fully believe that it was a lot different back then and a lot more of a challenge to become anything.
The quality of people in higher-end fields over the next few years & beyond is going to suck. I just hope they don't loosen up on anyting medical related. Holy shit.

Funny you say medical, I currently design, engineer and manufacture medical devices, work with MDs daily...you should be scared now...:eek:

Remember the MD that gets Ds is still called Dr.

Joking it's fine...it's all safe.;)

So in the 2000ish and 1990ish better engineers were produce? Sure back then they had to physically do some calculation and hand drawings b/c most PCs didn't have the power to do the calculation or the 3D modeling. The basic principles of engineering has not changed in a billion years (one of humanities oldest professions). ID the problem, find solution to ID problem, create a solution, validate the solution...rinse and repeat. my point is the system back then also produced bad apples.

These kinda statements always get to me...sure someone with 30+ years of experience is going to know the pit falls of a project day one of the project, and the green engineer that just got off the boat will do something stupid and the old timer will have to fix it...but that's how you learn...in my opinion you're not an engineer day on the job...that title comes with time. I graduated in 2009 FYI with an engineering degree.

Last edited:
the green engineer that just got off the boat will do something stupid and the old timer will have to fix it

The difference in knowledge and wisdom is usually determined by how many mistakes you've made in order to judge what knowledge to use. It's been my experience in engineering/construction; A design school/engineering college graduate has a great deal of knowledge, but little TRUE wisdom. A business savvy skilled old timer (contractor) with no degree has a great deal of wisdom. The brilliant are usually a very good mix of the two.

I'm neither a wise man, nor a brilliant person. But because I can acknowledge that, so I'm usually granted the ability to learn from truly wise men, hoping to enlighten me.

The arrogant tend to stay arrogant, and are generally never given that invitation to be anything other than arrogant.

"School performance" is the key word. The media has packaged this to get better traction (as it's doing) to outrage everyone, but we're STILL talking about the SCHOOLS performance and not the individual child

Last edited:
This is a bad idea. Most colleges require you to hold a certain GPA to stay in a program. these kids are going to come up thinking its okay to be slack asses. get into a college they have no business being in and then flunk out or drop out and still think they need college degree and college degree money. Im sorry but not everyone is going to college. hell i went to college twice (once for a 2 year degree and then back for a 4 year degree) and both times i was surrounded by idiots (and im not the sharpest tool)

Why do we need a letter to describe a range of numbers? An 87 is an 87. A 53 out of 100 is a 53. Pretty damn simple.

The difference in knowledge and wisdom is usually determined by how many mistakes you've made in order to judge what knowledge to use. It's been my experience in engineering/construction; A design school/engineering college graduate has a great deal of knowledge, but little TRUE wisdom. A business savvy skilled old timer (contractor) with no degree has a great deal of wisdom. The brilliant are usually a very good mix of the two.

I'm neither a wise man, nor a brilliant person. But because I can acknowledge that, so I'm usually granted the ability to learn from truly wise men, hoping to enlighten me.

The arrogant tend to stay arrogant, and are generally never given that invitation to be anything other than arrogant.

"School performance" is the key word. The media has packaged this to get better traction (as it's doing) to outrage everyone, but we're STILL talking about the SCHOOLS performance and not the individual child
Yep.
Link to bill here:
https://webservices.ncleg.net/ViewBillDocument/2019/503/0/DRH30064-MV-44

But for the lazy, here is the lead in paragraph:

-------------
Calculation of the Overall School Performance Scores and Grades. – The State Board of Education shall calculate the overall school performance score by adding the school achievement score, as provided in subsection (b) of this section, and the school growth score, as determined using EVAAS as provided in subsection (c) of this section, earned by a school. The school achievement score shall account for eighty percent (80%), and the school growth score shall account for twenty percent (20%) of the total sum. For all schools, the total school 11 performance score shall be converted to a 100-point scale and used to determine an overall school performance grade. The overall school performance grade shall be based on the following scale and shall not be modified to add any other designation related to other performance measures, such as a "plus" or "minus":

(1) A school performance score of at least 90 85 is equivalent to an overall school performance grade of A.
(2) A school performance score of at least 80 70 is equivalent to an overall school performance grade of B.
(3) A school performance score of at least 70 55 is equivalent to an overall school performance grade of C.
(4) A school performance score of at least 60 40 is equivalent to an overall school performance grade of D.
(5) A school performance score of less than 40 is equivalent to an overall school performance grade of F."

-----------

Clearly the media/article really f&cked this one up

Back