“It’s ’Mater like Tomater without the toe” 🍅

Today I learned I still have the will but the body is weaker than I realized.

It's not just you. 271 and 273 transfer cases are no joke! It'd have been fine with no gasket had they used something like ultra-grey...but I usually use a gasket with a light coat of RTV on both sides anyway.

Not sure if you've looked, but PowerStop rotors and their Z36 pads are amazing.

It's not just you. 271 and 273 transfer cases are no joke! It'd have been fine with no gasket had they used something like ultra-grey...but I usually use a gasket with a light coat of RTV on both sides anyway.

Not sure if you've looked, but PowerStop rotors and their Z36 pads are amazing.
It was heavy as shite til I got it up on the shaft and positioned myself under it and got the jack out of the way. I was able to press it and wiggle it on the dowel then and get a few bolts started.

I put a thin coat of Ultra Black on the gasket as it said “high oil resistance“ where my preferred Ultra Copper didn't mention oil. I hope the bastage is fixed, I don’t want to wrestle it again.

I have had excellent service from Detroit Axle brake stuff and that’s what I ordered with their ceramic pads. I didn’t spring for drilled and slotted like I did on the last SD. I didn’t feel like it really made any difference.

I checked the front end and steering, all seems tight. Front bearings seem good and no noise. I think I’ll take the hubs apart and replace the vacuum O-rings and get the vacuum hub setup working. Someone had taken all the vacuum lines off of it but to me that’s a convenient feature.

All in good time, I’m gonna drive it awhile and do progressively longer trips til I know I can trust it. So far it runs like a top and the trans shift perfectly.

My wife really wants to flat bed it 😂 Wheels have grown on me a little 🙄

A94FC407-E864-4CA3-AABE-3439CEB06E74.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't care that they're drilled and slotted so much as I do about their composition. Regular replacement rotors would glaze over in short order and have a noticeable decrease in brake performance. The PowerStops have held up a lot longer...but I do tow pretty heavy when I'm hooked to a trailer.

I found some factory steel XL wheels. Once I get em painted up I’ll have some Dick Cepek wheels for one of you stylish folks.

Attachments

• 999803F6-8ED6-43B7-9B63-36804C065E07.jpeg
    999803F6-8ED6-43B7-9B63-36804C065E07.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 97
New front brakes are on. Right side slide pins were frozen 😐 but I got em out and cleaned up and lubed. Involved the torch and a big adjustable wrench

AC still working perfectly and I drove it 2 hours continuously today to outside King and back with no issues.

Coolant looks a little off and I plan to swap it and the fluid in the diffs and Tcase before long.

I think the truck’s going to be a good one.

Took the dogs with me but put a blanket in there to keep the hair in check.

5ADDF23F-D97B-4AB7-9FC1-6DB796C17498.jpeg

Got the wheels sandblasted at Lucky’s this morning. I then did 2 coats of etching primer followed by 2 coats of Duplicolor wheel paint in silver.

I think they look fantastic 🤠

E1BFD078-A9A0-4071-AA7B-34B6CBB7BB8F.jpeg

I think I’ll paint the black center caps a medium dark gray so a little contrast without all the black.

😎

Last edited:
I always liked those wheels...& regular cab F-350 4wd w/ cab lights - pretty much building my happy truck!!

Lugnuts are in, going to go see my buddy at the llantas usadas place to switch the wheels for me. Ordered all new LED bulbs and new tow style mirrors since this one has the small mirrors.

Been driving it everywhere and no issues at all.

Good ‘Mater!

My buddy at the used tire place couldn’t do it today, his no touch machine is down. He said it should be back up Monday so maybe first of the week.

What.
A.
Day.

My buddy at llantas usadas place has not gotten the part for his machine. He recommended I take it to another BIG tire place in Mount Airy and said their mount and balance price was the same as his, $15ea.

What I decided to do was put the ATs from my Jeep on the truck and the MTs from the truck on the Jeep.…of course the truck was getting new-to-me wheels.

We get there about 11am, I show the writer what I want as far as switching tires from the 2 vehs as well as installing the newly painted wheels that are in the bed with the new Ford style flat lug nuts and my high pressure brass valve stems. He says they can get it pretty quick.

We walk over to Pizza Hut and took a long lunch. I had my grandson with me and the wife and you know a 20 month old has to be entertained. As we walked back, trucks seemed to be in the same place. Duder had told me it might take a little longer because guys were cycling through lunch.

My wife goes in to sit and I take Liam on a llooonnnngggg walk down the paved recreational trail that runs through town called the Ararat Greenway. I let him get good and worn out and headed back.

Trucks still in same place.

After another while it gets to be about 2pm and I went to ask WTH. I was told I was next.

At 3pm I had my daughter come get Liam as she was off a little early. Finally about 3:45 the trucks were pulled out. I paid the guy and we walked out to the lot.

Jeep looked fine from what I saw.

Truck? They had put the conical chrome lug nuts on my flat Ford wheels 😡

All damn day and this crud?

I go back inside and asked WTH. I mean we talked about the nuts being in the seat, hell they were still in the seat. I told duder we were going to the grocery store and to please have my truck done correctly when I get back.

I get back, get the keys and not even thanks or sorry. Remember, this is a big well known business.

OK, I drive home and get the Jeep in the shop. As I expected it had 65 PSI in the tires which explains my bleeding kidneys and lugnuts were torqued all over the place. I just re-did them all. On top of that, grease and grime in the form of hand prints all over my wheels and doors. Quick wash and finished up.

Truck…every tire was a different pressure from 40 to 65. Scratches on the new paint (duder promised me they wouldn’t touch the paint) in weird places that weren’t from the balancer or machine. Lug nut torque all over the place including one that was extremely tight on the rear, like over 200 lb/ft tight.

Sigh.

Got it all corrected including painting the hubs, torquing the wheels and adjust pressures and just got inside and out of the shower. If my buddy at the Mexican tire place had not been down it would have been done 100% correctly and in about an hour 🙁

Anyway it is done and I learned who not to go to again for tire work.

ED1C1B70-96DC-4AEF-A71C-FCD27AF246C8.jpeg

BD2B3A22-3144-462C-8323-5354F1F59701.jpeg

Got all of the LED bulbs installed and an electronic flasher. Looks twice as bright and is a much crisper amber. Wife says to order new headlamps because they’re cloudy, it’s a pet peeve she has.

It looks like a work truck now and not some 18 year old flatbrimwhiteoakley guy’s ride.

D92BA3D5-D35D-4178-8FCC-721A1DB98B8C.jpeg

Last edited:
Look what I just got LOLOLOLOL

CA9C6920-5555-48F8-96E0-2FF32361CC0D.jpeg

not going to upgrade to a clear lens?
I have in the past and to me the light is more scattered looking and not as even. I’ve put the clear lights in 2 previous Super Duties and felt it was a downgrade even though they look better.

Not sure where you bought the housings but plan on putting good quality bulbs in. The ones they ship “complimentary” don’t hold a candle, literally, to a good set of sylvania bulbs unless you’re looking to go LED (highly recommend).

Not sure where you bought the housings but plan on putting good quality bulbs in. The ones they ship “complimentary” don’t hold a candle, literally, to a good set of sylvania bulbs unless you’re looking to go LED (highly recommend).
I like the Silver Star bulbs for sure.

Lights finally in, I admit to procrastinating….

I ordered new clips. Always order new clips. Always.

499B9558-B037-4BCC-9707-649FE3C2B5F5.jpeg

‘Mater had his first problem yesterday. A coil went down.

Got it out and picking up the new one in a few.

Well over Thanksgiving I drove ‘Mater over 500 miles on a trip to JoCo to be with family and to go pick up some tires from @Southern_Transplant . I was a little apprehensive, it was the longest trip on the truck and on a holiday weekend to boot.

I am happy to report no issues. The old thing seems to be reliable.

One thing I think I will invest in is a cruise kit from Amazon or somewhere though.

Well over Thanksgiving I drove ‘Mater over 500 miles on a trip to JoCo to be with family and to go pick up some tires from @Southern_Transplant . I was a little apprehensive, it was the longest trip on the truck and on a holiday weekend to boot.

I am happy to report no issues. The old thing seems to be reliable.

One thing I think I will invest in is a cruise kit from Amazon or somewhere though.
Yeah, I'd put cruise control high on the list for a tow/road trip vehicle. Heck, I'm thinking of throwing one in the Jeep since I drive it to where I wheel it..

Back