01 PSD low power/boost/high EGT's

1100 EGT is very low if your sensor is in the manifold. I run around 1400 going uphill.
You may want to do some research on when aluminum turns into a liquid, at 1400 you aren't far from it. If mine gets to 1250 wich I've only seen once, I back off the throttle.

Ordered new boots. Boots are oily around clamps. Suspect boost leak is culprit.

Kevin, be sure to do the CCV mod. this will stop the oil from going into the intercooler. all thats needed is vent the crancase vent into the atmosphere and runa hose to the back of the truck. be sure to cap of the vent hose from the intake too. I got tired of oily boots popping off.

Also, think about pulling the intercooler and draining all the engine oil out of it. you will be surprised to see how much is sitting in the bottom. I used purple power and a garden hose, then dry with a leaf blower in one end.

I back out of my 7.3 PSD at 1250 ish too

Is that backwards? I thought pre-turbo readings would be higher than post-turbo?

Correct... pre-turbo is higher than post-turbo. Some CTD folks running both claim upwards of 300* difference! :eek:

I drilled/tapped my manifold to get the most accurate readings... cause the gauge & 1 hour to install is WAY cheaper than fragged pistons! FWIW, the melting point of AL is AT 1250*

Correct... pre-turbo is higher than post-turbo. Some CTD folks running both claim upwards of 300* difference! :eek:
I drilled/tapped my manifold to get the most accurate readings... cause the gauge & 1 hour to install is WAY cheaper than fragged pistons! FWIW, the melting point of AL is AT 1250*

Wrong. POST turbo is hotter. The Turbo superheats the air coming in, therefore it is always goig to be hotter post turbo.

Wrong. POST turbo is hotter. The Turbo superheats the air coming in, therefore it is always goig to be hotter post turbo.

How? The turbo only spins bro, it has no method to heat anything. It DOES heat the air on the compressor side...

Interestingly enough, I can find NO documentation that post-turbo temps are hotter... only that they run COOLER than pre-turbo...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/462975-pre-or-post-turbo-pyrometer.html

Post-turbo temps will read 200º-300º below pre-turbo

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...ion-1998-5-2002/10969-pyrometer-mounting.html

Usually the temperature out of the cylinders, again under full load, will
run around 1300 degF, but by the time it goes through the manifold and
turbocharger, etc. it cools down to the 700 to 900 range.

You may want to do some research on when aluminum turns into a liquid, at 1400 you aren't far from it. If mine gets to 1250 wich I've only seen once, I back off the throttle.

Ditto

I think by, post turbo, he was thinking, which is true, the turbo super heats the air coming from the airfilter pushing it into the intake. pre turbo would be ambient temps post turbo woud be alot hotter.

Of course we are talking about exhuast temps pre turbo vs post turbo, post turbo being cooler escpecially the further down the exhuast you go.

so you put the new hoses and clamps on, and it didn't help, now your thinking of taking it to the dealer or it is already there...........they are going to stick it to you and probably leave it worse off than it was.

Or its fixed. which one is it?

RESULTS..............................

Hose kit came in today. Put them on and went for a test drive.

Mashed the motor and it went to 19+ psi pretty easy. Will do the tow test next week. KC

RESULTS..............................
Hose kit came in today. Put them on and went for a test drive.
Mashed the motor and it went to 19+ psi pretty easy. Will do the tow test next week. KC

19 with just the truck right?
What kind of psi were you getting while towing before it went south?

19 with just the truck right?
What kind of psi were you getting while towing before it went south?

I don't know for sure, I never really get on it towing or not. It's not my DD. I just know it lost performance and will see how it does towing next week.

i stand corrected so what of your check engine light surely the ICP code was not related to boost loss.

Light isn't on now, and code was cleared. I'll let you know if it does come back on.

TOW test..........................

Plenty of power......
2000ish RPM's, 60 to 65 MPH, Level ground, Towing 27' Camper.............6 to 8 PSI Boost, 850 deg. EGT, slightly more boost and egt's going up hill. Hit 1100 egt's on long drawn out hills but, not 1100 all the time like before.

NO SES light!

Fix was new engine boot and intercooler boot kit. cost was $210ish.

Back