02 Suburban 5.3 2wd...too slow now

@Chris_Keziah may have some input on that (ish) setup and towing a rig
It'll get the job done but you won't wining any races and you definitely won't pass many gas stations. If I were you @marty79 I'd be looking for a 3/4 ton gasser, towing with a 4L60e is a sure fire way to get a bunch of neutrals.

so when I'm do to be corrected, I'm due to be corrected lol.
@Ron i got to thinking about the math you did and it bugged me that how the heck did I end up with only that much gas used...duh stupid, I forgot about the gas I used going to the trailhead and back (about 3/16 tank) then I filled up before we left so I lost track of what was actually used on this trip...we made it home from Outpost filled up on just over 3/8" of a tank, almost half...
nontheless, it was slow until i hit downhills LMBO,

so when I'm do to be corrected, I'm due to be corrected lol.
@Ron i got to thinking about the math you did and it bugged me that how the heck did I end up with only that much gas used...duh stupid, I forgot about the gas I used going to the trailhead and back (about 3/16 tank) then I filled up before we left so I lost track of what was actually used on this trip...we made it home from Outpost filled up on just over 3/8" of a tank, almost half...
nontheless, it was slow until i hit downhills LMBO,
I promise if you're talking in fractions of a tank instead of decimals of a gallon, you have no idea what your actual fuel mileage is. Here's a screenshot of a few tanks on my 2012 F250
Screenshot_20210923-181830_Chrome.jpg

And I have a total of 107 fill ups over the 3 years I owned the truck. Im a data geek, so I know I'm an outlier in recording every fillup, but everyone should do it for a few tanks to know what their real mpg is. It will probably disappoint you. Especially if you use a GPS to check your speedometer and realize it is also making your odometer optimistic by 5-10%, which decreases your mpg by the proportional amount.

Last edited:
I promise if you're talking in fractions of a tank instead of decimals of a gallon, you have no idea what your actual fuel mileage is. Here's a screenshot of a few tanks on my 2012 F250
View attachment 357958
And I have a total of 107 fill ups over the 3 years I owned the truck. Im a data geek, so I know I'm an outlier in recording every fillup, but everyone should do it for a few tanks to know what their real mpg is. It will probably disappoint you. Especially if you us a GPS to check your speedometer and realize it is also making your odometer optimistic by 5-10%, which decreases your mpg by the proportional amount.

Got a link to that log widget? I keep a meticulous daily log book on all maintenance, upgrades, and repairs including fill ups and every key on/off cycle trip down to the date time and temperature. I'm on my 3rd written notebook and want to get it organized and plot trends.

Got a link to that log widget? I keep a meticulous daily log book on all maintenance, upgrades, and repairs including fill ups and every key on/off cycle trip down to the date time and temperature. I'm on my 3rd written notebook and want to get it organized and plot trends.
Www.Fuelly.com

Last edited:
I've checked every tank in all of my trucks since I started driving. Best way to determine if something is wrong too. If you go from an average of 18 consistently to 14 with no other changes, something is wrong!

I even correct my tire sizes in the tuning as the tires wear. I never let the speedometers get more than 2 mph off. I'm kind of a nerd with that stuff.

I get a really good average between fill ups on the old Duramax too. Takes a little while to burn 62 gallons through it. The weird thing is...it'll still pull off 17mpg running 86 mph down I95 for 4 or 5 hours to SC. I haven't figured that out yet.

@marty79 Go weigh your rig and stop guessing. Reset the trip meter when you fill up the Burb, drive, fill it back up, and do the math and...quit guessing.

Just saw a 3/4 ton burban for sale in KY for less than 10k. Not sure what your budget could be but selling your current one and not doing any upgrades may get you close. FWIW I have a 2013 3/4 Burb with the 6.0 and it is a beast, I DID get 17mpgs hand calved on the way home from Alabama when I bought it but it was at night with the cruise set at 65 for the entire tank (approx 400 miles); but since then I get 13 on a good trip not towing

I'm pretty sure I'm correct to assume if I regear this Suburban with 4.56, yes it will tow pretty good, but I would be stuck with it as far as no sale down the road?!? (i figured not many people would buy it with that kinda gearing since I'm assuming when not towing, it would be not as "economical" to drive? probably fun but not your average persons desire.....

I'm pretty sure I'm correct to assume if I regear this Suburban with 4.56, yes it will tow pretty good, but I would be stuck with it as far as no sale down the road?!? (i figured not many people would buy it with that kinda gearing since I'm assuming when not towing, it would be not as "economical" to drive? probably fun but not your average persons desire.....

It’s not gonna be THAT big of a deal. With exhaust and all it would be more desirable to more than you think, specially the younger crowd. Many folks (read as Mustang owners) learn that they are disappointedly weak and terribly expensive to make any real power. So changing the gears is a cheap way to give the sound and feel as if it had lots of power 🤣

Seriously though, I wouldn’t hesitate to regear it. If you drive it 2 more years it’s worth it. And in the price range it would sell for with the miles, it only limits your buyers very little IMO.

It’s not gonna be THAT big of a deal. With exhaust and all it would be more desirable to more than you think, specially the younger crowd. Many folks (read as Mustang owners) learn that they are disappointedly weak and terribly expensive to make any real power. So changing the gears is a cheap way to give the sound and feel as if it had lots of power 🤣

Seriously though, I wouldn’t hesitate to regear it. If you drive it 2 more years it’s worth it. And in the price range it would sell for with the miles, it only limits your buyers very little IMO.
Good point. $175 for 4.56 gear and install kit with all the bearings?? Daiuuum

It appears the 8.5/8.6 ring gears work either way? @Jody Treadway

What ever you do don't buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton gas rig if this is how you feel. Coming from someone that owns and tows with 2 on a regular basis, you will be disappointed with any of them.
True but with a v10 I expect that and it wont be my daily either

It appears the 8.5/8.6 ring gears work either way? @Jody Treadway
Yes, gear sets are the same. Only difference is the install kits. 99+(ish) had bigger carrier bearings iirc. I'd strongly recommend a true trac when you re-gear. Ole gov bombs arent called bombs for no reason.

Yes, gear sets are the same. Only difference is the install kits. 99+(ish) had bigger carrier bearings iirc. I'd strongly recommend a true trac when you re-gear. Ole gov bombs arent called bombs for no reason.
Thank you for confirming

Might open up the market to someone who wants to put 30" rims on it and jack the front up 10". Oh wait that's illegal now...

Just saw a 3/4 ton burban for sale in KY for less than 10k. Not sure what your budget could be but selling your current one and not doing any upgrades may get you close. FWIW I have a 2013 3/4 Burb with the 6.0 and it is a beast, I DID get 17mpgs hand calved on the way home from Alabama when I bought it but it was at night with the cruise set at 65 for the entire tank (approx 400 miles); but since then I get 13 on a good trip not towing
I bet the 6 speed makes a huge difference. I wanted one but settled for the 2005 with 4l80.

What ever you do don't buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton gas rig if this is how you feel. Coming from someone that owns and tows with 2 on a regular basis, you will be disappointed with any of them.
Are you being serious or joking? Nothing wrong with a gas tow rig, I have two myself

Are you being serious or joking? Nothing wrong with a gas tow rig, I have two myself
I guess I should have quoted the entire quote;

Shoot no, I get 17mpg. I would've sold this thing in a heartbeat if it was that bad.
I was merely stating that if he thought getting 10mpg was bad enough to sell his tow rig, he's going to be disappointed with a gas tow rig. My wife's excursion pulled off 10mpg towing my lightweight toyota to Harlan and back last year, but thats a light toyota on an average trailer. My F450 gets 8.5mpg towing my toyota or grossing 25k, doesn't really change much.

Damit...now I cant stop thinking if this is the time to but a set of superduty axles geared 4.30 for $600, a transfer case and convert this into a pretty awesome 4wd tow rig..this was my long term plan for this burb...oh decisions decisions dang it, time time (need to hire little junior to do these small jobs so I have little more time)

Damit...now I cant stop thinking if this is the time to but a set of superduty axles geared 4.30 for $600, a transfer case and convert this into a pretty awesome 4wd tow rig..this was my long term plan for this burb...oh decisions decisions dang it, time time (need to hire little junior to do these small jobs so I have little more time)
Because adding another 2000 pounds of weight and rolling resistance will be offset by 4.30s.

Back