02 Suburban 5.3 2wd...too slow now

If I dont sell it that'll be way I go.
So you also agree 4.56 is the magic number
That's your call. 4.10s won't be noticeable at all. If you're gonna do it, make it worthwhile. 4.56 will give you a mechanical advantage that no engine/trans mods will.

If your last rig was 5800lb and this one is WAY more, how much do you think it weighs? Based on what you're saying, between rig and trailer, you are dragging around 10k pounds, which is just more than is comfortable for any half ton SUV. If you don't want a truck, I think the smart move is an Excursion or one of the GM 2500 series SUV's.

If your last rig was 5800lb and this one is WAY more, how much do you think it weighs? Based on what you're saying, between rig and trailer, you are dragging around 10k pounds, which is just more than is comfortable for any half ton SUV. If you don't want a truck, I think the smart move is an Excursion or one of the GM 2500 series SUV's.
My guess is rig weighs 6500ish? Just based off towing the other rig for 2yrs, this is much heavier. Suburban handles the weight since I have 14k weight distribution setup with sway bar..feels awesome, dont know it's back there as far as sway/moving around goes. I just know it's there cause it's slow as hell lol

I would regear to 4:56 and add a larger trans cooler. That will make a drastic improvement and hold you off for a couple years while you plan to buy a 3/4 ton or bigger truck.

John, The burb is currently your DD too, right?

Not to disagree with the above folks, but, to me, that matters. Maybe not a big deal, but deeper gears will effect unloaded mileage too, if that matters. I agree that will likely be the best bang for your buck, though.

Not to disagree with the above folks, but, to me, that matters. Maybe not a big deal, but deeper gears will effect unloaded mileage too, if that matters. I agree that will likely be the best bang for your buck, though.
Yeah it's my DD but a sacrifice I'm gonna have to make.

my 02 suburban 2wd 5.3 340K 3.73 rear, runs great, not a peep since we bought it with 281 little over year ago!
50k miles per year at 10mpg at $3/gallon is $15,000. No idea what you actually get MPG-wise, but if you bought a newer Ram 1500 Ecodiesel it would pull it better and probably just about pay for itself in fuel savings if you're actually doing 50k miles/year.

<cue all the "diesel is expensive, gassers rule!" Bros>

50k miles per year at 10mpg at $3/gallon is $15,000
Shoot no, I get 17mpg. I would've sold this thing in a heartbeat if it was that bad..now 4.56 gears might do that lol

Shoot no, I get 17mpg. I would've sold this thing in a heartbeat if it was that bad..now 4.56 gears might do that lol
Is that hand calc'd or going by the dash? If hand calc'd you're definitely on the higher end of the spectrum. If going by the dash, I'd highly recommended hand checking a few tanks to see what it really gets.
1632409378562.png

Is that hand calc'd or going by the dash? If hand calc'd you're definitely on the higher end of the spectrum. If going by the dash, I'd highly recommended hand checking a few tanks to see what it really gets.
View attachment 357909
Mine (4wd with 3.42s) gets 16+ mpg average and 20 on interstate trips, hand calc. Highway rpms are so low, I'm sure regearing would hurt a little but no where near 10mpg.

My 6.0 3.73 gets low teens.

Mine being 2wd, gets 17tested for every trip..even this past weekend I got right at almost 17mpg with the slowness lol

Ok, you had me until you claimed to get 17 mpg towing 8k or more with a 5.3 V8.
I tow about 60mph so it doesn't change much. With a/c blasting it dropped to 14ish.

I tow about 60mph so it doesn't change much. With a/c blasting it dropped to 14ish.

You must have the cummins mod on that thing to get 14MPG towing 8k on that thing..... let me get some of that good stuff you are smoking.

So you are going based off hand calculation right? Miles traveled / gallons filled up (and a full full up each time)

You must have the cummins mod on that thing to get 14MPG towing 8k on that thing..... let me get some of that good stuff you are smoking.

So you are going based off hand calculation right? Miles traveled / gallons filled up (and a full full up each time)
Hey say what you want but in OD at 60, rpms are pretty low. I might be off 1mpg but I'm close to that. I've got upgraded intake, upgraded exhaust and she puts along till it gets to an incline, which on this trip was mostly holding 45mph in 3rd so I wasn't winding out 2nd. Unless my gas needle is way off according to how many gallons I used before and after than it was right around 15ish towing to uwharrie, no a/c, tires at 80psi

Gas needle? I usually go with what the pump tells me the tank took on fill-up. My gas needle doesn't tell me how many gallons I burned. Curious.

and to cure what ails ya... Turbo FTMFW. :cool:

Sounds to me like a bad odometer may be at play.
I drive a TON for work. And 50k/year is a ton. (My 2015 Tundra bought in august of 15 has 238k on it currently)
I dont think hes driving 50k miles a year and working the hours that he does. I could certainly be wrong.

But if his odometer is off, as I suspect, it would also cause him to have a bad mileage figure in his mpg calculations.

The trip this weekend should have been right at 200 miles round trip from Vale to URE and back.
at 17 mpg thats 11 gallons of gas at 14 its 14 gallons of gas.

John any idea how much gas it took to fill her back up?

Sounds to me like a bad odometer may be at play.
I drive a TON for work. And 50k/year is a ton. (My 2015 Tundra bought in august of 15 has 238k on it currently)
I dont think hes driving 50k miles a year and working the hours that he does. I could certainly be wrong.

But if his odometer is off, as I suspect, it would also cause him to have a bad mileage figure in his mpg calculations.

The trip this weekend should have been right at 200 miles round trip from Vale to URE and back.
at 17 mpg thats 11 gallons of gas at 14 its 14 gallons of gas.

John any idea how much gas it took to fill her back up?
You might be on to something lol, but it was little over 9gallons used. So you could be right and this whole time I'm off lol.
Yes I did drive that much, we drive a lot from here to west Jefferson, buy vehicles everywhere, go get parts etc

It sounds like you need to trade the Burb in on a 3/4 ton unit with a bigger motor. I guess I'm just not believing that some gears, headers, electric fan, and a tune is really going to make a big difference. I'm talking a difference of going 45 mph up a small hill to going 60+.

Another thought. Have you checked the brakes and bearings on the trailer recently? I know the new rig is heavy, but wouldnt think it is that much heavier than the previous rig, without any cage in it. You could measure your coilover springs and get a good estimation of the weight.

Another thought. Have you checked the brakes and bearings on the trailer recently? I know the new rig is heavy, but wouldnt think it is that much heavier than the previous rig, without any cage in it. You could measure your coilover springs and get a good estimation of the weight.
Trailer is all up to par, I always check that stuff before every trip.
Idk, could be motor maybe getting tired? It still runs great empty so I figured I would notice..idk

Back