02 TJ L83 genV swap

marty79

So I came back home to new customer with a TJ for LS swap. Another doctor lol from Miami. Motor came from 2018 Tahoe 24k miles, 6L80 trans, stock tcase, ordered custom harness/ECU/ pedal assembly that's coming this week so here we go. First I have body lift to put on.
He wants the Camaro ss fan, nobody sells mounts so I guess I'll be making those.
Stay tuned......

Get after it.
Its definitely not a simple 5.3 LS swap but I'm exited to do it since it's not a popular swap yet..lots of people interested in it apparently but not many have done it

Now would be the best time for him to do an AFM/DOD delete since the motor is out...and a decent torque converter in the 6L80 before it decides to crap the bed. I hope he got a reallllly good deal on that setup. I don't think it's something I'd use even if I were paid. It's even direct injection (barf).

Carry on.

I hope he got a reallllly good deal on that setup. I don't think it's something I'd use even if I were paid. It's even direct injection (barf).

Carry on.
"Those aluminum block v8's will never last!" -1997

Last edited:
Now would be the best time for him to do an AFM/DOD delete since the motor is out...and a decent torque converter in the 6L80 before it decides to crap the bed. I hope he got a reallllly good deal on that setup. I don't think it's something I'd use even if I were paid. It's even direct injection (barf).

Carry on.
It's his money, he had the build plans already..I'm just the installer on this one. He did his homework and this is what he wants

"Those aluminum block v8's will never last!" -1997

It's not even that. Nothing wrong with an aluminum block, but AFM/DOD, direct injection, and a 6L80E? All three of those things are probably the worst of what GM has to offer and have a known track record with having issues. MAYBE the 6L80 will survive in a Jeep, it's got to be lighter than a Tahoe. My main point was from a simplicity and reliability stand point, there were better options for a swap, but if they're to used I'd address the issues while it's all out of the vehicle. That's all.

It's not even that. Nothing wrong with an aluminum block, but AFM/DOD, direct injection, and a 6L80E? All three of those things are probably the worst of what GM has to offer and have a known track record with having issues. MAYBE the 6L80 will survive in a Jeep, it's got to be lighter than a Tahoe. My main point was from a simplicity and reliability stand point, there were better options for a swap, but if they're to used I'd address the issues while it's all out of the vehicle. That's all.
Well hes counting on motor and trans to last a good while with only 24k miles on em so ...I sure as hell hope so otherwise I just lost all confidence in the bowtie lmbo

Here's the jeep, installed 2" body lift today..sweet should make the swap easier.
20210920_181621.jpg
20210920_123229.jpg
20210920_123219.jpg

I have no clue I'm just giving you a hard time :p

I think it's crazy that today was first time EVER installing a body lift...like WTH lol. It was pretty easy I guess, just annoying. Thank goodness this TJ has 0 rust so the bolts came right out and everything except the steering spacer was pretty smooth.
It's not everyday you get a customer that's done ALL his homework for a swap and parts etc... heck he knows way more about this whole swap than I do haha. He asked if I had done LS swaps, I said yeah in a TJ, then he says name your price...you got this. I gave a "ballpark" price higher than previous LS swap since this is new territory and from research I've done already, I'm glad I didn't sell myself short cause there's quite a bit more involved with this than a basic LS motor install.
The good news is he's ordering a complete build harness/ECU already tuned and labeled (so he says) and will be complete plug and play ...told him labor price is based on that holding merit!! haha
This could be a huge deal though, being from Miami and a doctor, he's got a huge following he says with a lot of "rich" friends with TJs/LJs and JKs so if this goes well and price remains reasonable, I could very quickly see several more show up instantly so heck yeah, bring it on. If I get 2/3 more of these lined up after this, I'm hiring a full blown fabricator/mechanic to come in here and get things rolling and offer em plenty good enough salary he wouldn't turn down...I ain't tryin to get rich, just do what I love doing!! back to research...........

Well hes counting on motor and trans to last a good while with only 24k miles on em so ...I sure as hell hope so otherwise I just lost all confidence in the bowtie lmbo
It's partially their fault and partially the EPA. It'll likely be good to go for a while, other than the intake valves wanting to load up with carbon.

@marty79 JKs get to be a little more complicated (mostly just expensive because of wiring harnesses) with all of the CANBUS electronic communications on them for BCM functions. It's generally easier to Hemi swap those, but there's plenty of LS swaps been done. My thing is, to pass inspection in NC you'd have to piggyback the GM computer with the Jeep computer or it would never read the proper Jeep VIN when it's plugged in to the state inspection computer.

This one isn't THAT much different. Just different wiring and fuel system. LT vs LS. Same basic shape and size for the motor, I think the 6L transmissions are a little bigger around than previous 4Ls.

thank the GM engineers for their little connectors on this LT motor,. WTH were they thinking...to make it even harder they have some of them facing the block where you can't see what the heck your doing to unplug them...i swear them darn engineers think they so smart...took me like 2hrs to unplug the entire harness so I didn't break any sensors....which reminds me dam, this motor has tons of sensors everywhere lol
So I'm a little confused...just a little. This motor has no vacuum ports, so it has a vacuum pump at the bottom right of motor that is just a big air pump? this can be used for the brake booster, correct? thanks

thank the GM engineers for their little connectors on this LT motor,. WTH were they thinking...to make it even harder they have some of them facing the block where you can't see what the heck your doing to unplug them...i swear them darn engineers think they so smart...took me like 2hrs to unplug the entire harness so I didn't break any sensors....which reminds me dam, this motor has tons of sensors everywhere lol
So I'm a little confused...just a little. This motor has no vacuum ports, so it has a vacuum pump at the bottom right of motor that is just a big air pump? this can be used for the brake booster, correct? thanks
Yes, that is what supplies the vacuum in the trucks. Mine has failed, which was a little scary with no power brakes. It was a recall item.

What are you doing for power steering? Was the truck it came out of electric assist?

And how long is this thing compared to a 4l60?

What are you doing for power steering? Was the truck it came out of electric assist?
Ict billet setup with Corvette pump.
The 6l80 isn't longer its bulkier and heavier though lol

is he going to do a SYE on the tcase?
I'll know when I get there..we're running the full chevy drivetrain. Screw all them expensive adapters and complications with speedometer and such, keeping it simple

Dang I'm just getting started and I've already got inquiries about another one...oh boy

anyone use "current performance wiring" for their complete Harness/ECU direct plug n play?
If not, any other descent recommendations, thanks.

PSIConversion seems to be pretty good rep unless anyone has different opinion...

Guys I've heard of screwing up an order but daiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmm somebody gettin fired from Holley!!
He ordered and paid for 1 LT1 swap motor mounts and I get 2 boxes full of 30...yes that's 30. What in tarnation.....bye felicia
20210929_184921.jpg

Their screw up, your profit.

Back