1901 Farmhouse renovation

That's awesome.

Stay tuned. We utilized a lot of refurbished items on the house. Well, not a lot, but some. Most of what we removed was rotten so there wasn't much to repurpose.

The front porch was some kind of untreated wood with about a 1/2" thick layer of paint on the top. Heavy as hell wood ( likely lead paint... ). The bottom side is really cool looking. We haven't reutilized it anywhere but did keep it. Same with many of the old rough sawn studs we removed. I'll use them for something even if it's not on this house. I now have a decent table saw and access to a planer. So I may start honing my wood working skills into something random with all the old wood. :)
Anything you build with "reclaimed" wood moves the sale price two decimal places to the right over new wood.

Anything you build with "reclaimed" wood moves the sale price two decimal places to the right over new wood.

I guess I'm sitting on a gold mine! The original 116 year old plank floors are still there. They are utilized as the subfloor for the later 3/4" thick red oak hardwood floors. :)

The original girders are rough sawn 8" and 12" wide timbers. :D

Did the TV show pay you? How did that come about? I would like to watch it when it comes on.

Did the TV show pay you? How did that come about? I would like to watch it when it comes on.

Very little. Mostly just reimbursed us for our time while filming.

I was searching for something online a while ago and came across where they were looking for people doing their first flip in the southeast. So I sent in a few pics and info. I forgot about it for a month or so and then they called.

I have the air date and time but will wait to post it until it becomes public. It's later this month. :)

been following on fb and ig, but its nice to see it all compressed here in a thread.
awesome work and amazing you have the time.

been following on fb and ig, but its nice to see it all compressed here in a thread.
awesome work and amazing you have the time.

Thanks.

I really don't have the time. That's one reason it's taken so long to do. Between work, family, grad school, and everything else the only time I have is in the evenings and weekends. And to top it off, the last 8 weeks I've been in Cincinnati for work, coming home every other weekend and holidays.

This past weekend was do or die as we wrapped up for final filming. Get there early, leave really late at night. The kids even slept there one night while we worked.

Sunday thru Tuesday was crazy and a huge blur! I got there about 8am Sunday morning and started working on finishing up a lot of little things. I didn't stop working or leave until Tuesday morning at 7am. I literally worked through the day and each night without sleep to get the work done. It was crazy. I just kept food and water in me and I was good. If I sat down I would have passed out. :lol: But, with being out of town, ya kind of have to do what ya have to do when you can. The only reason I stopped at 7am on Tuesday was because my back started cramping up real bad and I couldn't really get up off the driveway without help. So I got in the truck and went home for a few hours of rest while Bri took the kids to school.

I saw this on FB the other day and thought it was pretty fitting. :lol:

IMG_0860.JPG

:lol:

Sorry. We bought it last year and have been renovating it since. It's nearly complete now and will be on the market soon.

Over the next week or so I'll update the thread with progress pics. So it's basically a build thread from the last year compressed into a couple weeks. :D

Oh, and if anyone doesn't want to read the thread, you can watch it on DIY Network later this month. :D

The extended timeline was partially due to timing for filming, etc.
DIY network? Doing big things... how did that come about? Better see some nc4x4 swag on ya job site lol I'm gonna watch it if ya know when it's gonna show post up the dates!

I didn't realize when I seen the progress on fb you had a film crew in there lol! Awesome work man!

I was searching for something online a while ago and came across where they were looking for people doing their first flip in the southeast. So I sent in a few pics and info. I forgot about it for a month or so and then they called.

I have the air date and time but will wait to post it until it becomes public. It's later this month. :)

Can't wait to see how they edit you to look like a complete dumbass.

I hear ya. No sleep. Work til it’s done.
Sounds like my first house after the separation. Sounds familiar... Lately that’s how I get the truck ready before a ride. ;) Workin all night.
Good stuff Rob and congrats to your future awesome sale.

IMG_7010.JPG

Former master bedroom converted to a master bath. Floor is down and framing for the water closet and walk in closet. Behind the ladder you can see the drywall patch from where we demolished the doorway leading into an adjacent bedroom.

IMG_7085.JPG

New front sidewalk bordered with brick salvaged from the old fireplace that was demolished. We had to rip a lot of roots up with the tractor to set the bricks. We also demolished the original concrete sidewalk that was busted up pretty bad. To keep grass and weeds from growing we lined the sidewalk with 3oz nonwoven geotextile fabric.

IMG_6655.JPG

Because the exterior walls were rotten, they were removed and had to be repaired. The windows were trash. We decided to splurge and install dual French doors and extend the new deck to the French doors. The doors open up into the dining room and extend the living and entertainment area outside.

IMG_6914.JPG

New deck. We demolished the concrete back porch and replaced it with a huge new wrap around deck. We kept the deck low so it didn't need handrails and wouldn't cut it off from the large back yard.

Yes sir, I searched for it a while ago. That "Vanilla Ice" has Nothing to do with it! There are 2 or 3 December shows left to air, but No descriptions. I hate that I'll Probably miss it when ever it airs!

View attachment 258837

Former master bedroom converted to a master bath. Floor is down and framing for the water closet and walk in closet. Behind the ladder you can see the drywall patch from where we demolished the doorway leading into an adjacent bedroom.
Shouldn't those door frames have a header on them?

Non load bearing wall, flat header and no cripples is perfectly fine (per my understanding).

That is an exterior load bearing wall. Take a look at the roof structure; the roof loads transfer to that exterior wall.

Either way, there are headers in there. And you are right about not needing headers on non load bearing walls.

Ah ok. Yeah no, no header required on non-load bearing walls. Why would you need it?
Because without the header, the sheet rock is less likely to crack at the interior wall door corners as the header shrinks. All the cool kids have cracks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've often seen at least a second 2x4 on the flat. Not a true header, but added support to at least prevent sag, and strengthen the span so the drywall won't crack from flexing when the door is slammed by an angry teenager. You have girls, right? :D Especially with such a long span above. That single flat 2x will twist.
Plus at the very least it's useful as a nailer for the trim.
Same with the sides, I've always seen frames done as 2x layers. "King stud" and "jack stud". I can't imagine what would happen if somebody put a solid wood door hinged on the right side of that door on the right.

I guess there's a difference in opinion between minimum code and beefy built.
A flipped house... yeah, I guess no need to do more than required.

Dave, there is no code requirement for an interior door on a non load bearing wall for a closet.

But for those doors in question, the door closest already has triple studs on the right and is where the hinges are and for the water closet at the back, it hinges on the left and there are two studs there already. So the framing was somewhat thought out reasonably prior to installing doors. I did add another stud and header 2x4 all the way around just before I set the door. So we should all be good. :D

And, there are added floor joists under the wall location because the walls runs parallel to the floor joists and didn't land on a joist. So, I had to add a joist at each wall location to support the wall rather than relying on the subfloor.

Last edited:
Does DIY have anything to do with selling it? Didn’t know if they lined up potential buyers and had realtors for the show.

Back