1901 Farmhouse renovation

IMG_6783.JPG

Looking into the lining room from foyer and into where the dining room will be. Opened up the wall from foyer to living room and then also installed an LVL between living room and what was the old dining room, thus creating a more open concept and increasing the size of living room. LVL will be installed between the French doors to open up that wall as well. I wanted to remove the wall between the foyer and living room entirely but was advised by my SME that would likely not be the best idea since the knee bracing helps keep the building from falling down. So I removed walls to just the knee bracing. :D

IMG_6913.JPG

LVL installed between French doors. The span was like 26' and with ceiling joists just 2x8, we had to get creative if I wanted a flush LVL. So we opted for triple 7.25" tall LVLs. We decided to put the kitchen in the middle of the house to overlook the dining room and new larger living room. So we placed a couple columns where the back edge of the kitchen island would be and spaced them so the oven would be centered between them. The columns held up a girder that the two LVLs tied into. Below the columns I had to dig and pour new footers and install CMU piers with anchored and treated sole plates, filled blocks, and crush blocks to transfer the loads to the ground. There is a girder nearly between the columns that I could have tied into but it would have been a single column and would have been oddly off center of the stove and cooktop. It just would have looked weird. So, I poured new footers and installed a pair of columns. My plan was to put new columns on the front porch as well as faux columns on either side of the fireplace, so these new columns supporting the LVLs would hopefully tie it all in together.

IMG_7051.JPG

After LVLs were installed, new French doors were set, wall was wrapped, and we prepped for new siding. To the right of the deck, you can see the old wood siding that was under the vinyl siding. A lot of the old siding was in good shape and I really wanted to keep it and use it. But, all the leaded paint was peeling off and there was no building wrap behind it. So I left it and the building wrap and the vinyl siding to keep things as simple as I could. The deck was also nearly complete at this point except for the steps.

Last edited:
"open concept". "LVL". " French doors"

... Jesus. You're already one of them.
Also all things that scream anything BUT a farmhouse from 1901 :D

Also all things that scream anything BUT a farmhouse from 1901 :D

It still can be a farmhouse, just updated to market to today's buyer.

Really, who really wants to live in an actual 1901 farmhouse without some updates? Do you want running water, electricity, and heat/air conditioning?

Originally, where the kitchen and living room is, it used to be an outdoor covered patio that also served as the kitchen and eating area. I certainly don't want to restore the house to that condition. :rolleyes: That would be a true farmhouse.

Ooooooh, sounds so dramatic!
lol

And put right before Christmas... primo timeslot. heehee

Haha their gonna make it suspenseful I see!! Have you seen the edited/finished product yet or do you have to wait for tv? Maybe it'll jump start your own tv show hire a shit ton of Mexican "nc4x4 members" and become famous!! hell ya first house ya gonna get thousands of dollars in free advertising basically and it'll def sale quicker with the tv show!

:bling: just sayin...

It's a bummer with the time. I'll be on the road to Key West and won't even get to see the show when it airs. I'll have to wait for a rerun. :lol:

I wanna signed auto graph....before your more famouser. That way I can pose as a cool kid who sorta knew a much cooler kid before ha became known cool kid.

Btw, much respect for attempting much less pullling off this type of job. Especially while full time employed with young kids. I am more impressed by that fact then anything else.

Since October I've been working in Cincinnati so it's been much more difficult recently. I've been having to fly or drive home most weekends to try and finish it up. Been a real pain. I definitely have good coworkers that cover while I'm gone and an even better family for sticking with me and helping out!

It's a bummer with the time. I'll be on the road to Key West and won't even get to see the show when it airs. I'll have to wait for a rerun. :lol:
Oooooh, we see how it is.
The poor old TV star is such a hard life, b/c his debut interferes w/ his Christmas in Key West. Poor baby.

IMG_7110.JPG

We removed the old front door with side lites and installed this new front door. It's actually a normal size and is much nicer than the old one. I could see through the old one that didn't have any windows. :lol:

The time it would have taken to fix it and the broken windows in the side lites and repaint, it would have been more than a new door. So we opted for a new door.

Here you can also see the 1x8 wrap we did over the porch columns as well as the craftsman style trim around the door. The front porch framing was demolished and new treated wood framing installed and new flooring as well. You can also see the original siding beside the door that was covered up with vinyl. We removed the Dutch lap vinyl siding and replaced it with vertical board and batten siding for a little more flair. Really, with the wall where the French doors were, the siding was damaged so I needed some new siding. I didn't want to buy new siding because I knew it wouldn't match. So I just used the siding from the front of the house and bought new stuff for the front.

You can also see the ceiling in the porch. There used to be plain ol boring white vinyl soffit up there. It worked. But it was boring. And I needed some soffit at other places on the house. So we pulled it all down and replaced it with some old metal tin we salvaged and repurposed. The tin can from an old, old shed on the property that had fallen down. It's a little wrinkled but is part of the character with repurposed materials from around the property. Our plan was to paint the ceiling on the porch a haint blue.

IMG_7178.JPG

Some of the roof is on and you can see the old tin roof in the ground. There was also a layer of cedar shakes under the tin with 2 nails per shake that had to be removed as well. What a time consuming and dirty project!

IMG_7187.JPG

Now that the roof leaks are fixed with the new metal roof, we started on the hardwood floors. This is a view of the kitchen from the foyer. We repurposed most of the hardwood floors and reused what wasn't damaged or rotten. We only ended up having to buy about 180 sq feet of new flooring. It's all 3/4" red oak. We laced in the floor in the foyer and living room as well as in the master bedroom where the fireplace was demolished. Also laced in where we opened up the doorway from foyer to living room. That work was a major pain in the ass! Oh yeah, cabinets arrived and you can see some of them in the background. We used them for layout so we knew exactly where plumbing needed to go, etc since the sink will be in the island.

IMG_0001.JPG

I added some drywall around where the master shower went and added the cement board to the walls and floor. Just before the cement board on the walls was installed, we put in a pan liner to waterproof the floor since tile and grout isn't really waterproof. Then added some pre-slope for the shower floor, the curb, and then the red guard to waterproof the walls and screw holes.

Looks great!! Red guard is your friend. If you haven't already thought about trim. Consider the metal tile trim strip pcs. I like them cause you don't need to grout the joint between tile and drywall. And ya don't had to fudge with all the bull nose pcs.
What brand of backer are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Hardi backer. It's not cheap but is strong and easy to work with.

I did use some of the aluminum tile edging but not on the shower tile. I used it at the transition from floor tile to carpet and wood in the doorways. The aluminum edging works great but for this shower we were going with subway tile and it's more contemporary look didn't go as well as the bullnose tile we were looking for. But, it definetly works well at the door transitions. :)

Did you leave the red guard in stripes like that and didn't completely coat the cement board? :confused:

I thought that was normally done in (at least) two complete coverage coats, same with HydroBan and all of those products..?

Last edited:
I just used it to waterproof the seams and screw holes on the walls. Some people coat everything but on walls it's not necessary. For the floor, I already had a pan under the preslope so the red guard wasn't necessary.

IMG_7245.JPG

Rough in plumbing for the kitchen.

We decided to do concrete counter tops. So we screwed down some cement board and began forming for the counter top.

Back