1936 Ford School Bus Build (with 5.9 cummins)

Very cool project! Can't wait to see this one built!

Well here it is... Got it home tonight, in all it's rusty glory. Actually will be working on it at my parents house, that way it can stay inside.

2012-06-28_21-27-59_165.jpg

Nice thing about a bus is that you can push the engine & trans back under a doghouse to give more room for rad & intercooler

Sent via telegraph

Yea, only problem is getting a radiator/intercooler that will actually FIT. The radiator may not be as much of an issue, I don't know about custom made intercoolers though.

Yea, only problem is getting a radiator/intercooler that will actually FIT. The radiator may not be as much of an issue, I don't know about custom made intercoolers though.

If you pushed it back far enough, you could turn the rad & intercooler at an angle, each with there own fan so it pulls through sides of the hood

Sent via telegraph

There is nothing to a one-off intercooler, they sell cores in all sizes...just weld end tanks on. That engine doesn't really need an IC anyway, it especially doesn't have to have one the size of what is in the front of a dodge ram. I doubt she will be hot rodding it too much. That is going to be a hell of a project, hope you don't get too burnt out on it.

Got the frontend off, the dodge intercooler will probably fit (standing up), it might stick out a little below the grille though. A radiator will definetly have to be custom made. After some quick measurements, the cummins will sit much lower than the 460 (because of the rear sump pan), a doghouse will definetly need to be made though. Shouldn't be tough to fit it in though. Anyone need a 460 with the DOVE heads?

Braxton, as for getting burnt out on it, I am sure I will get tired of working on it, but I will say that my sister and her husband are gonna get to know drills/sanders/grinders REALLY well... I will just have to do the welding/fabrication, and most of the mechanical stuff.

Attachments

• 2012-06-29_15-46-36_358.jpg
    2012-06-29_15-46-36_358.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 666
More progress, although alot of the panels are not rusted through, they did have rust on the inside and where they are riveted down. We might not get ALL those spots, but most of the panels will be removed for media blasting or replacement. All the 'formed' panels are in good shape luckily. Gonna pull 2 motors and transmissions out tomorrow....
2012-07-01_18-18-18_304.jpg

that is cool as hell i wish i was closer i like to get in on projects like this not only is it gonna be cool to look at, but it will make a cool place to eat.

Whew, alot got done today, I pulled the motors out of two trucks, one was the 12v donor motor, the other was a 24v out of a 01' that I am using the NV4500 out of for the bus. I did make some time to put some junk tires on the 91 for one final run, I will post up the video in a bit.

lol thats cause he has nothing better to do living off the wife! Bout time you got that motor pulled man u take forever..... :D

Had to make the engine look a little better, put a new thermostat in it while I was at it. They have made good progress pulling off some of the sheetmetal, I will be ordering metal tomorrow to start some interior frame work before we take it to be blasted, I am also going to take the radiator and drop it off to see about getting one made for it.View attachment 48470
2012-07-06_12-05-08_247.jpg

bring that motor to me and I will make that bus go fast :)

Back