1960 Stude Champ

Jake_S

Hey everyone. I picked up a 1960 Studebaker Champ 3/4 ton from the Bay of E for $450 as a base for my girls daily. The floors are rusted out, but the rest of the truck is pretty solid, it has the original driveline, and factory D60 rear (4.27 gears).
The plans (for the moment):
- FSJ non-disconnect D44 front - may regear to match rear
- Grand Wagoneer 5 leaves front springs (960lb springs) or 6 leaves (1030lb springs)
- SBC of some variety
- 700R4 w/ floor mounted shifter- Sadly she doesn't drive stick and not interested in learning
- NP241 - SYE conversion
- 63" chevy springs for the rear
- Convert rear to 30/35 spline - may regear and gear driven limited slip
- New brake system - moving master cylinder to firewall, rear disc conversion, and all replace all the shot lines.
- New electrical - Just gonna use a universal GM style harness
- New column - for tilt and move ignition and wiper controls off dash
- New fuel system - move tank from cab - new fuel lines
- Weatherstripping
- Modern seats
- Rubber floor
- Figure out steering
- Aftermarket AC
- Fab flat bed with stake sides

I think that covers the basic idea I have in my head.

Here's Stew when I picked him up Saturday.
PB101034.JPG

Last edited:
That's a cool looking truck!

Creekin - I'm not set on a numerical lift value, but the goal is to have it close to the stock height of my 84 K20 and run 285/75r16 or 285/70r17 depending wheels.

I'll need to use a 31.5" front spring hanger, as the factory hangers are ~27.5" apart, to use a FSJ front axle. I think I've settled on the WFO stretch and low profile hanger. I'll wait until I have the axle and springs before I pull the trigger.

Jake

And.. the build has changed directions. After talking over what she really wants for her daily, I'm leaning towards a chassis swap using an AWD/4WD 3rd/4th gen Explorer as the donor, preferably a 4.6 to have the D35 front chunk.
Drive train will be GM (same as the original plan, just custom mounts to mate it to the chassis)
Tcase will either be a NP241 or BW4472/1372 (AWD)
Tires and wheels (unknown)
Flatbed (fuel tank in bed)

The Explorer chassis WMS dimension is close to the 61" on Stew, The 113"WB is close to the factory Champ short bed WB, and the 4 wheel independent suspension should make it a comfortable ride. Due to the floor rust in Stew, I may use the Explorer floor and seats, and the lower part of the firewall, as the floor "repair", and keep the Explorer seats and (modified) center console.

Does anyone see potential pitfalls, besides hacking up an explorer, and grafting Stew onto it, in my plan?

Jake

Just a wild idea I thought of... This stude was one of the original HD trucks available, so, if it is at all feasible, have you put any thought into changing donor vehicles to a 99-04 Triton V8 or v10 F250 or 350 Superduty?

Just a wild idea I thought of... This stude was one of the original HD trucks available, so, if it is at all feasible, have you put any thought into changing donor vehicles to a 99-04 Triton V8 or v10 F250 or 350 Superduty?

I have considered a full size as the donor, but almost all have WMS starting around 65", I believe the Super Duty's have a ~70" WMS, which is to wide for the Stude body.

The FSJ chassis' are the only "full size" chassis close to the same dimensions as the Stude.

Not much of an update, but I have a build plan finalized for Stew.

- Convert stock chassis to 32" leaf spring width using WFO stretched & low profile front hanger
- FSJ narrow track D44, convert to 8 lug using GM 3/4 ton components. This should match the rear WMS (~61")
- SUA front suspension on sing FSJ 47.5" front springs. I'd prefer to use stock height springs, but that will be based on tire fitment
- Rear Dana 60 (stock), convert from 16 to 35 spline (tubes will need to be bored)
- Rear is factory SUA, and I'll keep that setup using GM 63" rear springs with custom mounts
- Custom length shocks with adjustable valving
- 33" tires on 16x8 whels
- 3:54 gears with torsen style rear limited & locker front
- Mild SBC (streetable 300hp)
- TH350
- NP208 or NP241 (depends on front axle pumpkin)

The body will need floors, rockers, and the rear of the front fenders replaced. Luckily, there are a few repo manufacturers for the sheetmetal at decent prices. Paint will be a satin Hugger Orange with matte white roof.

The aim of the build is to make a nice & fun daily for my girl, that she can hop in and go like a modern(ish) truck, and the ride won't beat her up too much.

Jake

You ain't started yet? :D

Hahaha.. nope. I couldn't decide on a build direction, so the last 7 months was used for research, and classic overthinking.

Only suggestion I would make is the transmission. For a daily I would want an OD trans.

The original plan was to use a 700R4, but I do not think the tunnel is large enough, thus the change to TH350, plus I like the simplicity of it. If I can fit the 700R4 without hacking the floor too much, I will go with it.

Jake

So stoked, the WFO low & stretched hanger arrived today! The damn thing is made of thicker steel than Stew's frame.
(Side note: I'll need to do a lot of boxing on his stock frame to keep it from twisting apart.)

Pic of the hanger even with the front of the frame rail. This gives the full 1.5" stretch, and 2.5" drop. Now I can measure for springs (I still want to use FSJ 47.5" fronts), measure shackle placement, etc, etc..

Time to buy a welder.

Jake

Attachments

• IMG_20190805_185902264.jpg
    IMG_20190805_185902264.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 256
Update on Stew. Picked up axles last weekend and dropping off two engine blocks for machining tomorrow.
Suspension plans has changed. Going to recycle the stock springs off my K20 for Stew, so spring over front and rear with GM axles.
Should start on the suspension this weekend.
Jake

Last edited:
My Pops is cleaning his shop and offered a SM420 he had laying around, so that may end up in Stew depending on it's condition. Also grabbed another SBC 350 010 short block that will be a "cheap" build.

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_141100.jpg
    IMG_20210303_141100.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20210303_141107.jpg
    IMG_20210303_141107.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20210303_135126.jpg
    IMG_20210303_135126.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 173
Back