22re to 5.3 swap

Hunter44

Got a 1986 Toyota pickup, tons, 37s, etc. Debating on a 5.3 swap with a NV4500 and np205. Just looking for info/advice on the swap. Cost? Difficulty of converting? Do I NEED a body lift? What all do I need besides motor, ECU, wiring harness? I’m sure there’s been a thread on here about it but figured I’d open up a new one.

Drive shafts, exhaust, radiator+hoses. All the little stuff that adds up. Just remember to budget for it all.

You'll need tons of stuff...motor, harness, fuel system, cooling system, trans, motor mounts, trans mount, body lift or cut up the floor.....exhaust, driveshafts

Cost...

if you can do 100% of the installation work yourself and buy a junkyard engine, harness ecm for under a grand you should be able to get it done for $5k.

Cost...

if you can do 100% of the installation work yourself and buy a junkyard engine, harness ecm for under a grand you should be able to get it done for $5k.

It’s getting harder and harder to find complete 5.3 engines with harness, accessories and ecm for <$1000. They’re still out there but you have to jump on them ASAP when found.

Don’t forget the 4.great either. They’re no slouch either and have a slightly lower cost of entry.

The 4.8s are pretty much the same price as 5.3s now.

And them 60hs is just crazy

It’s getting harder and harder to find complete 5.3 engines with harness, accessories and ecm for <$1000. They’re still out there but you have to jump on them ASAP when found.

Don’t forget the 4.great either. They’re no slouch either and have a slightly lower cost of entry.
The only way I’ve found lately is buying whole vehicles...
Speaking of which I know where there’s. 2wd Burban 5.3 leather is rough
4l60 is..well it’s a 4l60 which is why it’s parked but 1500 would buy it maybe less

You can get a high mileage 5.3/harness for 750 but they sell as fast as they get posted

The trans will cost more than the engine, lol

Yea a nv4500 and clutch set up isn't going to be cheap. Might as well just do a th350 or 400

Personally I’d look around for mining/construction/etc. that you can pick up a whole 2500 series fleet truck that the body is beat all to shit for $1200 at a phosphate place a hour or two down the road from me. Go with the 6.0/4L80e. Buy a harness kit from BP to repin your own harness. Part out whole truck or sell the 14 bolt to someone on here before you do scrap it. Might have to get the 4L80e rebuilt, but a simple rebuild with a shift kit is plenty. You gotta do a lot of leg work and have time on your hands to make it cheap. And you’re gonna spend some time cleaning up everything too.

Yep...you can definitely find some beat up stuff from PCS or Nutrien or whatever they call it now...a lot of Trader Construction trucks too.

Wasn’t expecting to be in it $5k by no means...shit adds up fast the more I look into it
Since you can't do most of the work yourself you are probably going to spend atleast $10k.

Wasn’t expecting to be in it $5k by no means...shit adds up fast the more I look into it
You can get it under that...and the internet are full of guys so did it for $500 supposedly.

I just know the little shit adds up fast.mounts, cross members, exhaust, drivershafta, fluids, hoses, adapters, connectors, on and on and on....

Sounds like more than I want to get into. Maybe I should just start with a better platform next time, other than a 80hp 22re :D

Sounds like more than I want to get into. Maybe I should just start with a better platform next time, other than a 80hp 22re :D

I've been trying to tell you that.

It aint v8 cool but how about a 2.7 swap. More HP and a better revving engine, allows you bolt to current trans and leave drive train alone. I helped with one some years back and it wasn't a bad swap at all
If you're gonna do that, do a 3.4 and get more bang for the buck.
But you'd want to start w/ the 3.slow b/c then mounts etc would already line up.

If ya wanna go a different route, there is the Jetta swap...

The 22re platform isn't your problem.
Its everything its connected to :D

Back