22re to 5.3 swap

How about a 3.4 swap out of a 4runner or Tacoma ? Would rather stay 5 speed.
Certainly doable, its been done. That one is easier if you started w/ the 3.0 b/c the motor mounts and exhaust already line up.
I'm assuming if you have 37s, then it has been SASed. It matters b/c you need clearance for the taller motor. The original front chunk would get in the way.

You will likely need a body lift, to clear the bell housing to the firewall.

Unless you lower the engine closer to the front diff/axle.

Steering shaft can be a headache, newer Camaro LS3 manifolds help with that.

Passenger side head to firewall at HVAC bump is problematic.

Likely will need corvette accessory brackets and water pump unless you move radiator to bed.

Definitely will need car intake and probably oil pan.

It helps to cut oil pan around front diff/axle for clearance.

Not sure what front axle setup you have that’s why I say probably to most of this.

It aint v8 cool but how about a 2.7 swap. More HP and a better revving engine, allows you bolt to current trans and leave drive train alone. I helped with one some years back and it wasn't a bad swap at all
If you're gonna do that, do a 3.4 and get more bang for the buck.
But you'd want to start w/ the 3.slow b/c then mounts etc would already line up.

If ya wanna go a different route, there is the Jetta swap...

Edited to make this more relevant to the OP.

Since it sounds like the 5.3 may (or may not) exceed budget with everything that'll add up, let's explore other options. And since the 3.4 came up, let's compare the more common Toyota engine swaps.

Based on the little bit of research I've done, sounds like the 3rz may edge out the 5vz.

With the 5vz, you gotta do a hood scoop or body lift like @frankenyoter did on his Little Blue Truck build. From what I understand, it also doesn't bolt up to the W-series trans (which is likely what OP has in his '86) like the 3rz does and the 3rz is obviously lighter bc -2 cylinders.

So, other than the +40hp off the top, what do you see as the advantage of a 3.4 over 2.7? I get it...it's +40hp, but how much is that offset by the add'l weight?

Some numbers from the Marlin Crawler board for reference (The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread). Specs at bottom for better apples to apples on power.

upload_2020-8-17_8-45-22.png

Last edited:
Edited to make this more relevant to the OP.

Since it sounds like the 5.3 may (or may not) exceed budget with everything that'll add up, let's explore other options. And since the 3.4 came up, let's compare the more common Toyota engine swaps.

Based on the little bit of research I've done, sounds like the 3rz may edge out the 5vz.

With the 5vz, you gotta do a hood scoop or body lift like @frankenyoter did on his Little Blue Truck build. From what I understand, it also doesn't bolt up to the W-series trans like the 3rz does and the 3rz is obviously lighter bc -2 cylinders.

So, other than the +40hp off the top, what do you see as the advantage of a 3.4 over 2.7? I get it...it's +40hp, but how much is that offset by the add'l weight?

Some numbers from the Marlin Crawler board for reference (The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread). Specs at bottom for better apples to apples on power.

View attachment 324040

My Yota knowledge is a bit rusty but to get a 3.4 mated to a gear the gear Tcase you'll need the R150F (?) Tacoma bellhousing and then an R series trans from a Turbo truck(I think R151F). Or just run the Tacoma trans with the adapter for the gear cases.

I'm slightly partial to the 3.4 as I had one in my Tacoma but for the early trucks a 3RZ makes more sense. Plus it has a bit more after market support for power adders as they're used quite a bit in the drag racing world.

Oh, I'd forgotten about the 5MGE and 7MGE options too. Much better net HP but more work, as well.

IIRC the path of least resistance from 22re is the 3RZE as mentioned. But the gain is not massive.

Oh, I'd forgotten about the 5MGE and 7MGE options too. Much better net HP but more work, as well.

IIRC the path of least resistance from 22re is the 3RZE as mentioned. But the gain is not massive.

my 3.4 swap bolted right up to the 3slo trans (R150?) adapter to gear driven case and I was in business. I can notice a massive difference in power and have considered the LC Engineering supercharger.

And you will have to do something with the hood if you go 3.4. Hood scoop or body lift. I went w body lift because it made it easier to access transmission and transfer case bolts. Without it on the 94 body I had to disconnect my fingers to reach things.

Lexus 1UZ would be pretty rad and you could either go with the auto or adapt to R series. OBD1 made around 260 ponies & torques. Makes v8 noises too!

Turbo 3rz can make big power. Just do it.

I say turbo the 22 with a ms pro ecu and get on with enjoying the machine. The 5.3 would be a beast but a nightmare to fit. Holley sniper ecu makes it run and gives auto control and easy gauges on the cheap but fitting it and making everything else fit and connect, expensive for sure. Of course we are all spending someone else’s cash here so turbo a 2.7?

Back