304 amc valve train noise

Hulk72

Is it normal for these engines to be so damn noisy? I mean it makes sense due to the fact that the rockers are completely loose when they are unloaded, but am I missing something?

A friend of mine that is a Chevy guy told me that it can take a few miles for the new hydrolic lifters to pump up and tighten the valves. I hope that’s it.

No, it should not be Noisy. Rockers should not be completely loose when the lifter is on the base circle of the cam (no load) . The Pedestal rockers can get worn and need replacing. The earlier adjustable ones ('72 and earlier AMC V8's) can be adjusted. In either case it would be advisable to take a look at the lifters.

No, it should not be Noisy. Rockers should not be completely loose when the lifter is on the base circle of the cam (no load) . The Pedestal rockers can get worn and need replacing. The earlier adjustable ones ('72 and earlier AMC V8's) can be adjusted. In either case it would be advisable to take a look at the lifters.
Thanks for that. I am pretty sure I need to replace all the rockers and hemispherical washers. they are original and just worn. I tried to get a set from Summit but they do no have them for my engine. Come to find out the 72-73 Commando motors different than the other 304s. Any idea where I might find a full set? Summit, JEGS, and Napa have nothing for me.

Come to find out the 72-73 Commando motors different than the other 304s.
Say what? What's different with your setup?

The only difference I can think of are the earlier "bridged" style vs. later ('73?) individual rockers? Which also was a changeover year for waterpump length too... but neither were Commando-centric.

Having a hard time believing the Commandos got anything different than the CJs/Matadors/Javelins in '71-'73...
However, given the state of your engine, you sure some Ford/Chevy/IH valvetrain parts didn't get installed?

Here is my clean 150K mileage, 79, 304, rockers.

Attachments

• 20211031_233309.jpg
    20211031_233309.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 106
@Hulk72 What did you figure out?
Honestly I have not had time to pull a valve cover and take a pic, but my valve train consists of rocker studs that are 3/8" with 1/2" shoulders. There are no bridges in conecting my rockers. The hole in the rocker is large enough to fit over the 1/2 shoulder part. I am able to buy stock replacement rockers from Advance but that is the arm only (no pivot included). I really feel like I need a full set of arms, nuts and pivots, but no one sells that for my engine.

At the moment the engine is running just fine, but the valves are clicking like crazy.

Honestly I have not had time to pull a valve cover and take a pic, but my valve train consists of rocker studs that are 3/8" with 1/2" shoulders. There are no bridges in conecting my rockers. The hole in the rocker is large enough to fit over the 1/2 shoulder part. I am able to buy stock replacement rockers from Advance but that is the arm only (no pivot included). I really feel like I need a full set of arms, nuts and pivots, but no one sells that for my engine.

At the moment the engine is running just fine, but the valves are clicking like crazy.
Any status change?

Back