360 in a yj

StudNuts said:
Whats wrong with the ole 360/727/(Insert T/Case here)

Nothing is wrong with it other than they don't have a 727/(InsertT/Case here), they have a 3speed/D20. So I guess you are suggesting they go out and get a different tranny and TC that will require some (minor) fabrication to put in. I guess that is a lot different than when I suggested they go get a different tranny and TC that would bolt in without fabrication using readily available factory parts.

StudNuts said:
You only get nickel and dimed to death when cheap bastards on the board here try and piece sub-par junk they have laying around together.

I would guess that's why we have both suggested them using a different tranny and TC. Re-using the stock parts that work as the engineers designed them is the same as sub-par junk? Funny, they worked fine in the nearly 30 year run of the SJ (except the ammeters - those did suck) I supposed you re-engineered all the parts when you did your swaps.

If they re-use as much as possible of the donor vehicle, they will be putting together parts that are meant to work together and not having to go out and buy them since they are already there. Somehow I guess it does not make sense to other people to use what you have laying around in your parts bins or donor vehicles instead of spending your allmighty dollars. Oh sorry, I forgot you guys have a money tree growing in your backyards. Watch out for the ice storm up there, your assets might be frozen.

rcassettyjr, you have never met me, so i would refrain from stereotyping me without something to base it on. everyone else that agreed i am retarded actually has met me and realizes that yes, it is indeed true:flipoff2:

if you want to overthink it, be my guest. why would a 360 be so much harder than a 350, it isnt, but keep tooting your own horn and making yourself look like a dildo that types too much, nobody is reading your posts that are immensly too long anyway.

He said JU and then he said dildo....LOL

Jr. talks/types more than Rich, TheBlueYak and Bill C. combined! Unreal! Pretty good info though.

I would go with a used TF727 but I am biased.

:nopics:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_360.jpg

my rats nest.....lol
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_dfcc6184.jpg

with FI & new edelbrock performer manifold
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_4834e738.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_cedb3bed.jpg

One last pic for Jr.! He might not of seen this cool one of the CN tower.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_79914528.jpg

Let me try and help witht the stock axles question. I have a buddy who runs a 400 small block with 35" tires. He is still running his stosk axles and take it wheeling. So yes for the short term they will work. The same guy is in the process of building a set of front a rear dana 60's to replace his stock axles in the future.

Jeepnmud74 said:
Let me try and help witht the stock axles question. I have a buddy who runs a 400 small block with 35" tires. He is still running his stosk axles and take it wheeling. So yes for the short term they will work. The same guy is in the process of building a set of front a rear dana 60's to replace his stock axles in the future.

Yes he is talking about me. I am running my stock axles untill I get the 60's built. They have handled everthing pretty well so far. I have 4.88 gears with detroits front and rear. I also have one piece axles in the rear. With a smart driver you will be ok, but you can't have near as much fun.

Attachments

• webmotor1.jpg
    webmotor1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 309
  • webmotorpic.jpg
    webmotorpic.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 300
bigassedredjeep said:
that's a good looking SBC, i think its the red belts that have spared your stock axles, switch to black ones and you'll snap a shaft in NO time:flipoff2:

Those are the one size fits all belts from work. I keep them in my jeep in case one brakes on the trail. The night I got the motor in it was all I had. I have switched to the black ones now so that's why I bought the 60's.:flipoff2:

Nice red belts!!! Glad you converted to the dark side since...:beer: You's definately gonna break now....haha:beer: Better get those 60's ready....

Awesome Guys you are helping a lot. I can understand about just having parts lying around but this is really my first 4x4 modification and I just need to get started and not kill my self with stupid little stuff. I am in the military so I make squat for cash and this is an expensive hobby. And being able to reuse some stuff will be helpful. Like I said I am getting a t-case, 360,trani for $300 so is it really worth it. I think the swap will be somewhat easy but will the spare cost kill

Baby said:
Ok i have heard that a chevy small block was the easiest swap for the YJ, is that ture?

They are just about the same labor wise. Most choose a chevy due to parts are more available and cheaper, plus a chevy engine rebuild is alot less than an amc, trust me on that one.

Little lighter than an AMC, more all around after market everything, and much cheaper to rebuild. That being said, I still run an AMC 360

i just out that i am getting the whole drive train for $350 that includes a 360, T-150, amc 20 t-case, and dana 44's I think i should just throw it all in what do you guys think?

Go for it sounds like a good deal to me.

spraypaintman said:
He said JU and then he said dildo....LOL

Jr. talks/types more than Rich, TheBlueYak and Bill C. combined! Unreal! Pretty good info though.

I havnt even said anything in this thread yet haha

I did the 360 into my YJ 3 years ago. It was by far the easiest engine swap I have ever done.

I can give ya great detail in regards to getting it in there, but all of that has been covered earlier in this thread.

Do some rearching and you'll find all you need.

Hey thanks and sorry its been awhile i have been gone. So it was a easy drop any real big mod's have to be done. I mean like big mod's.

I just picked up an AMC 360, Trans, transfer case, and Dana 44's from a Wagoneer to instll in my YJ. I had an AMC 360 installed in my last CJ and it was not too difficult. I had to order motor mounts but everything else bolted right up.

This time I may have to buy the trans mount, etc. as well. I got such a good deal on everything I could not pass it up.

Back