4 Banger Wrangler

Wes

I’ve never driven nor ridden in a 4cyl jeep. I see a lot for sale reasonably priced. How disappointing will one be lifted and regeared on the highway? I hear they’re fine off road with plenty of tourque but if I got one it would be a 50/50 split with highway driving. What say you guys and gals who’ve owned or driven one?

Even stock on 30" tires and 4.10 gears, you are constantly having to down shift to maintain speed if there are any hills on the interstate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’ve never driven nor ridden in a 4cyl jeep. I see a lot for sale reasonably priced. How disappointing will one be lifted and regeared on the highway? I hear they’re fine off road with plenty of tourque but if I got one it would be a 50/50 split with highway driving. What say you guys and gals who’ve owned or driven one?

I've got one with 3.5" of lift, long arms, on 35s and regeared to 4.88. I avoid highways if at all possible. Top speed is 65, maybe 70 going downhill with a tailwind. Going uphill I'm lucky to hit 60. Its a fun ride, and does fine on secondary roads but I avoid highways. By the way, its definitely not my daily driver.

I had one lifted on 33s with the stock 4.10 gears and a 4-popper for a while. As long as you're not expecting to set any land speed records, or mind blowing 0-60 times, you'd be fine. Since there's really not any hills or major grades on the highways that I'm aware of in the Raleigh area, highway driving should be okay. If it's on 33s or larger, I'd expect to have to downshift when driving uphill. Or regear it.

EDIT: by okay highway driving, I mean not much faster than 60-65. Any more than that, and you'd probably need a good tailwind or a downhill stretch.

Many years ago, an acquaintance of mine had one, and borrowed my 5x8 utility trailer to haul his street bike to the beach. After the trip he told me that he couldn't even get up to the speed limit (65 or 70mph?).

I loved mine. Miss it every day!

Mine had 4:88 gears and 33s (makes it about stock gearing) and it done amazing off road. I never had much want for more power off road as it had plenty to do everything I needed, and I wheel hard. I beat on that jeep really bad with no issues.

I could also roll down the highway at 65-70 with the AC on no problem on flat ground. That was tacking about 3k. A hill would slow me down but I didn’t have to drop back to 4th often at all. It was not great on fuel at all as most had claimed. But my tires were very heavy. I would buy another 4 banger in a heart beat as long as it was a 5 speed. The autos will leave you very disappointed.

Cruising around town was great and not bad on gas but the highway killed it. But it’s a Jeep not a civic. When I went wheeling lots of people were shocked to find out it was a 4 banger.

I have driven mine to Indiana and Alabama a couple of times. Like everyone has said as long as your not afraid to shift often then it does ok. In the mountains you feel like a semi with everyone passing you. Mine has 4.88 and 33’s and I run a pretty consecutive 72 going up to Greensboro and about 3.5k in fifth. I am going to be selling mine soon to go with a 4.0. Mostly because I will be towing a small camper and have a roof rack loaded down to leave room for dog and other veterans.

When I went wheeling lots of people were shocked to find out it was a 4 banger.

ugly pople.jpg

:D:p

Last edited:
Like everyone has said, they are slow on the road. Mine tends to stay in 3rd gear alot, and I am rarely able to break the speed limit other than going down hill.

But the thing is, I have never had the desire to drive a wrangler without swaybars and on 35 inch mud tires faster than mine will go....

Had one in HS. 4 cyl/5spd with 32 inch BFG Mud Terrains. It was as described above but I will say I have never beat on any Jeep I have had since with the complete disregard that this one took. Launched it one time, motor mount broke, took the oil filter off and pumped all the oil out of it. It was a ways down the trail (at a pace similar to Baja) before I recognized the issue. Towed it home. New mm, oil filter, and oil and it was back to screaming. I loved that little turd.

After 03 the 4 banger had a tiny bit more power. A 4.0 is wayyyy better, but if the money is right a 4 banger is good if you just want to ride around. Besides, if you wheel any harder stuff for any length of time you’ll be wanting to LS swap it anyway :bounce:

From what I have read, the 4cyl doesn't get any better mpg than the 6cyl, so why buy a 4cyl?

From what I have read, the 4cyl doesn't get any better mpg than the 6cyl, so why buy a 4cyl?

My fuel mileage was terrible. Then I found a tiny fuel leak in the rear. Pin hole in the fuel line. Now about 16-17 mpg

My fuel mileage was terrible. Then I found a tiny fuel leak in the rear. Pin hole in the fuel line. Now about 16-17 mpg
Seems like m 4.0 got that or better stock. I recall an all highway tank on the way to the beach that was around 23mpg, but that was an anomaly of perfect conditions and non-typical driving.

6cyl actually gets better mpg. Only “advantage” so to speak is a 4 banger can usually be found pretty cheap. Depending on use/intentions with the jeep it can be a good buy.

I would never argue that a 4 is better than a 6, that’d be dead wrong. But the 4 bangers aren’t bad at all is my point. I’d prefer a 4.0, but wouldn’t shy away from a 2.5 if the price is right.

gear the fugger deep with atleast a 4.88 or even 5.13 and rock it hard. Lighter weight in the front end and less power to break parts equals win win to me. Gear something deep enough and you won't need to do a "LS" swap.

come borrow my LS yj for the weekend. then hit up @Tails. that should answer your question thoroughly.

Has anyone tried one of those flywheel weights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back