45 days and 45 nights, updated :)

:beer: for rafting in cold ass water.

Thanks for taking the time to keep this updated while on the road!

Everyone had wet suits, splash jackets, and we still froze our asses off. But it was still fun.

the girls were complaining they were just sightseeing the other day and wanted to do something adventurous. (Yellowstone is easy to drive to most of the big attractions). After today I bet your ass they don’t complain again the whole trip! :lol:

Travel day today and set up at the RV park just outside of the entrance to the Tetons.

Our drive was mostly uneventful with the exception of having to reset the air bag/auto leveling dump valve as it was stuck open from being set up at Yellowstone.

the drive through Yellowstone was nice and easy. 45mph speed limit was nice. We saw a bear cross the road right in front of us and go for a swim in the river. He was pretty darn close. Had I not been paying attention, I likely would have run him over! Was nice to see that up close.

we also crossed over the continental divide at 8800’ and had snow. Pretty wild for late June!

If anyone is in the Tetons/Jackson area and wants to stay at an RV park, I would not recommend Fireside Buffalo Valley. It’s pretty bare and rough. Convenient to the park but lacking for space, playground equipment, etc. It reminds me of a work campground for transient workers.

But, we have a spot to stay for a couple nights while we visit the Tetons and the kids are having fun.

11E7A2F4-41F7-4C44-9B95-924DB8FA892F.jpeg

Last edited:
We went to Crazy Horse. There and Rushmore are equally good in different ways. Crazy Horse is a great memorial and has some good museum type stuff where Rushmore doesn’t have as much. But the magnitude of what is Rushmore and the short time it took to do it is awesome. Crazy Horse will be the largest stone sculpture in the world, one day.

I like that there are some hiking trails at Rushmore and you can get somewhat close, for no additional $. At Crazy Horse, you can get close, at the tune of $125/person, when they are doing the close up tours.

We drove through Sturgis and skipped Deadwood. Gotta leave something for next time. :)
Idk why or how I missed you were already on this trip when I made my post the other night. Maybe it was just late or something. Lol I think I just seen the first page and didn't look at the dates.
Looks like you are already having a great trip. Life is short enjoy every second.
I was in Moab this time last year. Sure wish I was there now. Following....

Fantastic!

Happy Birthday to the girls.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Beautiful pictures! What are you using for a camera?

iPhone XR. Most of the pics turn out good but in a couple sun pics you can see the sun’s reflection in the lenses (green dot in the pic). But not bad for a phone camera. We left the DSLR camera home by accident.

bri has a 11pro that can do some cool things but mine is just the basic camera in the XR

I see on your itinerary you are headed to Dinosaur next. You'll love it. Area is loaded with petroglyphs and pictographs. One of my favorite places in the WY, UT, CO area.

I spent a week in the area back in the 90's hiking and stuff, and passed thru again a couple of years later.

The Flaming Gorge reservoir (about 50 miles from Dinosaur NM) is stunning. I'll have to find and scan my old pics...made it up there in time for one of the best sunsets ever.

Down around Moab, the view from Dead Horse Point state park is really nice, and not far from town ("far" is relative out west). Satellite pics look like they have a wall/fence at the drop now...back when I was there is was less popular/less traveled/people were smarter/less developed and you could walk right up to the edge.

And....

Not far from Dinosaur is Red Fleet State Park. 200 Million year old dinosaur tracks. Another good track site is Twentymile Wash, near Grand Staircase.

I see on your itinerary you are headed to Dinosaur next. You'll love it. Area is loaded with petroglyphs and pictographs. One of my favorite places in the WY, UT, CO area.

I spent a week in the area back in the 90's hiking and stuff, and passed thru again a couple of years later.

The Flaming Gorge reservoir (about 50 miles from Dinosaur NM) is stunning. I'll have to find and scan my old pics...made it up there in time for one of the best sunsets ever.

Down around Moab, the view from Dead Horse Point state park is really nice, and not far from town ("far" is relative out west). Satellite pics look like they have a wall/fence at the drop now...back when I was there is was less popular/less traveled/people were smarter/less developed and you could walk right up to the edge.

Yep. Headed to Dinosaur NM tomorrow. Stopping in Vernal to visit the Dino museum and see the dino skeletons and fossils. Should be a fun few days before heading to Moab.

Kayaking on the Green River in Dionsaur NM.

3128AECB-F73C-4304-9F76-3F757173B81F.jpeg
4F84695D-753D-449A-A6C6-F32B06F0E491.jpeg
22EF3445-0602-4F46-8FB3-1C4A6FEAC934.jpeg

So far the kids loved Dinosaur NM the most of any place so far with a close 2nd being the Black Hills. Dino NM is huge! And they have hiking, biking, rafting, camping, and even trail riding with the Jeep. It’s bordered by BLM land, so trail riding is abundant there.

it looks hot initially, but down in the river valley at the campground, the large camp sites are mostly shaded and cool. Good for large RVs too. We would come here again.

we made it to Moab today and will hit up Arches and Canyonlands and hook up with a few locals for a mild day of wheeling.

Where there is a will there is a way!

We tried to buy one in Moab. Everyone says either drive to Grand Junction or order via Amazon. So, we are just going to have to improvise for a few more days until we head towards Bryce/Zion and find a Wally World or something.

There's a Walmart in Durango if you're going to Mesa Verde.

Back