4x4 required?

Mine is a 2wd and I sure wish it wasn't. I have had problems moving rigs on my driveway and it is paved. It is really step though. I have also run into problems when trying to back uphill. I sure got a good deal, but I will be buying a 4x4 soon. If I can just find a way to make more money while not working any harder.... I would buy a 4x4 that could tow at 70mph with a rig behind me. It gets old sitting in the slow lane and towing at 60.

I too use low range to help manuever my loaded trailer, especially backing up the hill my house is on. 2Hi yields a lot of tranny slip.

Also, 4wd came in handy when I had to recover Kermit at Tellico. I was sure gald to have 4wd and low range getting to the bottom of upper 2 and back.

4x4

I forgot the other great advantage. I use low range almost exclusively when backing a trailer, you don't have to use the clutch near as much.

To heck with what you need. Only considerations should be what you want and what you can comfortably afford. We don't live forever and it's only a truck. If you want a 4x4 get a 4x4. I can't even keep up with how many 4WD's I have and when I look at buying something else, I'm really only interested in 4WD. Do I need all these 4WDs, of course not.
But I sure like them, and want more.

Remember, you got to focus on what you want and what you can reasonably afford. If you want justification, then "I want it" is good enough if all of the real neccessities are being taken care of.
This is trucks and toys were talking about, not life and death.:driver:

amcjeepman said:
Do I need all these 4WDs, of course not.
But I sure like them, and want more.

I'm the same way. The vehicles I have licensed and insured:
79 Chevy crew cab 4x4 with CTD
90 K5 Blazer 4x4
90 Suburban 4x4
87 Samurai 4x4
77 Chevy rollback 2WD, but have 79 4WD crew cab parts truck that will be used to convert it to... 4x4!
2005 Jetta TDI wagon - no 4x4 offered for it, or I'd have gotten it. ;)

What I don't have licensed, currently sitting in the field, that I plan to have on the road/trail some day:
79 Scout 4x4
50 Studebaker pickup to be put on 76 K5 4x4 chassis

amcjeepman said:
This is trucks and toys were talking about, not life and death.:driver:

:lol: yeah but I still struggle with being a "good steward" with what I have ;)

I have a guilty conscience I guess :lol:

cumminsdzl said:
Troy, whats the price difference in a 2wd vs 4wd in the truck you are considering?

The field is WIDE OPEN

I'm a few months off from talking figures. Generally I shop several months before making a purchase and narrow down my selections.

I've looked at everything from a 2006 Mega-cab dodge 4x4 SRW to a 92 F350 2wd DRW super cab

I've even considered my boss' 99 Suburban 1500 4x4 should he decide to sell it.

So the field is very wide at this point. Not got my heart set on anything yet

CasterTroy said:
I can understand the being a good steward with your money thing, and i agree. So, the next time it snows 6 inches and winston salem is on lockdown because all the idiots are afraid to drive, go pick up nurses and doctors and take them to the hospital, with your new mega cab 4x4.
In my mind, as long as you are not neglecting your family's needs, still able to give your 10% or more every month;) , and you can actually think of situations where you could use 4x4, i say go for it. Sure, you can get by with 2wd most of the time, but if you aren't neglecting any other obligation by getting a 4wd, then i see no problem.

CasterTroy said:
True, but remember what you can REASONABLY afford I said. People like us take that into account (stewardship) when we make these decisions. Is the diference in 2wd vs 4wd going to affect that? You may actually take better care of the 4WD due to pride in ownership, I know I would.;)

amcjeepman said:
You may actually take better care of the 4WD due to pride in ownership, I know I would.;)
No doubt about that.. He'll give it a 15-step wax process, 3m stoneguard the front end, put nice tires and wheels on it, and deck it out to be a great tow rig. He'll then tow with it once, comment on what a great time he had and how well it worked...and then of course, clean it back up.

And then just like the Bronco, he'll sell it. :flipoff2:
For the record, despite all the time and cash I've put into my truck, if a 3rd gen came up at the perfect price, I'd drop it like a hot potato..

cumminsdzl said:
So, the next time it snows 6 inches and winston salem is on lockdown because all the idiots are afraid to drive, go pick up nurses and doctors and take them to the hospital, with your new mega cab 4x4.
quote]

Of course you still have to be able to Stop a 9000lb truck in the snow/ice.

Ridgerunner said:

I've got a set of retro-rockets used to help C-5's and C-130's off the ground.

I figure if I mount them backwards and fire them when I get in a pickle I'll be OK :lol:

Ridgerunner said:

Oh man, thanks for pointing that out. No one should drive in the snow, its too dangerous.:rolleyes:

What was the point of your comment?

cumminsdzl said:
Oh man, thanks for pointing that out. No one should drive in the snow, its too dangerous.:rolleyes:

What was the point of your comment?

My point being that if I had the choice of vehicle to drive in the snow and ice a 9000lb truck would not be it. I would rather drive some with out so much Kinetic Energy. Tho it might be safer when you did run off the road :lol:

I went through the same thing this time around. 2wd is cheaper, lower maint, better fuel econemy. My Dad thought all these things and bought an 02 CTD 2x. He gets stuck in the strangest places. The biggest problem is that the diesel makes so much torque, that it spins before it has a chance to grab traction.
I bought an 04.5 4x and have used the "lever" several times with and without the trailer. the 4x4 is really worth all the downsides the day that you get the truck and trailer stuck, and geet out in 4x
Hope this helps. dave

downside?

There are no 4x4 downsides with a diesel p/u. Fuel milage is the same, the benifits by far out way 2x.

I agree that you should get the 4x4. even if you only use it when pulling a trailer on a grassy field, It'll be worth the cost. If I could, everything I owned would be four wheel drive. Just in case.

Point to add:

I have heard several 2wd owners say they love their 2wd
I have heard several 4wd oners say they love their 4wd
I have heard a few 2wd owners say they wish they had 4wd
I have heard 0 4wd owners say they wish they had 2wd

Says all I need to know;)

After driving both I can say the 2wd's usually ride a lot better than a 4wd, less BS to break in the front end. I've always had 2wd (duallys) because that's what I found when I was shopping. I've towed across Black Mt. in several inches of snow never losing tracking, I towed my rig across trail one in slightly wet conditions at Tellico from the Tenn. side to the NC. side (yes going up both switch backs) and the trucks behind me all shifted into 4wd and some still had problems. A 2wd dually is a horse of a diffrent color from a 2wd SRW. All 4 tires locked and turning in the rear hook up well. The real question should be dually or not. If you are going to DD it a dually sorta sucks for that, but there ain't no beating it for towing at any speed. It was illegal and stupid, but I've towed at close to 100mph with no worries of the trailer swaying (however) the rig was loaded on it. Plus a dually just looks like its got BALLS coming down the road...lol

BIGWOODY said:
The real question should be dually or not. If you are going to DD it a dually sorta sucks for that

DD is really out the window since I have a company silverado I drive. My personal vehicles hardly ever see use.

My taurus has been inspected more than had it's oil changed (meaning less than 3000 miles on it a year) :rolleyes: so I can afford to be totally impractical

I'm also considering 3/4 ton suburbans and excursions for the "pile" factor of getting a bunch of family/friends in there :D

Back