56 chevy seedan livery...

ord.sgt.26NC

Gott mit uns!
well guess I am gonna start a destroy/rebuild thread on the old gal.

and away we go!!!!

sedandeliveryontrailer.jpg

this when I brought her home a couple of months ago.

now she stayed on the trailer for a few weeks while I figuredwhere to put her in my yard. I bought some sheets of treated plywood and now I have her sitting just to the left, in front of my garage. The garage is too short to put all this meat in so I'll have to do alot of the work outside.

So tonight I worked on Nellie sme getting prepared for an up coming trip to Windrock. I couldn't stand it no mo and started stripping the front sheet metal.

It started with the grill and radiator support...bye bye!
sedandelivery2.jpg

and a better picture of the 67 dated 325 horse 327 with a 67 dated Holley 750 carb:
sedandelivery1.jpg

So whats your plains for it?

take it back to it's late 60s early 70s glory as a street rod. Too far gone for a restoration.

Still think it'd be cool as hell to leave the body as close to what it is now, and new suspension/drivetrain. Kinda like ratt rod, or...what Gas monkey USE to do back when Fast N Loud was worth watching

ok,been a few weeks since I started and then stopped to prep up for a trip to Windrock with ole Nellie...we had a good time.
but now it's time to get on track with Ole 56:
sedandelivery3.jpg
pulled the front off this morning.That went better than I thought it would.me too
sedandelivery4.jpg
sedandelivery5.jpg
pulled the chrome chevrolet script valve covers and this engine is clean on top side.
I hooked my ford to the starter with jumper cables and spun it over with no plugs in it.Then I pulled compression test on the 2 cylinders I could easily get to with the headers on.First one hit 175psi but the second did 100psi. I've started soaking pistons in Marvel oil and hopefully get piston rings to spring out.I'll unbolt the headers so I can get to the cylinders better and check all 8.
sedandelivery6.jpg
up in the frame picture of the Muncie 4 speed case that is also 66 to 67 dated...goes along with the engine. Wonder if the came from the same car.Oh yea,checked and the bell housing is actually an after market scatter shield.

today,I unbolted the headers.These things are old enough to actually have the generator bracket made to the plate that bolts to the head.Never seen that before.
I pulled a wet compression test on all 8 cylinders with the carb held open.Here is the run on the numbers:
1-185psi
3-186psi
5-127psi (up from 100 yesterday)
7-35psi (uh oh not good)
2-165psi
4-152.5psi
6-179psi
8-179psi
I've reloaded the low cylinders with marvel again and will sit all week soaking.I'll check them out again next weekend.
I've also gotten the carb to work all the linkages when you do the throttle.It will need a a rebuild and new steel linkages. It's also dated to 1967 and is a 750cfm vac.secondary Holley from either a 396 chevelle or a corvette 327. Still has points ignition but didn't check if it is single or dual point. The intake is a edelbrock c4b and with that holley,I won't be able to run HEI. No problems on my end with running points ignition.I gots skillz!

You can replace the points with an ignitor kit and have electronic ignition in a stock distributor. That’s what I did since there’s no clearance with the fire wall to put in a hei unit.
oh yea,I can go pertronix and I might later on.

haven't gotten much done on her.I did pull the carb off and got a rebuild kit ordered.The carb is an over the counter 780 cfm Holley with vac. secondaries and the production dates to 1967. Still have the weak cylinders soaking in Marvel oil.
It's just too freakin hot to work on her where I have her. The late afternoon and evening sun bakes the front and you can't get away from it. Gonna have to chill on any body work till the fall gets here. How I think this is gonna work out, I'm gonna pull the power train out and then separate the body from the frame. Then I can start working on the mechanicals and get the frame blasted and coated.

I have no pictures or video this evening but finally got the old girl to fire up and run for about a minute. The oil pressure guage is still hooked up and when I checked it,at a fast idle,she was pushing 50 pounds cold oil pressure.Not too shabby. I might do it again tomorrow evening and maybe get my wife to film it running . I'm tickled about that motor.

I have been working on getting a title in my name.I went friday to DMV and now have a title number issued in my name. I have to get it inspected by a DMV investigator and until he does,all I have is a psuedo registration card with my name,vin,title number,and vehicle description. I'll fax them a request today.
I have been running the engine for short periods since I removed the radiator. Took a while to get my dwell and timing set to specks and it runs pretty damn good. Oh and it has a warm cam in her. Got a pretty lope to her at idle.
My wife videoed the second start up but a friend came over and recorded it running friday. I have it on my phone and face book but I can't figure out to get it on here. Need an idea of how to do it or maybe I can send it to somebody on facebook and they can post it on here.

I have been working on getting a title in my name.I went friday to DMV and now have a title number issued in my name. I have to get it inspected by a DMV investigator and until he does,all I have is a psuedo registration card with my name,vin,title number,and vehicle description. I'll fax them a request today.
I have been running the engine for short periods since I removed the radiator. Took a while to get my dwell and timing set to specks and it runs pretty damn good. Oh and it has a warm cam in her. Got a pretty lope to her at idle.
My wife videoed the second start up but a friend came over and recorded it running friday. I have it on my phone and face book but I can't figure out to get it on here. Need an idea of how to do it or maybe I can send it to somebody on facebook and they can post it on here.
text it to me and I’ll upload to YouTube if you want. (304)777-6888

Back