56 pontiac 4x4 Project coming soon

wow its been a while since he's been banned but I figured I would update since he's no longer on the board and he is one of my brothers.

The truck we found was a 1986 chevy shortbed reg cab with a 2" lift, the wheel base difference between the two is about 4" so we might have to lengthen the frame a little bit. The motor is a 305-4 and a rebuilt 700r4 trans with a shift kit, 10 bolts front and rear with the Gov-Lock in the rear. The swap is starting THIS WEEK! Brendon at Performance Innovations is going to be doing the body swap and making the new custom body mounts, and doing most of the shifter linkages and stuff like that with us helping along the way. We are sticking with 33" tires and the 2" lift on it for now so it doesn't look ridiculously tall. And we plan to have this thing drivable in 2 months at most and have it completely done -less a paint job which will be a while- by summer time. Already cant wait to cruise the beach with it and show it along with our dads '56 two door

Teaser pics!

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2044.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2058.jpg

the front end will end up lower then it looks in the pics, and the whole body itself will be a little bit lower on the frame too. It's matching up pretty flush.
A little info on it, right now its got a chevy 305v8 4bbl with a rebuilt 700r4 with a shift kit and a stock auto locker in the rear end. Eventually after its all up and everything's working we're gonna look for a 350 or bigger so that way we can use it for towing

here's another pic
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2060.jpg

That is going to be a badass tow vehicle!!!! Keep us updated on the progress I am curious to see what it looks like when it is finished.:driver:

thanks for the update, looks cool. When I saw this back on top, I was worried some dumbass was gonna say "any updates?", then someone would say "holy old threads batman"...

more pic's, its almost there. all the body mounts are done, next is painting the whole frame then putting the body back on and then doing the steering shaft, and fuel lines and brakes-everything enough to just get it running and driving then my brothers, my dad, and i begin body work and paint.
ai228.photobucket.com_albums_ee49_performance_innovation_IMGP0197_1.jpg

ai228.photobucket.com_albums_ee49_performance_innovation_IMGP0199.jpg

here's some more pics :
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2079.jpg

brakes mounted and done
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2087.jpg

custom bent brake pedal
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2070.jpg

all the body mounts done
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2080.jpg

steering column
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2084.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2085.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2082.jpg

better view of how 1986 chevy column meets 1956 pontiac column....pretty sweet. And BTW that's not a giant whole in the floor, it's the original panel that comes out so you could work on the brakes.
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_0305091635.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_0305091635b.jpg

and cleaned and painted frame with rustoleum gloss black with bumper mounts attached. Also added a 2" reciever to the front of the frame so we can run the sams club multi mount winch. Pics of body back on with bumpers to come next. she's getting closer!!

Also a few minor plans is possibly a new exhaust either exiting diagonally right in front of the rear tires or just the same as it is but moved up maybe 6 inches at the end because the bumber mounts a lot higher than where the hitch and exhaust are, and we'd use either the same tips polished or new ones. We are also planning on adding exhaust cutouts shortly after the headers with the little plates to uncap to get that great v8 sound!
Also might possibly swap my TJ's bfg AT's with the bfg mt's since it will only see road and beach use and the AT's will be better suited for such, but thats just a thought up in the air right now we'll see if we can get the wheels polished and looking sharp first

Well we recently found out that the current truck 305 had a computer in the cab that controlled the carb and was also wired to the distributor so we might need a new carb and distributor, or may just replace the motor. A guy with a Camaro with a built 350 with roller rockers, Edelbrock intake and 4bbl carb and some other goodies, is going to be selling his motor, no word on price yet but if its not too bad then we'll just go with that motor vs putting more money into that 305 when we want a bigger one anyways.

Just wait till summer when we have a picture of this one all done next to my dad's that is an all original 29k mile '56 pontiac 2 dr survivor. We hope to get a trailer and be able to go to carshows with both and really surprise people with a 4wd '56 pontiac pulling a stock '56 pontiac.

Body is all taken care of. Note the hitch under the front bumper. WE have the champion 10k hitch-mount winch for this. What it needs other than paint is a fuel cell and possibly a new motor. We have located a nicely built 350 that would put out a good bit of power, but we also have found a 454 big block. Haven't decided if we want to spend the extra for the big block, and deal with everything else that will need beefed up eventually, but who knows.
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_DSCN2232.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_DSCN2233.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_DSCN2234.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_DSCN2235.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_DSCN2237.jpg

COOL ride I know a lot of people Don't like the car on a 4x4 frame thing but I LOVE it when it looks right!I have a 75 mustangII I want to convert over it was my first car!
Looks great!
later,

Thanks, i was not a huge fan of most car 4x4's because almost all are back yard hack jobs, and also on cars that had great potential besides that but this we had done right and being a 4dr really isn't worth much completely restored and is more unique and fun like this.

no.....please explain? As far as the build, good car choice for reasons stated. For the guy wanting to kill his Mustang, that would be a great shame. I like it, all but the view of the rear hitch, to much gap.:beer:

Thanks from the comments from the few that actually understand what we're building. And yeah the hitch will probably be cut off and moved up as well as the tail pipes. The hitch was flush with the bigass bumper that was on the '86 pickup but after mounting the pontiac and bumpers it came out really low so we are seeing how we can move it up and already have an exhaust place that we will have move the tailpipes up close to the bumpers. Worst case we will just move the exhaust and maybe get some kind of gap guard for the hitch.

The Chrome Plating and Stainless Polishing is going to cost your more than the car is worth/ever will be worth. Interesting though.
Very true, that's why this is not getting its bumpers re chromed and my brothers and I are able bodied young men so we'll be able to polish the stainless just fine. For the bumpers, worst case we are going to sand them and paint them silver. But over the past year's my dad has been collecting the bumper pieces to restore his 2door '56 and we have almost all the smaller parts but just don't have the large bottom and middle pieces. Our plan is that we'll swap over the bumper parts from our 2 door which are in quite good shape but you can tell that their not new. Then the bumper parts from this one that we don't have spares for from the 2 door will be re chromed to a new finish and put on the 2 door which is well worth just about any penny we can through at it being an original 29k mile survivor.
here's a pic of it, the bumpers look great in the pic but they have alight pitting on most but they will be good enough for the 4x4 one.
ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x267_bjharding_2007_PICT0170.jpg

my brothers prom date...from about 5 years ago.

Back