56 pontiac 4x4 Project coming soon

Well it's official, it's getting a 454 out of a 78 chevy pickup, so now we're going to have to be very careful with the skinny pedal until we get at least a 12 bolt for the rear, if anyone know's of any with 3.54's or around that number with the factory locker or limited slip let me know, don't remember what gearing it has off hand.

Thanks, this is turned into a lot nicer of a rig than we planned. Its almost going to turn into a show car. The frame and drive train are totally repainted with gloss black rustoleum, and the tranny was recently rebuilt, the 454 is getting a good cleaning all new gaskets, a repaint in classic chevy orange, new oil pump, polished aluminum valve covers with fins that match the stainless fins on the hood and a new chrome 454 air cleaner. After the body work and a the new paint job in the summer it'll probably be too nice to take offroad. So probably only a beach queen and tow rig.

hurry up and drive it! i wanna see a burnout video.....

hurry up and drive it! i wanna see a burnout video.....
HaHa burn out will be sweet with this thing, but will be on the verge of blowing up the 10 bolt. I think Brendon is going to start replacing all the gaskets on the motor this week and then it'll get a coat of paint and all the shiny goodies we bought for it at the Charlotte car show then put in, and we'll finally get to drive it hopefully!!! We're also going to get some chrome 4x4 and 454 badges for the side of the pontiac, it'll go right under the original V8 chrome badge on the front fenders. Look stock-ish, hopefully make people take a double look at it. I can't wait to go to the carshow with both this towing the 2 door. Should get some sweet looks.

need some updates

Sorry for the lack of updates. New radiator and fuel cell were on back order and just came in on the 2nd of july. We ended up having him rebuild the 454 since it was already on a stand and he was going to be digging into it anyways. 305 was pulled yesterday and 454 hopefully goes in this week. Should hopefully be driving by next week or the week after. Will get pics as soon as i can.

That is sweet!! There was an early 50s panel / surf wagon on ebay this week that I emailed to my dad. I was thinking it would be cool to put on an 1 ton, 2wd / cummins truck frame for a sweet 4 door tow rig!

I def am interested in the updated pictures!!

Pics won't be too different for a while, only thing to show of for now will be the motor. It will be a while before we get all the bodywork and paint work done. But once we get it driving I'll take some pics of it on the road, maybe get it out on the beach too. We have so many projects it will be hard to get this done quick. Got 2 other cars we need to do some bodywork on and paint, my bro's '77 vette and my '72 pontiac lemans. Then we've got to do a new floor in our boat, we are trying to build a bobbed deuce and a half....the list goes on and on. But we'll try to put everything off to get everything working on this and get it painted before the other projects, so that it doesn't look like we're driving around some redneck piece of trash.

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_DSCN2237.jpg

That Prowler looks like its just getting in your way. You can keep it at my place until you're finished. Just trying to help.

Seriously though... nice rig! Can't wait to see more progress.

Not our prowler. This is at a Performance Innovations in Wilmington. They are also doing a hemi swap in that prowler for a guy in like ohio or something, and recently just finished a hemi swap in a tj.

Its almost done! Tomorrow or the next day it will be driving! Transmission is hooked up to a B&M ratchet shifter, and the stock t-case shifter from the truck was modified and mounted to the floor in front of the transmission shifter. Motor is totally mounted, as is radiator and fuel cell in trunk. A loose few wires are being hooked up such ignition, and some other ones. Won't be long now.
Here's some pic's i took last week of the motor before it was put in and the radiator
ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x267_bjharding_2007_0720091323a.jpg

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x267_bjharding_2007_0720091349.jpg

Its out of the shop and almost done now! My dad and brother and I only have to hook up the ignition wires and fill it with oil and coolant. Here's the new motor all mounted and hooked up.
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2975.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2982.jpg

By the way, those wires hanging around-besides the plug wires- are going to be hooked up and moved out of the way and cleaned up under there.

Leaving the shop,
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/mharding72/pontiac4x4
/DSCN2969.jpg
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN2970.jpg

Head to Head with our Suburban
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN0688.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN0689.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN0684.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN0685.jpg

B&M ratchet shifter and 4wd shifter
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN0683.jpg

ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_pontiac4x4_DSCN0686.jpg

Wow, lot taller than I thought it would be! Looks sweet though, an awesome rig for cruising at the beach or to SONIC.

Thanks, we can't wait to get it running and driving this week!

Well a little update, as usual things happen and projects get put on hold. After getting it back home we didn't get to touch it for a while because my brother and i went back off to college for the school year and my dad doesn't have much time to work on it after work. But over thanks giving we brought home my dads nice 2door '56 to use as a guide for doing the wiring and stuff. We are close now, we have it to the point where it cranks using the original key and ignition cylinder, but we need to hook up power to the coil and a few other odds and ends. After we get it to run then we need to route the fuel lines and such and it will be almost there.
Anyways i though you guys might like a pic of the 2 side by side. Its a cellphone pic so not the greatest but it shows a good idea of how they'll look. And also so you guys who think we're ruining a 'classic' can see our appreciation for antique cars, this one just had no where left in life to go so this is what we came up with.
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_2pontiacs.jpg

Can't wait to get it up and going and cruise to a car show with both, or better yet tow the two door behind the other :bounce2:

-Oh yeah, also got dad to approve a trip to Uwharrie in it after its all put together. But only before the body work and paint, and no mud. But I'll be sure to get pics when we do it, it shouldn't really have any problems because my brother took the truck up there before this build and with the rear locker it just walked up everything. But after bodywork and paint only trips this will make to Uwharrie is if its towing a Jeep

this thing looks sick man. have you put any thought into pushing the front axle forward with a 56" spring swap??? i think that would make it look alot better. nice job on not hacking it together with a 20" body lift.

I like it....Bad ass beach cruiser, and that prowler looks ten times better without the front bumpers that look like shit.

Back