6.0 power stroke boost loss

rparis05

I have 2006 f250 with a 6.0. The EGR was deleted a few years ago. 365,502 miles.

Builds boost to 10 psi (per the factory gauge), and rarely exceeds that. Speed continues to increase, but not boost. It used to get to 20 psi regularly. I can hear an extremely loud blowing or sucking noise coming from the engine compartment.

An acquaintance thought it is the cold air side duct for the turbo. Thoughts on this?

Any other recommendations to check, or things to rule out? Where to start diagnosing?

The boot from the turbo is split. It's the one right on the top of the motor.
It's not under pressure at idle, so you won't find the leak just poking around. Look for soot around it though. There will be signs.

Don't get the blue silicon replacement....that'll just pop off the first time you head up the road. You need the black one...I'm trying to find the link

Last edited:

This is most likely. Just have someone rev it in idle and you should be able to locate it easily.

Don't get the blue silicon replacement....that'll just pop off the first time you head up the road. You need the black one...I'm trying to find the link
I dont care what color it is, and there are high quality silicone hoses...but the cheapest of the cheap isnt what you want here...

the cheapest of the cheap isnt what you want here...
I didn't get the cheapest...but I got the dorman replacement part. That sumbitch popped off 3 times on the way to @Jason W. and 2 times on the way back. The thoroughbred hasn't moved

OH, and only use the factory clamps

Ghetto trick that works is to go on down to the Walmart and fight of Wanda for some aerosol hair spray. Cheap is best (you wouldn’t want to use it in your hair cause the buildup). Spray the inside of the boot and the outside of the pipe. Install wet and clamp down. It’s a easily removable “glue” did it on my old 12valve that regularly saw 40+ psi and never lost a boot after this little trick.

These things also crack the bellows on the exhaust up or y pipes. It'll hiss like crazy and low boost from low turbo drive pressure. My 03 did it. I think mine hissed all the time idle, boost or whatever but it was extremely loud under throttle. Low boost and enough coal to make a flatbiller happy

It's not under pressure at idle, so you won't find the leak just poking around. Look for soot around it though. There will be signs.-

200% correct!!! Boot was split underneath where you couldn’t see. There was definitely soot present. Drives like a new truck now!!

Back