6.0 Powerstroke vs 5.9 Cummins vs 6.7 Cummins

ckruzer

Infidel
Just looking for the ins and outs.

6.0s seem to be an idol to most and do seem to have a huge aftermarket industry. that could explain the huge trend i see with 6.0 issues? Any forum or facebook group I read up on is just littered with problem after problem for these 6.0s. I have not seen the same for the 5.9/6.7 Cummins.

What are yalls thoughts? Which engine represents the best chance of purchase and drive with the least odds of issues popping up 10 miles down the road? Any of you familiar with the pros and cons of each?

the wife is getting her SUV this winter and gunna sell the car and get a truck. my max budget for this will be about $13k. and will be shopping autotrader probably and willing to drive 4-5 hours max to acquire in hopes of finding the best deal for the price. will prob be looking to pull the trigger this Feb/March. So lots of time to research research research. with this post hoping to gain wisdom/knowledge from my betters to jumpstart this research

Thanks guys!!!

(looking at 05 up powerstrokes and 05 to 2012 rams. i like the ram interior much more than the ford. but the 6.0 has a huge aftermarket suggesting reliability? just dont want to buy a high odds problematic engine)

Bought my 2003 Commonrail Cummins bone stock for $12.5k with 220ish on the clock. They’re tanks, but the trans won’t hold to anything more than simple bolt ons.

Please God stay away from a 6.0 if you plan on doing anything aftermarket. They’re quick trucks, but if you’re in the market for a “fast” diesel, you probably don’t need one at all.

There 5.9 in my opinion is a more simple engine than the 6.0. Lots less to go wrong. I would own a 6.0 if the price was right and it was bulletproofed (or whatever they call fixing the factory weak points) but I much prefer a 5.9.

Would recommend a 6spd truck if you don't mind shifting gears. I despise an auto truck through so I'm kind bias.

Bought my 2003 Commonrail Cummins bone stock for $12.5k with 220ish on the clock. They’re tanks, but the trans won’t hold to anything more than simple bolt ons.

Please God stay away from a 6.0 if you plan on doing anything aftermarket. They’re quick trucks, but if you’re in the market for a “fast” diesel, you probably don’t need one at all.

i would prefer bone stock. my theory is that the moment you start trying to change what the engineers built, you open a can of worm somewhere within the engine. I dont care to go fast in a truck. in a truck i usually tend to drive even slower than normal.

5.9 in that year will be a common rail engine, and in my experience it's been either a love it or hate it thing. I had an 06, only motor related issue I had was the number 4 injector line broke, which apparently was a common issue and the replacement fixed the cause. A lot of people report injectors going bad more often than they should, but upgraded fuel filtration seems to be the answer. IMO the biggest issue with the 3rd gen 5.9s is the rest of the truck. The front axle is notorious for eating ball joints and steering components. All can be upgraded, but something to consider if the truck you buy hasn't had it done. And like was said the trans left the factory rated to handle what the motor put out, anything more and you can plan on rebuilding it (biggest reason I sold mine).

Duane

Bone stock would be my preference too but I would suggest adding a better fuel filter setup than stock.

Newer diesels with the high pressure fuel systems really benefit from 3-4 micron fuel filtration.

3rd gens do have a bad rep for eating front ball joints and wheel bearings but some how I've had my truck lifted on 37's for the last 50k miles and at 104k my front end is still tight on factory components.

My 07 is an slt so not too fancy inside but the interior has held up great with no rattles or cracked dashes like was real common in the 2nd gens.

And if you look at a 3rd gen dodge watch for rust bubbles around the rear wheel arch. You can see the back side of the sheet metal with a flashlight if you pull the brake light out. Its a common issue that I just had to have fixed on mine.

Like mentioned above open the hood of a power stroke and then a Cummins then image changing valve cover gaskets on ether truck Cummins is a solid Motor and a lot easier to work on power strokes have to many extra parts to mess up I drive a bone stock 6.0 work truck on a daily basis knock on wood it hasn't left us stranded yet but we run the hell out of it I think that is the only reason that the egr hasn't given out yet or now that I think about it it has been eating coolant so maybe it is bad but I do own two Cummins trucks so I might just be a fan boy[emoji39]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

6.0s seem to be an idol to most
A Ford 6.0???? When did that happen??? The 7.3 is the one that's idolized of the Ford engine.

Like mentioned above open the hood of a power stroke and then a Cummins then image changing valve cover gaskets on ether truck Cummins is a solid Motor and a lot easier to work on power strokes have to many extra parts to mess up I drive a bone stock 6.0 work truck on a daily basis knock on wood it hasn't left us stranded yet but we run the hell out of it I think that is the only reason that the egr hasn't given out yet or now that I think about it it has been eating coolant so maybe it is bad but I do own two Cummins trucks so I might just be a fan boy[emoji39]

And the valve cover gaskets are a VITAL part of the PSD's.

We have an f350 with the 6.0 at the FD. It drinks coolant like crazy too, took it to the dealer and they said it was a head gasket but to keep the coolant full and keep running it until it was a catastrophic failure.

Duane

We have an f350 with the 6.0 at the FD. It drinks coolant like crazy too, took it to the dealer and they said it was a head gasket but to keep the coolant full and keep running it until it was a catastrophic failure.

Duane
This truck show's no sign of water in the oil

No but the injector harness that lives under them bastards are

Yeah but what does those harnesses hook to??

Ours doesn't either, just white smoke on start up or if we're pulling a trailer.

Duane

Ours doesn't either, just white smoke on start up or if we're pulling a trailer.

Duane
How bad is this white smoke on start up or truck does smoke for just a sec on start up but I thought it was do to the cold mornings I am pretty sure that it doesn't do it when it's warm out side

FYI Joseph and me just put his 6.0 back together last weekend he will probably be selling it in 4-5 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should we take that as a good thing???

Back