6.0 Powerstroke vs 5.9 Cummins vs 6.7 Cummins

He bought it with it missing rear gears, lock out hubs.

Since he worked at a diesel performance shop he ordered bigger injectors bigger turbo, headstuds new exhaust oil cooler, tuner egr delete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We killed the bear but poppa shot it???

I just realized you underlined “me” lol. I swapped the rear axle out did the exhaust and all other non critical parts. Gotta learn how to rebuild one somehow right?

Whatever works buddy,whatever works.:smokin:

Ford's body and frame were generally unchanged from 1999-2016 (lots of tweaks, but no major changes). The drivetrain from 05-16 used the same tcase and axles. The 5r110w transmission in the 05-10 trucks is supposed to be super stout. The Ford interior, exterior, and driveline from the bell housing back will hold up better than the Dodge. But it doesn't matter so much when the cab is off while you're spending $5k to get it bulletproofed. The Dodge will probably nickel and dime you constantly with stupid stuff though. Which do you think you can deal with better? Any sub $13k truck will have issues and require constant injections of $50-$250 on a monthly basis. I seriously considered going the 6.0 route a few months ago when I sold my 08 F250, but felt like the 11+ Superdutys were the best bang for the buck.

Yet another diesel pissing contest....
My bone stock LMM has never been in the shop for shit.
2008 cc/drw 4wd. That MF'er has pulled two rigs on a 32' trailer for over 100k miles with the a/c on 80 mph since the day i bought it. Brand new,with 36 miles on the clock.

I paid 35k for it. New. Hate away and choke on the bag of dicks you bought while you "try" to flame me.
Da truth hurts sometimes...

Also, what cab size? The Ford's have the perfect size crew cab. The 03-09 Dodge crewcab is too small, the megacab looks goofy in anything except silver, and the 2010+ are overpriced. But that's just my opinion :D

Yet another diesel pissing contest....
My bone stock LMM has never been in the shop for shit.
2008 cc/drw 4wd. That MF'er has pulled two rigs on a 32' trailer for over 100k miles with the a/c on 80 mph since the day i bought it. Brand new,with 36 miles on the clock.

I paid 35k for it. New. Hate away and choke on the bag of dicks you bought while you "try" to flame me.
Da truth hurts sometimes...
Wasn't 08/09 suppose to be the best year for those?? By best I mean most power,no def,early injector issues resolved,ect??? That's a 70K truck today.

Also, what cab size? The Ford's have the perfect size crew cab. The 03-09 Dodge crewcab is too small, the megacab looks goofy in anything except silver, and the 2010+ are overpriced. But that's just my opinion :D

I’m consider the crew or xlt for the ford or the crew for the dodge.

I would t necessarily agree on 50 to 250 a month or else it would be complete myth people driving to 300k before their first repair. That’s all gunna be based on how it’s been treated tho.

I’m hoping to obtain here is a real world “in a perfect world” understanding that you can’t really get from typical keyboard warriors on Facebook lol

I’ve planned on the 6.0 for a couple years now. But I have grown concerned over how many issues seem to prevail upon new acquisitions. “I just got this mint 6.0 six months ago and now it won’t start” and other stuff like that. I am not finding anything like that for the 5.9 but i could be very wrong lol.

I’m cool with age and replacing things that fail and preventive maintenance. What I want to avoid is picking an engine that has a higher chance of requiring large purchases to bring it back to life. Why TF would I drop 10+ on a truck just to have to spend 5-8 more within two years to rebuild engine and trans?! My bean counter mind can handle it lol and neither can it handle dropping 36k liquid on a new truck either.

(Yes I dug my own hole between two rocks) lol

I agree that Dodge's crew cab is too small, but the mega cab is tits in any color :flipoff2:

Duane

How bad is this white smoke on start up or truck does smoke for just a sec on start up but I thought it was do to the cold mornings I am pretty sure that it doesn't do it when it's warm out side

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

It's noticeable on start up but not obnoxious, but we don't drive it often, and when we do drive it it usually has a trailer hooked to it. Then its decent smoke on acceleration but cruising is ok.

Duane

I have been steady looking at and reading about trucks over the last 2 years, especially the last few months as I also plan to buy soon. At this point I’m mostly leaning towards an LBZ or LMM Duramax.
I absolutely love 05-07 Powerstrokes, but I’m too scared of the motor even bulletproofed. I think the 6.0 is a great engine once that has been done, but that cost a lot of money and then you still will probably have to put injectors in it too often. Haven’t ruled it out though, they are plentiful on the truck market.

Someone mentioned not changing what the engineers designed, well they really dropped the ball on he 6.0 so that needs to be addressed.
Duramax is my #1 choice and I love the 06-07 body style and reliability of the LBZ.
Repairs are still gonna be expensive but not as often hopefully.

I think it’s safe to say the Cummins engine in the years you stated and up, are rock solid and hands down the best on the market. I personally hate everything else around that engine myself. They’re ugly, interior sucks, and everything else wears out too fast. You are the first person I’ve ever heard claim they prefer the Ram interior over the Ford. But that is just my opinion and that doesn’t matter.

I am 99% sure I will not by a Cummins in a few months. The 1% exception hinges on the small chance my buddy makes me a good deal on his fully deleted 6.7 6 speed truck that I know has been taken care of good.

I should close my worthless comment by stating that I do not and have not owned any diesel period, YET. I’ve just been around several for a long time, and I believe I have read nearly every thread on the web about this truck vs that truck, and all the common issues with the big 3.

Last edited:
@77GreenMachine I have heard the duramax is the hardest and most exp to work on? I seem to recall someone once saying that when a Chevy diesel breaks down its better to just buy another one?

I do like the ram interior over the ford. Much more modern I think. I like the simplicity of it. Not a fan of the curves in the ford. I also just found out you can bolt in newer ram seats in these older rams.

I really hope the 6.7 PSD are resolved of the sensitivity to voltage that plagued the earlier motors, especially the 6.0. Get some weak batteries or an alternator that's on the fritz and the crap will hit the fan. I've seen everything from FICMs failing to transmissions shifting funny just from that. I don't think I could own ANY diesel truck that had a CP4 either, so the 6.7 Ford would be a no go for me anyway.

Of the ones you listed, I'd have to go 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins. My cousin had one of each when he lived in Valdez and Kodiak and loved them. That 6.7 was a whole different animal than his earlier 5.9 too.

As a reply to the above post...an LMM is basically an LBZ with DPF that GM stuffed in a heavier truck. If I had to own anything besides my LB7, I'd probably go LMM. Once you wade through all of the overpriced LBZs, you can usually find some decent deals.

There's an LLY that just popped up in the for sale section here...it's a decent deal and pretty low miles if anyone is looking!

As a reply to the above post...an LMM is basically an LBZ with DPF that GM stuffed in a heavier truck. If I had to own anything besides my LB7, I'd probably go LMM. Once you wade through all of the overpriced LBZs, you can usually find some decent deals.

Agreed. The LBZ classics are over priced. I like the LMM trucks. I would want to delete it. My understanding is it is basically exactly the same as the LBZ just 5hp more and added DPF.

As for repairs, the “theory” is that Duramax would require less repairs, less often compared to Powerstroke.

My friends 6.7 Cummins gets great fuel mileage deleted, and pulls like nothing I’ve ever seen. I imagine they all do, they are very impressive engines.

These trucks are kinda known to rust. I think in your price range you will find most have some rust unless you find one from out of state

Nothing to add...other than I’ve had two diesels for the landscaping bidness. I’m a ‘ford guy’...and this is my experience with the 6.0...

374E5969-25B7-4075-A64E-168F8A3D3BEF.jpeg

Yeah yeah...bullet proof and they’re bomb proof. And by this point, I’d imagine most have been. Just leaves a bad taste. So I went with the 6.7 Cummins...more than your budget, but it does rotate the earth.

750440D5-1E3C-4D10-9940-94449C231E28.jpeg

Beyond that...I know a bunch of guys in my groups love the 5.9 for Fummins swaps. Bet I could get you in a 73-79 Ford with 5.9 for under $13k.

The Ford interior, exterior, and driveline from the bell housing back will hold up better than the Dodge.

Come on. I own Fords. You've owned Fords. That fix or repair daily thing isn't a joke, and we both know it.

Bone stock would be my preference too but I would suggest adding a better fuel filter setup than stock.

Newer diesels with the high pressure fuel systems really benefit from 3-4 micron fuel filtration.

He's talking about buying a 15yo truck with 200k on it. That fancy aftermarket fuel system will never pay for itself at this point.

@CasterTroy comment on Cummins fanboys inflating prices in 5..4...3...

You know what...you can straight up kiss my......wait....

hesright.jpg

Damn fanboys :kaioken:
****Disclaimer: Everything I'm about to say is JUST my opinion.....****(I have to put this here or Shawn will set aside a solid week to fact-check everything I've said and compose War & Peace to refute everything :flipoff2:)

You're fooked at $13k looking for a cummins unless it's a Gen 1 2wd single cab, then you have the ricer crowd that's discovered their potential and snapping THOSE up for sleepers :shaking:

When it's all said and done, you'll likely pay more than you want for either. If you get a cummins, you will pay MORE for a good truck that's not got 1/2 mil miles on it. If you get a cherry low miles 6.0 that's not been studded you'll eventually pay for head gaskets and ARP studs, EGR delete...etc. It's been my experience that in the END you'll pay about the same, so it's just up to your personal preference.

I'll quote Matt from another thread:

They all have their pros and cons; I like Chevy for ride comfort and ls platform, dodge for Cummins-... and nothing else, ford for the spacious cab, 5r110, and cheaper to maintain (chassis) per event.

THIS!!!! My best friend has been the lead mechanic at Cummins Atlantic in GSO for YEARS and has championed the cummins long enough for me to KNOW how good they are, but IMHO almost everything that surrounds that engine is just sub-par. Whether it's fit and finish, dash disintegrating, or tranny issues. Plus (again IMHO) the dodge has always been the ugly sister of the big 3. I had no issues with Chevy, other than the IFS and the fact that the chevy forums were littered with misinformation on which motor to avoid. Too many L's and B's and whatever...so I resolved to just stick to gas if I were going Chevy.

I had a $9k budget back in 2010. I knew what I wanted: Chevy, GAS crew cab, 4x4. Found one @Toyota Dad had on his lot. Even came with a snow plow!! It was PERFECT. Took the wife up to see it and she pulled the whole
eww.jpg

I'm not riding in THAT!!!!

Yeah it had paint fade issues, a tear in the drivers seat, but mechanically it was FINE. Still...NOPE! But...I got a boost in my budget :rockon:

For $18k you CAN slip into the diesel world...but you won't find a cummins with less than 150k, a chevy that hasn't been run harder than a Klinton assassin, or a Ford 7.3 (the previous holy grail)
In the end I found a 5 yr old 6.0, dually, crew cab, 4x4, that had 75k miles on it. It looked brand new. I couldn't pass on it.
I've had no regerts (but I knew what I was getting into)

@Jody Treadway why a manual over a auto?

Because the dodge tranny has a reputation worse than a 6.blow head gasket

We have an f350 with the 6.0 at the FD. It drinks coolant like crazy too

Mine started drinking coolant....turned out the thermostat housing was cracked. Had EVERY sign of a blown head gasket....wouldn't leak until under a heavy load...then it would spray the car behind me. Housing fixed that.

Honestly....here is "the perfect truck"

perfect truck.jpg

Last edited:
We have an f350 with the 6.0 at the FD. It drinks coolant like crazy too, took it to the dealer and they said it was a head gasket but to keep the coolant full and keep running it until it was a catastrophic failure.

Duane

Is it a Brush or Rescue Truck, or just something you guys use to haul equipment? I don't think I'd accept "running it until it was a catastrophic failure" for an emergency vehicle!

Last edited:
My bean counter mind can handle it lol and neither can it handle dropping 36k liquid on a new truck either.

Which one of the big 3 sells a new diesel truck for $36k? I honestly haven't looked, because I am WAY too tight to buy a new diesel truck. I was however under the impression that the stripped down work trucks started in the $40k's range, and the fully optioned models were as much as a house.

Which one of the big 3 sells a new diesel truck for $36k? I honestly haven't looked, because I am WAY too tight to buy a new diesel truck. I was however under the impression that the stripped down work trucks started in the $40k's range, and the fully optioned models were as much as a house.

last i checked the models all started around 36ish for diesels for single cab base models. i forgot my "+" sign lol

I have had a 7.3/6speed that was great, sold it and got a 2003 6.0 Excursion, I had it bulletproofed and have done various other mechanical upgrades. I bought it with about 180-190k it has 267k on it now, it has had some issues but has never not gotten me home.

I will actually be selling the excursion now because I just bought a 2005 f350 that already had a 24v Cummins swapped in...

I feel like @ckruzer is trolling us, tbh.

I am as big of a fan of the 6.0 as you will find. Sort of.For the money you will get your best bang for the buck today in a 6.0 IF you know how to check it out and know what you are buying.
No where in that stretch did I say its the best engine of the bunch. Its not. Hell it resulted in a class action lawsuit against Ford and a separate lawsuit between Ford and International that ultimately dissolved a 30 year working relationship between the 2 companies. The 6.0 has its problems.

But folks are so scared of them that its driven the market price down 8-10k compared to its competitors, when you coul potentially have every problem known to haunt the trucks (few if any have them all) and pay someone else to fix them all for $5k, and at that point have an essentially "new powertrain".

If its all about the engine, the Mechanical B may be the most reliable and durable power plant ever put in a light duty truck. Th B series dates back to 1984, and the block/crank/head design dates back to 1968. Whatever problems they had Cummins worked out of them long before Dodge ever dropped one in a truck. They still have known issues, but (mechanically timed IP on 12V and lift pump/cavitation/IP on later Bs) but if you are just buying an engine buy a 5.9 and end the thread.

The problem isnt the Cummins its the shitty box they put it in. Sorry to all the dodge drivers but the late 90s-about 2009 Dodge trucks are garbage. Their auto transmissions are about as stout as a popsicle stick eiffel tower. Even their manuals have issues.

If you are moving far enough forward to talk about ISBs (6.7 CTD)...you arent getting it in your price range or if you are there are other issues you dont know about. That engine is good, but its not in the same class as the 5.9 for reliability.

Back