6.0 Powerstroke vs 5.9 Cummins vs 6.7 Cummins

Im finding many 2005 to 2010 dodge and ford with <200k for <$14 within a 300 mile radius. Only one duramax so far tho in that price range.

A158764D-E6E4-49E6-9866-AB43B53C8468.jpeg

That’s my 3rd Gen. Hate that I have to keep it on the stock tune after doing 90hp injectors and a Fass 150 with all the other goodies. Stock trans didn’t like the load under lockup. But I haul at least 9-10k in that setup with 37’s on my cummins workout a problem. Usually runs at 13-20lbs of boost depending on mph and grade.

I feel like @ckruzer is trolling us, tbh.

I am as big of a fan of the 6.0 as you will find. Sort of.For the money you will get your best bang for the buck today in a 6.0 IF you know how to check it out and know what you are buying.
No where in that stretch did I say its the best engine of the bunch. Its not. Hell it resulted in a class action lawsuit against Ford and a separate lawsuit between Ford and International that ultimately dissolved a 30 year working relationship between the 2 companies. The 6.0 has its problems.

But folks are so scared of them that its driven the market price down 8-10k compared to its competitors, when you coul potentially have every problem known to haunt the trucks (few if any have them all) and pay someone else to fix them all for $5k, and at that point have an essentially "new powertrain".

If its all about the engine, the Mechanical B may be the most reliable and durable power plant ever put in a light duty truck. Th B series dates back to 1984, and the block/crank/head design dates back to 1968. Whatever problems they had Cummins worked out of them long before Dodge ever dropped one in a truck. They still have known issues, but (mechanically timed IP on 12V and lift pump/cavitation/IP on later Bs) but if you are just buying an engine buy a 5.9 and end the thread.

The problem isnt the Cummins its the shitty box they put it in. Sorry to all the dodge drivers but the late 90s-about 2009 Dodge trucks are garbage. Their auto transmissions are about as stout as a popsicle stick eiffel tower. Even their manuals have issues.

If you are moving far enough forward to talk about ISBs (6.7 CTD)...you arent getting it in your price range or if you are there are other issues you dont know about. That engine is good, but its not in the same class as the 5.9 for reliability.

i probably should have left budget data out of the original post, as it is all anyone is focusing on now. a budget is a budget, thats all. doesnt mean im pennyless after the budget... my hope with this thread was actionable information i could use to make the best choice. i get that each are going to have its issue. frankly the "looks" of each are not really in the picture. Really just trying to focus on the powertrain and the drivetrain. Would like to know just the basic real world pros and cons of each so i will know what i am getting into.

So far all i know for certain is if i get a 6.0 i need to be prepared to have $5k set aside to be spent within the first year or two to bulletproof it. I have now learned in this thread if i get the auto trans attached to the 5.9 im looking a trans rebuild or swap (but havent seen any info regarding what could be swapped in that is better?). Duramax still seems to be elusive in this thread. a couple comments about comforts.

Youve mentioned a few others now the great reliability of the 5.9. If this is true sounds like we got a winner? But to address the trans. Bone stock will the trans last after a rebuild? Can it be built with aftermarket parts to better withstand, like the chevy 4L/6L trans are so easy/cheap to do? Maybe there is a another trans that can be swapped in that is better? Or if electronics are not an issue the ford trans behind the 5.9?

View attachment 259758

That’s my 3rd Gen. Hate that I have to keep it on the stock tune after doing 90hp injectors and a Fass 150 with all the other goodies. Stock trans didn’t like the load under lockup. But I haul at least 9-10k in that setup with 37’s on my cummins workout a problem. Usually runs at 13-20lbs of boost depending on mph and grade.

3rd gen is 5.9 or the 6.7? Is the 5.9 turbo stock?

frankly the "looks" of each are not really in the picture. Really just trying to focus on the powertrain and the drivetrain.

I'm a "function over form" guy all day long.....(engineer o_O) but consider the fact that you're spending all of your time in the cab of that truck. To quote yet another thread:

If you end up with a 3rd gen Dodge, you won’t regret the Cummins, but as far as comfort goes, it lacks a lot; the seats suck. I’ve had two back surgeries, and since about June, I haven’t been able to drive mine more than about 2 miles without the seat killing my back, so I’ve been driving the wife’s car. I kept reading about how much better the 4th gen seats are, so I took a chance and ordered a set off eBay. Put them in last weekend. Wow, what a difference! Now my wife can have her car back! It is definitely an upgrade you should consider if you get a 3rd gen Ram.

I bought my 2001 Quad Cab, 4x4, 5spd, short bed, Dodge CTD in the fall of 2006 for $15,000 with 166k miles on it. I've still got it and it now has about 230k miles on it (not my DD).

Regarding Matt's post about $50-$250/month in expenses, here are my results. I put this together some time back, and updated with the latest repairs:
Ram expenses.jpg

$3,621 in repairs over 11 yrs doesn't seem too bad to me.

I've been considering selling it and upgrading to a newer truck (5-8 yrs old) since this one is about to be 17 yrs old. Every time I look at newer truck prices though, I am shocked, and decide to keep it another year or two, LOL.

Last edited:
3rd gen ram , plan on replacing the water pump and A/C compressor between 150 and 200k miles, other than that i have zero other issues, except i added a better clutch to hold the power, currently at 210k, DD clutch and tuned since i got it at 100k miles. It was between a 5.9 cummins and a 6.0 ford when i was looking, i just couldn't wrap my head around having to spend that much to bullet proof it eventual. Everyone i know has had issues as the miles increase.

i would prefer bone stock. my theory is that the moment you start trying to change what the engineers built, you open a can of worm somewhere within the engine. I dont care to go fast in a truck. in a truck i usually tend to drive even slower than normal.

I will probably be one of the only ones on this website to agree with you about this. With 230k miles on my 17 yr old engine, it has only had a wrench touch it twice. Once to change the water pump, and once to replace the MAP sensor.

If I want to go fast, I will buy a fast car. I've had several over the years. The truck gets my trail rig to the trails with no problems with the stock motor and tune, and I get to keep my money in my wallet.

I’m on diesel #3 in my lifetime and this is the first one I haven’t f’d up with mods. If you plan to find a virgin and keep it that way (I bet there are few on here that can give that kind of “experience”) your best bet would be the 5.9 Cummins with a manual or just like @Paul said, a Duramax with an Allison. Just my $.02

I bought my 2001 Quad Cab, 4x4, 5spd, short bed, Dodge CTD in the fall of 2006 for $15,000 with 166k miles on it. I've still got it and it now has about 230k miles on it (not my DD).

Regarding Matt's post about $50-$250/month in expenses, here are my results. I put this together some time back, and updated with the latest repairs:
View attachment 259760

$3,621 in repairs over 11 yrs doesn't seem too bad to me.

I've been considering selling it and upgrading to a newer truck (5-8 yrs old) since this one is about to be 17 yrs old.

Heck yeah man. That is an easy pill to swallow. Id be happy for ongoing mx to be as minimal as that!

But folks are so scared of them that its driven the market price down 8-10k compared to its competitors, when you coul potentially have every problem known to haunt the trucks (few if any have them all) and pay someone else to fix them all for $5k, and at that point have an essentially "new powertrain".

The actual, real-world delta between equally-equipped, equal mile Fords and Dodges is $4k. Period. The 6.0L Ford is $4k cheaper than a 3rd gen Dodge.

Once you "bulletproof" it, the Ford is about the same cost or slightly more. But here's the kicker - "Bulletproofing" isn't permanent. There are shit tons of people out there that have had their 6.0 "bulletproofed" two or three times.

The only people I hear complain about how shitty Dodge interiors are and how shitty Dodge trucks are, are the guys that have only ever owned Fords. How the fuck they'd know what the maintenance costs are, I don't know.

The only people I hear complain about how shitty Dodge interiors are and how shitty Dodge trucks are, are the guys that have only ever owned Fords.

Well now you know at least ONE who's owned 3 chevy trucks, as well as 2 dodge trucks :flipoff2:

I just sold a one owner, tastefully modded 2002 Cummins on here 2 yrs ago for 13k, it can be done.

If anyone says they’d rather work on a 6.0 Ford than a 5.9-6.7 Dodge they’re either lying, ignorant or just plain stupid.

All 3 have good trucks, it’s just a matter of preference and the lesser evils of the year models.

Well now you know at least ONE who's owned 3 chevy trucks, as well as 2 dodge trucks :flipoff2:

If you and I are thinking about the same one, he essentially said, "fuck it, they all have issues, I'm just going to buy whatever is most cost-effective and run it into the ground."

So he bought a gas truck. :flipoff2:

"Bulletproofing" isn't permanent. There are shit tons of people out there that have had their 6.0 "bulletproofed" two or three times.

And that is my biggest fear above all. I have been looking into 6.0s and planning on one for quite awhile with a friend of mine (who likes them alot). Just very worried about purchasing another money pit.

The only people I hear complain about how shitty Dodge interiors are and how shitty Dodge trucks are, are the guys that have only ever owned Fords.

opinions are like assholes. everyone has one lol. personally i like the interior of the dodge ('04.5 and up) more so than the SD fords. Drove a military SD for years so very familiar with the interior comforts. And I have been in dodges for many miles. I do agree that the ford does feel more comfortable oem, but i personally like the look of the dodge interior better. seat comforts can always be upgrade for a few nickels lol.

If you and I are thinking about the same one, he essentially said, "fuck it, they all have issues, I'm just going to buy whatever is most cost-effective and run it into the ground."

So he bought a gas truck. :flipoff2:

Umm...no....he (ME) bought a 6.0 :flipoff2::D

If anyone says they’d rather work on a 6.0 Ford than a 5.9-6.7 Dodge they’re either lying, ignorant or just plain stupid.

Aww man C'mon....cab comes off on the dodge just like a Chebby and Ford :D

cumminsbroke.jpg

chevybroke.jpg

To your point though, you speak the absolute truth:

All 3 have good trucks, it’s just a matter of preference and the lesser evils of the year models.

What are you willing to tolerate more? Errrbody has preferences

@Curtis_H had a 6.0 for a time. Threw a bunch of money at it, it was a good truck though, most of his expenses were preventive. Ultimately he went back to a Cummins due to cost and ease of working on it. He can chime in himself but, he did a bunch of stuff on his Cummins working on it himself removing the intake a few times and such. It was simple and roomy enough for him to do on his own, the Ford however had to have the cab removed, had tons of stuff in the way under the hood, and the parts alone were much higher. It just isn’t nearly as easy to work on.
Even with all that said, my thick skull would still consider an 05-07 PSD and take my chances for the right price. I don’t even understand what I just typed and what is wrong with me....

I have no problem with my Dodge interior other than the cracked dash. I don't get why people hate on it. It is a fucking truck, not a Ferrari.

Aww man C'mon....cab comes off on the dodge just like a Chebby and Ford :D

View attachment 259764

That picture has been bugging me ever since you first posted it. Why the fuck did they pull the cab?

EDIT: Figured it out! They wanted to wash the back of the cab where it's up against the bed. Seems legit.

I have no problem with my Dodge interior other than the cracked dash. I don't get why people hate on it. It is a fucking truck, not a Ferrari.

Lol no kidding. And the cracked dash was always so easy to fix with a dash cover. On my '01 dodge that i had i just epoxied the dash and ran it lol. Its a truck man. I keep a clean environment but dang,.... smh

Fully deleted 2010 3500 4dr dually 6.7 CTD/6spd auto. My next service interval will be 322,000. DD duties I average 20-21mpg. This past summer we pulled our 43 foot toyhauler (18,900lbs. on the Cat scales) for 3,700 miles around the county to include through the Rockies. Towing mileage for the trip sat right at 10.9. It’s an SLT so the interior is utilitarian but it has the technology package so all the electronic bells and whistles. I love it. Been looking at lower mileage options but they are stupid expensive and because my truck has so many miles the dealership laughs at me about trading in. As far as the 6spd automatic goes it has been a champ. Done regular services to it but no hard parts. I have noticed when I bump the programmer up to performance it will shudder under load going into O/D so I just keep the tuner in Tow/Haul all the time and ride out.

Back