6.9 idi dump truck…

No I have not. Not saying they are ugly. That is Chevy's job. :laughing:

I’ll paint the dump truck to match this f350. 2-tone Ford bronze to match for the win! And to hide some of my upcoming half ass rust repairs. :D

38F2C7F4-8507-44C1-989C-4E00777F4153.jpeg

Tried starting it cold this morning. Nothing. A quick squirt of ether and she fired right up! Glow plugs and harness ordered. I already have a few relays and push buttons, so going to get the glow plugs switched over to manual.

Window sweeps ordered. Door handles ordered. And found chrome front grill, headlight bezels, and windshield trim to spruce it up. And looking for interior parts…
Just saw them feed one to the crusher that had a a pretty good interior lees the dash pad.Ive been around several of these trucks w the 6.9 and it seems you can never ween them from the shot of juice every morning.Theres a glow plug controller that screws into the block(or maybe intake) that goes into the coolant and iirc youre not suppose to try and start it for 15 mins until that thing has time to read the coolant temp to know how long to keep the glow plugs on.Been along time since Ive been around one.

Just saw them feed one to the crusher that had a a pretty good interior lees the dash pad.Ive been around several of these trucks w the 6.9 and it seems you can never ween them from the shot of juice every morning.Theres a glow plug controller that screws into the block(or maybe intake) that goes into the coolant and iirc youre not suppose to try and start it for 15 mins until that thing has time to read the coolant temp to know how long to keep the glow plugs on.Been along time since Ive been around one.
62early.jpg

I have basically the same truck that I'm parting out, if you need anything. A lot of people end up putting the glow plugs on a push button due to controller issues. Just wanted to throw that out there as an option. I've also ran into issues with the fuel system staying primed. Does it start any better if you start it every day vs letting it sit for a week? Or is it all temp based?

I have basically the same truck that I'm parting out, if you need anything. A lot of people end up putting the glow plugs on a push button due to controller issues. Just wanted to throw that out there as an option. I've also ran into issues with the fuel system staying primed. Does it start any better if you start it every day vs letting it sit for a week? Or is it all temp based?

It all seems to be temperature based. It was 85* out the other day and no start without a squirt. I do have new glow plugs here and waiting on a new harness. Then will route the glow plugs to a push button in the cab.

I do need a few misc parts if you have some available.

Dash pad
Bench seat
Hood release cable handle
Chrome front grill and headlight bezels
Heater core that doesn’t leak

I’m in no rush and I do have a local source for these parts but I haven’t had time to run there and pull them.

It all seems to be temperature based. It was 85* out the other day and no start without a squirt. I do have new glow plugs here and waiting on a new harness. Then will route the glow plugs to a push button in the cab.

Dash pad
Bench seat
Hood release cable handle
Chrome front grill and headlight bezels
Heater core that doesn’t leak

I’m in no rush and I do have a local source for these parts but I haven’t had time to run there and pull them.
The dash pads I have all have the speaker grille rotted out. I have 5+ bench seats. What color do you need? Cloth or vinyl? Pretty sure I have a good grille and bezels. I can't say if the heater core I have is good or bad.

It should start at 85 degrees without glow plugs. You may have an injection pump wear issue. The first symptom is normally hard starting. If the engine is at operating temp, does it start ok or does it still need a shot?

The dash pads I have all have the speaker grille rotted out. I have 5+ bench seats. What color do you need? Cloth or vinyl? Pretty sure I have a good grille and bezels. I can't say if the heater core I have is good or bad.

It should start at 85 degrees without glow plugs. You may have an injection pump wear issue. The first symptom is normally hard starting. If the engine is at operating temp, does it start ok or does it still need a shot?

Bench seat…. Interior is blue but I’m ok with most any color. Cloth or vinyl is fine; I’m sure it will be better than the one I currently have, which is mostly direct tape and a few springs.

My dash pad speaker grill is long gone as well. May just foam it up and dye it black as I have headliner speaker pods that mostly work.

At operating temp, it starts just fine, no issue. Cold, it won’t start. Even after trying to crank it multiple times. A quick squirt of starting fluid and it fires right up.

Bench seat…. Interior is blue but I’m ok with most any color. Cloth or vinyl is fine; I’m sure it will be better than the one I currently have, which is mostly direct tape and a few springs.

My dash pad speaker grill is long gone as well. May just foam it up and dye it black as I have headliner speaker pods that mostly work.

At operating temp, it starts just fine, no issue. Cold, it won’t start. Even after trying to crank it multiple times. A quick squirt of starting fluid and it fires right up.
I think I have a couple blue vinyl seats. I'll look on Tuesday. May even have a cloth one. If you're starting at temp, it prob is glow plugs. IIRC, the IDI 7.3 we had, that had a weak pump, got harder to start at temp.

Do the glow plug push button or toggle style with new glow plugs. That should help a lot. If she fires up without a snort after she’s been running then the injec pump is probably good, when they go out, they’ll crank until the cows come home sometimes.

We had one years ago that we ran a hose out of the ac window, straight to the intake for single person, cold weather ether port injection. Hit the glow plugs, give her a snort and hope you don’t hear a bang.

Dash pad
Damn near impossible to find.They all have a hole in em where the speaker goes.

Back