84 Xcab college hillbilly build

Jeff H

i think my 4runner is in too nice of shape to beat up anymore so i went and bought this 84 extra cab last night, runs great and has cold a/c i figured the cab, motor, tranny and axle are worth the 600 i paid for it but the frame is shot to hell so i have to do a frame swap and i cant do that till july 4th when my mom is at the beach so she dont kill me for tearing apart a truck in her front yard

aimg149.imageshack.us_img149_39_yota5.png

yota4.png

aimg248.imageshack.us_img248_2840_yota3.png

yota2.png

got to love angle iron and metal ties holding your frame together

sorry about the bad pics i have to use my cell phone because my dog ate my camera but ill have to get a pic of the side view you can see the frame sagging and the flat bed leaning aginst the cab holding everything together haha and also i drove this thing home 3 hours after i bought it, im in college so i dont know how fast this build will be but i broke up with my girlfriend about a month ago and its amazing how much more money i have now

to do list-

frame swap

RUF

chevies in rear

rattle can paint job

hysteer with hydro assist

5.29s with locked f and r

find good deal on irocks or pbrs

custom flat bed

wish list-

4 link in rear

arbs

it is pretty scary im climbed up there today and really checked stuff out and ill have to post pics up cause it was making me laugh how bad this frame is and its still going... but it is a toyota so what else should i expect but to be :driver: it forever

it is pretty scary im climbed up there today and really checked stuff out and ill have to post pics up cause it was making me laugh how bad this frame

dont do it!!!! dont go to pushing on anything, id hate to see on the news where your truck fell in on you :huggy:

scored a 84 frame today for 100 but i have to wait for my mom to go to the beach to do everything if i want to stay alive haha

I think that frame will buff out...

Your not kidding that frame is BAD!

Wow!!

wow i thought my frmae rust was bad!!! oh well, just needs some lovin

who needs a frame swap throw more angle iron an metel ties and your good for another mile or 2 lol. I does kind look like the on we jumped and it fell in 2

yeah its bad but i like it it drives good and its what i wanted for a toy, mom leaves for the beach this weekend so i hope i can everything done before she gets back, ill use my buddies camera when i do the swap and get lots of pics cause everyone loves pics right

yea i can see it now.. your going to be half done when she gets back and there is going to be crap everywhere.... :lol:

good luck man your probably going to need spome new bolts.

Dude the body isn't exactly rust free either.
What you need is a "whole truck swap"...

on rust on the body is above the driver finder, and a little surface rust here and there, no rust inside or out other than that no worried about the fenders because there going to get beat anyways and yeah the frame swap might be a pain but its what i wanted in a toy so it should be fun to build, and im thinking it will give me a good chance to clean and rust proof the new frame, clean and rust proof my axles and do my ruf and 63s also going to be able to clean up and engine and tranny and rust proof the bottom of the cab so all in all i think the work will be worth it

also here is my runner that i think is too pretty to keep beating
runner1v.jpg

aimg811.imageshack.us_img811_4057_yotabumper2.png

frame is home in the dirveway, fun stuff starts now, big props to shane(90jeepman) hes a good dude and nice to do business with, thanks man :beer:

got home late but got a little done tonight, took the fram down to bare metal and put a first layer of paint on, plan to put another on before i go to work tomorrow then start moving stuff over
new frame, 1985 4runner frame
aimg42.imageshack.us_img42_8456_frameswap001.jpg

aimg807.imageshack.us_img807_6760_frameswap002.jpg

this thing is amazing and is what allowed me to just rip off surface rust and paint, gotta love having a dad who has bad ass tools
aimg691.imageshack.us_img691_7756_frameswap004.jpg

my helper for the night
aimg697.imageshack.us_img697_8761_frameswap008.jpg

first layer of paint on
aimg714.imageshack.us_img714_9270_frameswap009.jpg

aimg444.imageshack.us_img444_131_frameswap010.jpg

paint of choice for first coat
aimg256.imageshack.us_img256_696_frameswap013.jpg

i used a the air powered 3 inch wire wheels you can see in the pictures to sand everything down and a small 2 inch one for the tight spots but i really love my dad for this compressor because it ripped the frame bare no problem, so now that the boring prep work is done by this time tomorrow im hoping to have a rolling frame, i was going to go ahead and do my rears up front and 63s in the back but since im short on time im just going to switch over all the stock stuff for now

didn't get a lot of work done over the weekend, i was busy with work and ended up going out for the forth but i think i can still get everything done by sat. i got everything stripped down and got the engine and tranny pulled tonight, i had planned of just pulling the body right off the frame with then engine and trany still in but when i really got to looking at everything it seemed this would be a lot more work so i just pulled the engine and trany as a unit and tomorrow ill get the axles done out and then clean up the engine and axles real bling style, i also have a couple oil leaks to fix while the motor is out, btw pulling carb motors is so much easier and faster than pulling efi's here are a couple pics i didn't stop to take many, but this is all boring work anyway but enjoy, i also orders my bud built boom shackles today so after i get everything moved over i can start my ruf and 63's
all stripped down
aimg59.imageshack.us_img59_1608_yota1.png
aimg228.imageshack.us_img228_2840_yota3.png
found a little surprise
aimg149.imageshack.us_img149_1921_yota2.png
and the engine and trans pulled out
aimg248.imageshack.us_img248_1289_yota4.png

Back