84 Xcab college hillbilly build

so yeah my mom def showed up last night, saying she had something important to take care of at work today, pissed about something already she pulls up to see the yota in about 100 pieces and her eyes teared up, so instead of yelling and killing me she just tears up and makes me feel like shit and tells me it better be gone when she gets home sunday, no i guess i better double time and get this done because my 4runner is sitting in her driveway too with the motor getting a new head and i hate making my mom feel bad she puts up with enough but seeing her tear up was worst than the G** D****T Jeffrey @#@!# !#^*&!^@*!^*&@^#*&!@*&#^!*&@^#*&!^@*&# so be ready for some real progress happening

i know the feeling jeff... i use to live in mooresville a few yrs ago.. if i was still there i would come and help you. i hope you get things put together. im sure that in a few yrs you will be able to look back and laugh. good luck

please see post 16 for Irony.

awww man that sucks. ive had that happen. wait.......... no i aint. my mom would just give me the ole "ill knock your teeth down your throat young man!!" scares teh crap outta me to this day. anyways. hope all goes well. make sure to eat your weaties this mornin

lol yeah funrunner you called it but got the axles out and some buddies coming over to lift the cab off then i can start putting everything together and hopefull have it atleast looking like a truck sunday night when she gets home

its sitting on the new frame with the motor in, everything is not hooked up but it looks like a truck and it out of the front yard, will post pictures tomorrow

so i got it done, the hardest part i would say was getting the old leafs off, all the bolts were so rusted that when i put the impact on them they just rounded off so after getting pissed off i just pulled out the cutting disk and went to town, in one case i even cut the leaf spring because it really pissed me off
aimg709.imageshack.us_img709_1088_yota11.png

leaf spring from hell
aimg822.imageshack.us_img822_1855_yota14.png

so after i cut everthing up i had to put the axles under the new frame and get them rolling so i can move everything to the driveway and i found these killer sweet shackles, i like them a lot and think they will be perfect for the trail or even going 80 down the freeway :shaking:
aimg205.imageshack.us_img205_7789_yota7.png

btw i would not use these for anything but pushing your rig around in the yard there scary, but on the bright side they did lift my rig about 4 inches. :lol:
so after i got the axles on i put the motor in and went to put my crossmember on which i had sat in the back of my truck with the tail gate down and my truck was blocking my brother in so he drove my truck to the gas station and didn't close the tailgate so i now have no crossmember because it slung out somewhere so i just held the trans and xcase in with a chain while moving it and then put a jack under it when i got it in the drive way, to lift the cab up i got my pawpaws old A frame and with a tow strap through the cab and a come along on each side i jacked the cab right up with someone holding the front so it dosn't nose dive and held it in place with the bumper jack, after the cab and frame were seperated and hooked the chevy up to the frame and pulled it out.
aimg337.imageshack.us_img337_39_yota5.png

aimg576.imageshack.us_img576_9094_yota6.png

after the frame was out we rolled the new frame under the cab, we had one person on each corner of the cab(the front was def heavier than the back), used one person to steer and one the push, the frame rolled right under and then when we got the front of the cab and lifted the cab over the motor and down into place, it took a little bit to get everything to line up nice but it was pretty easy, i was really suprised how easy this was, but im sure have 8 guys there to help made it real easy, but even with 8 people there, i still seemed to do most the work while they drank my beer :lol:

^this is me standing on one foot and using my other foot to push the driver side of the axle back to get the body mount bolt to line up, the 8 ppl who came to help were drinking beer, laughing like hell and calling me monkey man at this point. the front two body mounts lined up fine but the back one was off about a foot, should i move this mount or will two be enough?
so i sill have to hook the motor and everything up, get a rear driveshaft made, make a front square driveshaft, buy a crossmember and then put on my ruf and chevies but the yota is in the driveway and it looks like a truck so that means i cant get yelled at when the mama gets home
yota15.png

i have the factory X member you can have. i have a bud built one now so the other one is just a tripping hazard in my yard

funrunner thanks but its about a 2 1/2 hour drive to get to you so ill prob just end up picking on up at pull a part, and i plan on building a flatbed out of tube, havn't really figured out the final design but i want somewhat of a usable bed space with the tube going up and over the cab making a roof rack and then into the cab connecting to a inner cage, but all of that wont happen till this winter so untile then ill prob just make a space to carry a spare and small tool box.
its prob going to be about 3 weeks before i can get this thing wheelable because i have to rebuild the head on my 4runner(it didn't like running 7k in the mud for about 3 mins) and once i get that running again ill be able to get tires, weld the front and lockright the back

Back