98 TJ won’t run

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Collin Crosby, Mar 25, 2020 at 7:52 PM.

1. Collin Crosby

Collin Crosby Member

Hey y’all hope everyone is doing good with everything closing down.
    I got a problem and don’t know where to start I got a 98 TJ 4.0 that was dead last week so I figured I left something on and charged the battery. Battery held a charge and I drove it to work when I was ready to leave work it was dead again so I jumped it off and I figured the alternator was bad drove home and changed the alternator now it won’t run it will start good but no fire.

I’ve replaced:
    Alternator
    Crank sensor
    Battery
    Spark plugs

Ive check:
    Fuses and relays
    Grounds

All I got is a test light and the ignition coil is not getting any power when the key is on and while starting

I don’t what to do anymore everything looks fine I’m wondering if messed up the Ecu or something jumping it off or disconnecting the battery while it’s running any suggestions will be appreciated thank you.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 9:16 PM
  2. Drunktaco

Drunktaco Active Member

When you turn the key do the lights, radio, and everything else work it just won’t crank?

I had that issue a while back on mine and behind the key cylinder is a square plastic rod that goes into the ignition switch, mine had broke/wallered the slot out and was slipping when I was trying to turn it over to start, when you pull it the key cylinder and stuff out, you’ll see a little square switch, stick a screwdriver or something in it and cycle it through the positions and see if it’ll start.

3. Collin Crosby

Collin Crosby Member

Yeah I looked it and it was moving when I turn the ignition but I don’t know if worked good enough it’s orange right

4. Drunktaco

Drunktaco Active Member

That red circled piece is what’s usually broke. It goes into a square hole/switch that as the key turns it makes stuff turn on, engine start etc.

Attached Files:

5. Drunktaco

Drunktaco Active Member

Any update man?

6. Collin Crosby

Collin Crosby Member

Okay and yours mm
    not yet do I gotta pull the steering wheel or take those special torx bits bolts out to get it off

7. Drunktaco

Drunktaco Active Member

It’s been a bit but steering wheel stays on, Pry the key insert cover off and a couple of screws top and bottom on the cover and pull the cover off the steering column. There’s 3 maybe torx bolts holding the cylinder in. Take those out and everything should slide out. I’ll go do it and take some pics if you want. I can do it in probably 10 mins. Its not too bad, just pull stuff apart, there’s not much to put back together.

Not sure what the “Okay and yours mm” is about but hell yeah either way lol

8. Collin Crosby

Collin Crosby Member

You don’t have to I gotta get those special torx bits with the hole in the middle to get it off everything closing early and wasn’t able to get them today and I was about to reply to your other post and notice you sent another one

9. Drunktaco

Drunktaco Active Member

gotcha. It’s not too bad man. That’s probably the problem. The connection piece can be hard to find. I junk yarded mine and in the mean time I used a screw driver to start my Jeep lol eBay probably has them if that’s what it is.