99 power stroke low on power :-(

Yep, I am at 215K Smokes some in the cool weather until it warms up then it stops. My mileage is shit though. Changed oil every 3K religiously & I have about 90K on 50/50 diesel/veggie grease.

Many folks use something like bg cpr to clean the oil side of these injectors and report good results. You might try a quality fuel treatment for a few tanks of straight diesel fuel. As you know we dont work on any veggie oil burners so im not sure how that recommendation would jive with the veggie oil lol. I can't say that I agree with hpop reservoir oil changes. If you've ever ran a 7.3l with the valve cover off you realize that it exchanges oil very quickly. I don't suppose it could hurt anything wither though lol.

O! OK well I guess coming by and looking at it will not work!! Lol !!!! I would say find a friend close by with a stock 7.3 and compare it. I know mine stock was pretty weak! Even with all that is done to it and in tow mode hauling my Toyota up a hill I am at maybe 3/4 throttle

O! OK well I guess coming by and looking at it will not work!! Lol !!!! I would say find a friend close by with a stock 7.3 and compare it. I know mine stock was pretty weak! Even with all that is done to it and in tow mode hauling my Toyota up a hill I am at maybe 3/4 throttle

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hand calculated my fuel mileage today. Towing my Jeep up I-81 from Abbington to Roanoke at 62mph I got an even 11mpg. My Hemi Commander got 11.5 on the same stretch of road towing the same Jeep/trailer at 72mph. Something is not right! This 7.3 should be getting 15 towing, not worried about the speed so much as I am the mileage. I'm disappointed to say the least! I want my Commander back.

I checked the up-pipes today, no leakage. The EBPV checks good. I'm running out of things to check

I hand calculated my fuel mileage today. Towing my Jeep up I-81 from Abbington to Roanoke at 62mph I got an even 11mpg. My Hemi Commander got 11.5 on the same stretch of road towing the same Jeep/trailer at 72mph. Something is not right! This 7.3 should be getting 15 towing, not worried about the speed so much as I am the mileage. I'm disappointed to say the least! I want my Commander back.

I checked the up-pipes today, no leakage. The EBPV checks good. I'm running out of things to check
Boost, fuel pressure, cylinder contribution would be your next steps in my opinion!

I've never gotten 15 out of mine, loaded or empty... Best I've gotten towing is right about where you are, especially in the hills.

You are getting some bad info somewhere. 15mpg towing is a myth. My bet is that your truck is fine.

I've never gotten 15 out of mine, loaded or empty... Best I've gotten towing is right about where you are, especially in the hills.

You are getting some bad info somewhere. 15mpg towing is a myth. My bet is that your truck is fine.

This. And I'd venture you didnt get 15 towing with the commander either.

Though to be fair, I can get 14.5 towing light (single vehicle/open trailer) in my truck if I keep the foot out of it. OR I can approach 10 mpg if I drive normal

Even with all my basic 7.3 mods and a light foot I never saw 15 towing unless it was from Boone to Lenoir or Deep Gap to Wilkes and I could just coast the entire way. I would usually see around 11-12 loaded down with my Xtra Cab Toy, heavy 18ft equipment trailer and all my gear for a weekend. And that number was after all the mods and driving normally. Fuel mileage would fall flat on its face after 65 in that truck. ZF6, 3.73 gear and 285 AT's. 3-5kmi oil changes, fuel additive with each tank and fuel filter every 10k. That truck got 16mpg unloaded at best (85hp performance tune) going to Miami/Keys a few times. Full tank of fuel in Charlotte and I didnt stop til just around St. Augustine, FL to fill up usually.

Dang! I should have kept my gasser!

I may have helped it today. I picked up a new IPC from my local Ford deadler. I used my fleet discount and got it for $120. I immediatly hear a difference in the idle and it will spin the tires taking off in 1st now and it wouldn't before. I hear the turbo now too! I think the old IPC was bad but not tossing a code. I think the truck was in limp home mode.

This thread is so full of win....

It's is about a 7.3l....don't get your hopes to high lol
Ding ding ding.

7.3s run forever because they don't make enough power to break themselves.

Last edited:
Ding ding ding.

7.3s run forever because they don't make enough power to break themselves.

This...its the 22r of diesel trucks. They get the job done, its not the most glamorous or most powerful diesel out there but they do the job. That said, I would own another 7.3 in a heartbeat. They just work. Its just rare to find one that isnt overpriced and/or shitbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that it runs right, I'm impressed. I have a boost leak to fix now but thats a good problem to have. I don't think this turbo has had to push air for a long time in this truck. I think this IPC sensor has been bad for a few years, probably why it sat so long and then the man decided to sell it. Its a early 99 with only 85k on it

Now that it runs right, I'm impressed. I have a boost leak to fix now but thats a good problem to have. I don't think this turbo has had to push air for a long time in this truck. I think this IPC sensor has been bad for a few years, probably why it sat so long and then the man decided to sell it.
You mean ICP, right?

IPC, Internal Pressure Control Sensor. Located behind the alternator and in the head

Seems like you are combining a few things.
There is an
ICP - Injector Control Pressure
and an
IPR - Injection Pressure Regulating Valve

This IPC you speak of Ive never heard of. But Ive only owned a couple 7.3s.

close enough :rolleyes:

Rookie
icp.jpg

Back