A question for someone who knows about car laws in NC

Pathmaker

My friend has a 1970 Chevy Malibu. He said that at the beginning of 2005 his car was officially 35 years old, and therefore an antique, and no longer needed an inspection sticker and he could also use a 1970 license plate without re-registering the new plate to the vehicle. I know there has to be something wrong here, does anybody know?

hmmm

He right about the inspection sticker, but I doubt he is about the plate. If thats the case all the bank robbers will have 35 yr old hotrods! I have a 68 Jeep truck and don't have to have a sticker on it anymore either. I like the rule, wish it was 25 instead of 35 though LOL
Chip

so how does that work ? You just don't need to bother getting a sticker at all? As in just skip the inspection all together ? If so I like the sounds of that. Anyone have any thing official (web site?) Thanks -yag

well a quick google search reveals all.. :) My 46 jeep is now a very happy jeep..

Summary:
"In the 2003-2004 Legislative Session, N.C. G.S. 20-20-183.2 was amended by adding a new subsection that became effective January 1, 2005:"(a1) Safety Inspection Exception.- Historic vehicles, as defined in G.S. 20-79.4(b)(17), shall not be subject to a safety inspection pursuant to this Article."

The section referenced above concerns specialty license tags, and defines a historic vehicle as "a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture."

The upshot of this is that if your vehicle is 35 years old or older, you are exempt from annual safety inspections. As this is a brand-new law, it might be wise to carry a copy of the statute with you, since it is possible that not all law enforcement personnel are aware of the change.

Also, if you were not aware, N.C. G.S. 20-63(d) allows you to run a year-of-manufacture tag on your historic vehicle. The statute states that "any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person."

Again, the historic vehicle owner is advised to carry a copy of this statute in the vehicle, just in case."

G.S. 20-20-183.2
http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByChapter/Chapter_20.html

G.S. 20-79.4
http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-79.4.html

G.S. 20-63
http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-63.html

While reading i also noted several other items that ill be printing out to carry with me..

20‑127. Windows and windshield wipers.

(a) Windshield Wipers. – A vehicle that is operated on a highway and has a windshield shall have a windshield wiper to clear rain or other substances from the windshield in front of the driver of the vehicle and the windshield wiper shall be in good working order. If a vehicle has more than one windshield wiper to clear substances from the windshield, all the windshield wipers shall be in good working order.

Key word is "AND" has a windshield :)

mike covered it... i've got a vehicle in the same situation. it's a 68, and i run "antique auto" tags. you can run tags of the vehicle year though, provided you also have a current new tag. you are still required to pass a safety inspection.

Do we know if this is from date of manufacture or from the "Model year"? My 1972 Commando, that has been licenced and titled as a 72 it's whole life has a manufacture tag of "Nov, 1971"

RufusTheRam said:
mike covered it... i've got a vehicle in the same situation. it's a 68, and i run "antique auto" tags. you can run tags of the vehicle year though, provided you also have a current new tag. you are still required to pass a safety inspection.

That is the entire point you DO NOT have to have a safety inspection or any kind of insepction at all.... all you need to do is go into DMV get a tag and then you are done... THIS only started this year...

but just to point out you are still liable for your safety.. which means if your lights or turn signal do nto work they can still give youa ticket :)

lomodyj said:
Do we know if this is from date of manufacture or from the "Model year"? My 1972 Commando, that has been licenced and titled as a 72 it's whole life has a manufacture tag of "Nov, 1971"

this will go by what the registration says on it..

so it has to be registered as a 1970 or older...

3 years to go for me... :D

That is the entire point you DO NOT have to have a safety inspection or any kind of insepction at all.... all you need to do is go into DMV get a tag and then you are done... THIS only started this year...
oh, wow i didn't even notice the first part. sweet, mine is (was) almost due.

well after going back and reading this... from what I am reading you actually need to have a HISTORIC PLATE on the car or you have to do the inspection. (I did not read this the first time)

License Plate:
"(17) Historic Vehicle Owner. – Issuable for a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture. The plate for an historic vehicle shall bear the word "Antique" unless the vehicle is a model year 1943 or older. The plate for a vehicle that is a model year 1943 or older shall bear the word "Antique" or the words "Horseless Carriage", at the option of the vehicle owner."

BRUISER said:

but just to point out you are still liable for your safety.. which means if your lights or turn signal do nto work they can still give youa ticket :)
To clarify, you don't have to actually get an inspection, but you have to meet all the requirements to pass one.

BRUISER said:
well after going back and reading this... from what I am reading you actually need to have a HISTORIC PLATE on the car or you have to do the inspection. (I did not read this the first time)

License Plate:
"(17) Historic Vehicle Owner. – Issuable for a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture. The plate for an historic vehicle shall bear the word "Antique" unless the vehicle is a model year 1943 or older. The plate for a vehicle that is a model year 1943 or older shall bear the word "Antique" or the words "Horseless Carriage", at the option of the vehicle owner."

ya i saw that also, but it says "as defined" not somthign like meeting the criteria, also with the use the old plate deal, you still need a regular plate with you but can swap on the old one... Ill try it but i defintly dont want an antique tag... uggg...

Back