Alternator Delete Mod ::: MPGs

Y'all silly fuckers know that Delphi is already doing this shit on new cars, right? They don't have alternators or starters. They have a little electric motor hooked to the serp belt and to a 48 volt battery. The motor acts as starter, auxillary power for WOT acceleration, and regens on decel. Engine accessories are electric wherever possible. Gas motor shuts off whenever it's not expressly needed.
New cars??? Hell who can afford new cars???

Y'all silly fuckers know that Delphi is already doing this shit on new cars, right? They don't have alternators or starters. They have a little electric motor hooked to the serp belt and to a 48 volt battery. The motor acts as starter, auxillary power for WOT acceleration, and regens on decel. Engine accessories are electric wherever possible. Gas motor shuts off whenever it's not expressly needed.

Most cars with a stop-start engine mode that aren't hybrids have a integrated starter-generator or reversible alternator. We get them as rental cars all the time, I hate them.

The aux power and regen would make it a hybrid.

Most cars with a stop-start engine mode that aren't hybrids have a integrated starter-generator or reversible alternator. We get them as rental cars all the time, I hate them.

The aux power and regen would make it a hybrid.

You get new full size pickup trucks as rentals? Baller.

You get new full size pickup trucks as rentals? Baller.

We actually do sometimes, if rental pickings are slim when we arrive, mostly Rams or F-150s but they're the normal year old or whatever. Just run of the mill rental car crap. Are they doing stop-start on pickups now?

I'm talking about Impala, Malibu, Fusion starting in 2013 roughly that have the factory stop-start. Shuts off when you come to a stop, then starts again when you press the gas.

Last edited:
We actually do sometimes, if rental pickings are slim when we arrive, mostly Rams or F-150s but they're the normal year old or whatever. Just run of the mill rental car crap. Are they doing stop-start on pickups now?

I'm talking about Impala, Malibu, Fusion starting in 2013 roughly that have the factory stop-start. Shuts off when you come to a stop, then starts again when you press the gas.

This is stop/start, cylinder deactivation, and an auxiliary electric motor all in one package.

remember when the big MPG savings was the tailgate net?

heres all I know. my company makes small 12v motors for the auto industry. radiator fans, heater fans, power window motors etc. awhile back we launched a brushless HVAC fan. the old brushed motor sales price was $7, brushed is $43 the selling point to call for that price point? not MPGs, but infinitely variable speed (to be used in thermostatically controlled hvac cars) and low noise/vibration; low amperage is seldom discussed to customer during sales pitches. they dont give a rats ass about the amperage/efficiency. they only care that they dont have to add in more noise dampening so the car weighs less. backwards math, but thats the auto industry.

The F150 eco boost my BIL has shuts down at red lights. I wouldn’t own the POS personally but whatever floats his boat.

Back